"Eek, an Urchin!" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from Season 9. In this episode, SpongeBob discovers a sea urchin in the Krusty Krab and enlists the help of Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and eventually Plankton to try and catch the vermin.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton (mentioned; only heard)
- Plankton's death robot (debut)
- Sea urchins
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Bikini Bottomites
The episode opens with SpongeBob cooking a Krabby Patty. When he pours ketchup on it, he accidentally gets some on the floor. He then proceeds to clean it up with a spray bottle and a cloth, but he ends up spraying himself in the face and drops the can of spray under the grill. SpongeBob goes to grab at the spray the first time but pulls out a skull. He throws it away and then he tries again only to pull out a sea urchin. The urchin crawls around SpongeBob and he tries to get Squidward to help him. Squidward eventually comes to the kitchen to see what is going on, only to find the urchin is on his foot. Both SpongeBob and Squidward call Mr. Krabs for help and Mr. Krabs enters the kitchen. He doesn't believe them at first, until he finds the urchin on his claw and he jumps onto the grill, along with SpongeBob and Squidward. Unfortunately for them, the grill is still on and all of their feet get burned. SpongeBob, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs each jump into a bathroom stall cooling off their feet. The three try new ways to get the urchin out of the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob tries to catch it in a bucket but ends up getting smashed into the wall and ends up in the bucket himself. Mr. Krabs tries to hurt the urchin by smashing a broom on it but Mr. Krabs gets beaten up in the process. SpongeBob then tells Squidward to stop the urchin before it gets into the dining room but he only steps aside allowing the urchin to pass by. The urchin causes trouble in the dining room by being on a Krabby Patty, being swallowed then coughed back out by a fish, and even has a lady eat off one of its quills. The urchin goes back into the kitchen much to SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward's reliefs. However, when SpongeBob mentions the urchin, the customers suddenly start running all over the place causing chaos.
Plankton, meanwhile, is heading up to the Krusty Krab with another plan at stealing the Secret Formula by using glasses as a disguise. However, he ends up being trampled by the customers and heads inside to see what is going on. Mr. Krabs isn't happy to see him as he states that they have enough pests already. Plankton is confused until he looks over to see the urchin. Plankton jumps onto SpongeBob's face saying how he hates those things. He concludes that he cannot steal the Secret Formula with the urchin running around and promises that he won't steal the formula until after the urchin is caught. Mr. Krabs reluctantly agrees to the temporary truce claiming it will take a pest to catch a pest. Plankton then calls Karen on his cell phone telling her to send over his Death Robot. Then after he called Karen the robot appears in the Krusty Krab with Plankton saying that this is their champion. Mr. Krabs is angry but Plankton says it isn't in action mode yet. Plankton sets the robot to take out the urchin where it begins chasing it down. However, the robot viciously begins destroying everything in its path while trying to smash the urchin. The urchin eventually hides in Mr. Krabs' cash register and when the Death Robot tries to attack the register, Mr. Krabs gets in the way. The robot accidentally rips off Mr. Krabs' shell and arms then puts him back together. Mr. Krabs asks for the mallet from the robot then starts to smash it over and over again eventually turning it into a lunchbox. Mr. Krabs then calls for SpongeBob to open the register while he catches the urchin in the lunchbox. When SpongeBob opens the cash register, the urchin is seen eating Mr. Krabs' money. Mr. Krabs, furious, then begins to smash apart his cash register, hoping he got the urchin. However, the urchin is on his mallet freaking out Mr. Krabs. Squidward then appears grateful because his prickly plant is safe. When Plankton walks beside the plant, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs have an idea much to Plankton's worry.
Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob then start to create a cactus costume for Plankton trying to make him look like the urchin. They also paint the costume blue and puts a pink bow on top thus making Plankton look like a female sea urchin (even calling him Planktonella). Mr. Krabs then throws Plankton into the kitchen, hoping that he'll try to lure the urchin out by charming it. Plankton walks around slowly until he finds the urchin. He works his charms which the urchin actually falling in love with him. Things get too tense for Plankton after the urchin touches him and Plankton ends up under the kitchen grill. Plankton then finds 100 more sea urchins that then proceed to chase after him. Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob then block off the hole with the cash register boat and boarded up the back door preventing the urchins and Plankton from escaping. Plankton is soon taken by the urchins asking for help. Squidward then wants to put an end to all of this and uses the thermostat to turn down the temperature in the kitchen causing Plankton and the urchins to slow down. He turns it all the way down causing them to freeze in place. SpongeBob is then ready with a trash can with Mr. Krabs turning back up the heat causing the urchins to defrost and fall into the trash can. Mr. Krabs then tells SpongeBob to take the urchins farther and farther away many times. SpongeBob then stops and releases the urchins into the Krusty Krab unknowingly. while he walks off whistling.
- Someone using a telephone or cell phone.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Pirate's Opus - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [title card]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["Cleaning time!"]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob sprays his eyes by mistake]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [Spray can rolls beneath the grill]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob reaches beneath the grill]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [urchin crawling all over SpongeBob]
• Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Nothing ever happens in this dump."]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [SpongeBob runs around screaming]
‣ Winds of War [#8] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob and Squidward leap onto the grill]
‣ The Creature (b) - Gregor F. Narholz [Krabs leaps onto the grill]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 14 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Squidward, Krabs in the bathroom]
‣ Mystery Murder [#60] - Phil Green [SpongeBob captures the urchin under a bucket]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs hits the urchin with a broom]
‣ Shock (f) - Dave Hewson [customers panic]
• A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton walking to the Krusty Krab]
‣ Shock Happening 1 - Harry Lubin [customers rush out]
• A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton's glasses broken/"Plankton!? Ah that's all we need."]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Plankton sees the urchin and screams]
• A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton proposes a truce]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 2 - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton's robot arrives]
‣ Creeping Up [#63] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Aha! Bingo!"]
• Star Trekkers 3 - Steve Marston [robot chases the urchin]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 16 - Jeremy Wakefield [Robot gives Krabs his shell back/Krabs makes a lunch box out of the robot.]
• Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Okay, maybe the death robot wasn't the best idea."]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["Me money!"]
‣ Danger Sign - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Krabs smashes the cash register]
• New Vibe Hits 2007 - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gasps]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 5 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"]
‣ Lonely Stranger - Laurie Johnson [SpongeBob and Krabs disguising Plankton as an urchin]
• The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton in the kitchen, looking for the urchin]
‣ Cute and Lovable - Phil Green ["Hey there, handsome!"]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [urchin pokes Plankton]
‣ Evil Horror - Harry Lubin ["A hundred urchins?!"]
‣ Mad Street - James McConnel [urchins chasing Plankton]
‣ Horror Strike [#45] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Poor Plankton."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 22 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward turn up the thermostat]
• Magic Snow - Nicolas Carr ["It's beautiful!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield [urchins, Plankton frozen]
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob captures the urchins in a trash can]
• Jolly Little Roger - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [ending]
- This episode was released on iTunes on January 1, 2013.
- This episode is available on the It Came from Goo Lagoon, Bizarro Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob SquarePants Has Hit Rock Bottom, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 15, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, Complete Ninth Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This episode was paired up with "Patrick-Man!" during the original American airing, but has since been re-airing with "Squid Defense."
- This episode is called "Eek, an Urchin!" but some television guides mistakenly display the title as "Eek! An Urchin."
- The title card for this episode looks similar to the title card for "Demolition Doofus."
- SpongeBob is shown being careless with condiments at the start of the episode. It is the same as the episode "The Original Fry Cook," when Jim told SpongeBob he used too much mustard. Other episodes, like "Employee of the Month" and "Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy," show SpongeBob being extremely careful with how he assembles a Krabby Patty.
- SpongeBob said, "You should never put that much ketchup on a Krabby Patty." Yet, he had squirted just as much when he "made a mess."
- Mr. Krabs did not want the one eyed robot to smash his cash register, yet when Mr. Krabs sees the urchin eating his money, he, himself, smashes the cash register.
- In comparison, the sea urchin in this episode is about the same size as Plankton.
- There are obviously many types of urchins as seen in "Nature Pants," "Prehibernation Week," and "Squidward's School For Grown-Ups."
- In this episode, the sea urchin is a reference to household cockroaches in the human world; since most of the characters are afraid of the sea urchin, the sea urchin crawls fast like cockroaches, and the sea urchin lives in a dark place with its own kind like cockroaches.
- This is the second time Mr. Krabs' money was eaten, in this episode's case, by the urchin. The first was by Mystery back in the episode "My Pretty Seahorse."
- This is the third time the Krusty Krab thermostat is used. The first was in "Krabs à la Mode," and the second was in "Planet of the Jellyfish."
- This is the third time Plankton actually teams up with Mr. Krabs in order to solve a problem. The first was in "Best Frenemies" and the second was in "The Other Patty."
- This is the only episode with a robot that has the eye of Plankton; however, two video games have this same thing. The biggest role they played were in SpongeBob's Truth or Square. They also have a much smaller role as a Submarine robot in Nicktoons Unite!
- On a July 9, 2016 airing, the 16:9 HDTV/widescreen version of the theme song was shown with this episode and "Squid Defense" for the first time, being the first episode to use the HD intro.
- The first new episode to feature the new HD intro was "Lame and Fortune."
- Once Incidental 107 squirted ketchup on the sea urchin, when they showed the next scene of him, the ketchup had vanished.
- When the urchin is chased it jumps on the soda dispenser, but when the fish pushes the trigger to dispense the soda the urchin falls out even though it was on the dispenser not in it.
- When SpongeBob, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs all jumped into the toilets to cool off their feet (after being burned by the grill), SpongeBob's right arm is missing.
- When Plankton first entered the Krusty Krab and saw SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward together, they were all in front of the register and closer to the front door. When Plankton jumps onto SpongeBob's face after seeing the urchin, they were all suddenly beside the register and closer to the kitchen.
- When Plankton's robot first entered the Krusty Krab through the front door, the Chum Bucket couldn't be seen.
- After Mr. Krabs destroyed Plankton's robot with the mallet, he threw it away. When he saw the urchin in his register eating his money, he suddenly had the mallet again.
- When Mr. Krabs was boarding up the door to the kitchen, the thermostat wasn't seen. When Squidward appeared again, the thermostat was there.
- Also, after Squidward turned down the thermostat way down and Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob went into the kitchen, the door wasn't boarded anymore.
- When Mr. Krabs is turning the thermostat back up, a table (which Plankton was sitting on) is suddenly there.
- When Mr. Krabs was turning up the thermostat, Plankton, still with the female urchin suit, didn't have lipstick on.
- When SpongeBob sprays his eyes with the spray, he throws it and the napkin he's holding, but, when SpongeBob sees the spray rolling towards the grill, the napkin is back in his hands.