The SpongeBob SquarePants Wiki is sad to announce the passing of Ernest Borgnine, the Oscar-winning actor who voiced the role of Mermaid Man. He died on Sunday, July 8th, 2012, in Los Angeles. The New York Times says, "Ernest Borgnine was a rough-hewn actor who seemed destined for tough-guy characters but won an Academy Award for embodying the gentlest of souls, a lonely Bronx butcher, in the 1955 film "Marty", died on Sunday in Los Angeles. He was 95. His death, at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, was announced by Harry Flynn, his longtime spokesman." (Read More at nytimes.com)
You can post a message below in our Tributes section.
|Rest in peace, Mr. Borgnine. You will be greatly missed.||AMK152||01:33, July 9, 2012 (UTC)|
|You may be gone Mr. Borgnine but you will never be forgotten. Your role of Mermaid Man will forever be in everyone's heart and will always be a joy to watch (in past episodes) no matter how many years go by.||Sonni Hedgehog||03:40, July 9, 2012 (UTC)|
|So long, MermaidMan! I'll miss you Ernest Borgnine!||Ggianoli||04:29, July 9, 2012 (UTC)|
|R.I.P Ernest Borgnine. Up, up and away!||18.104.22.168||09:31, July 9, 2012 (UTC)|
|Goodbye Mr. Borgnine. Even when you gone the Mermaid Man spirit still lives.||22.214.171.124||12:22, July 9, 2012 (UTC)|
|RIP Mr. Borgnine. We will truly miss Mermaid Man||126.96.36.199||12:36, July 9, 2012 (UTC)|
|Don't worry Mr. Borgnine, The cave is in good hands. R.I.P.||188.8.131.52||16:41, July 9, 2012 (UTC)|
|RIP FOREVER MR. BORGINE!!!! I'll always remember your very classic...."EVIL!!!!" line!!||GrouchMan (My trash can)||19:27, July 9, 2012 (UTC)|
|R.I.P. Mermaid Man, he is now Wumbo-ing Super villains in heaven.||MLWProductions (talk)||19:53, July 9, 2012 (UTC)|
|No matter who they might replace your voice with, Mr. Borgnine, you will always be the true Mermaidman. May your "EVIL!!!" fall before you in heaven. R.I.P.||184.108.40.206||00:44, July 10, 2012 (UTC)|
|:( rip||Usa man 1978||01:07, July 10, 2012 (UTC)|
|Goodbye Mr Borgnine!!!! Just so u know we will always love u!!! <3||220.127.116.11||11:27, July 10, 2012 (UTC)|
|He should've set it to wumbo :(||18.104.22.168||21:10, July 10, 2012 (UTC)|
|Spongebob will never be the same without our old, clueless superhero. Hope you have a great time fighting EVIL in heaven. -||Nailgunn||21:48, July 10, 2012 (UTC)|
|R.I.P Mermaid Man/Ernest Borgnine. Forever a superhero and a major part of my childhood...||22.214.171.124||21:56, July 10, 2012 (UTC)|
|may you rest in peace||Robotman32||00:19, July 11, 2012 (UTC)|
|Goodbye, and rest in peace.||126.96.36.199||00:28, July 11, 2012 (UTC)|
|You where always one of my favourite carachters when I started watching SpongeBob, you'll be greatly missed by everyone who is a fan of SpongeBob.||SpongeTron 5000 (talk)||00:58, July 11, 2012 (UTC)|
|I can not belive that Mr. Borgnine died! It's so hard to say ....... goodbye! How can mermaid man die? He's old but not that old!!!! R.I.P. Mermaidmaid man! We used to watch that show and now ...... this is what we get?!?!?! Sorry guys Gumball is too mad.||Gumball + Darwin||02:25, July 11, 2012 (UTC)|
the greatest catchphrase is gone FOREVER, who will replace this hero?
|Rio Grande at your service (talk)||06:13, July 11, 2012 (UTC)|
|RIP a hero|
|R.I.P, you did an awesome job for the voice of mermaid man, may you rest well in heaven.||NONONONO||
06:47, July 21, 2012
R.I.P Ernest. You will be missed.
16:07 July 21, 2012
|Ernest Borgnine dying is EEEVIIIILLL!!!!!!||Bensbfan||17:34 July 23, 2012|
|If it is true, Nickelodeon should make one last episode with them, where Mermaid Man dies and Barnacle Boy goes back to retiring. After this, Spongebob and Patrick becomes really upset about Mermaid Man's death and must keep Barnacle Boy out of retirement so they can show him that there are other stuff out there, like going to the beach, going for a walk at the park, etc. I think they should make one more Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode, called "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy: The Final Chapter". That would be great for the dedication for Ernest. We will all miss you Ernest Borgnine.||Airmario3||11:58 July 25, 2012|
- R.I.P Ernest Borgine! I will never forget the time when you made mermaid man say funny stuff like "Doughnuts!! up up and away, EVILL!!! Or Did you set it to wumbo?" You are with your other passed relatives and you are with Jesus Christ and God. May the love by your family, friends and fans be taken with you to heaven. You were a really healty man cuz you lived up to 95, most men in the USA live up to 79 or 80. You voiced the real hero not the sidekick barnicle boy eventhough everyone likes him too. Spongebob may not be the same without you! May you rest in peace in heaven.;( We will all miss you - buttkicker51 or Nicholas Pramer the biggest spongebob expert and fan ever!!
- RIP Ernest Borgnine, but he will long live in our hearts. Rest in peace! --VoronGlass (talk) 12:49, July 11, 2012 (UTC)
- We shall forever remember you when evil is afoot. Rest in peace. 14:25, July 11, 2012 (UTC)
- Squidward is happy and Spongebob is sad! R.I.P. Ernest Borgnine
- We'll miss you, Mermaid Man...Chrome here! 21:34, July 11, 2012 (UTC)
- R.I.P. Ernest Borgine Seacactus (talk) 01:30, July 12, 2012 (UTC)
- R.I.P Mermaid Man (1999-2012) Invader Rob (talk) 23:47, July 12, 2012 (UTC)
- R.I.P Mermaid Man. One of the best SpongeBob characters ever and a great super hero
- Rest in peace Mermaidman! The show will never be the same without you...:(:(:( -Calm Penguin, July 12, 2012
- Rip Ernest Borgnine. Rest in peace. We'll miss you but you will not be forgotten.
- RIP, Ernest Borgnine, you ol' coop. Up, up, and away to heaven.- Esa6426
- Goodnight, sweet prince. SpongeBob fans worldwide will miss you. Hopefully you will continue to strike fear into the hearts of EEEVILLL!!!! across Bikini Bottom. Even though you have left us, you will unite with Barnacle Boy forever in our hearts. -- 188.8.131.52 14:50, July 15, 2012 (UTC)
- R.I.P. Ernest Borgnine. You'll forever be known and remembered for portraying SpongeBob's favorite superhero. SpongeBob EditPants (talk) 15:25, July 15, 2012 (UTC)
- Don't worry about your character,they will just add new human characters,RIP-cheese90
- R.I.P Ernest Borgnine. I will always remember you voicing Mermaid Man, one of my favorite characters in the show. I will especially miss him saying "Evil!!". You are now in Heaven & we SpongeBob fans will remember you forever. God bless your family and friends (Tim Conway) who will also deeply miss you. Thanks for all of the laughs and love, Ernest! Spongebob321 (talk) 21:04, July 18, 2012 (UTC)
- R.I.P. Ernest. You voiced one of my favorite characters and made him feel very much alive. Some of my favorite scenes were from Mermaid Man, such as "EVIL!". The show will not be the same without. Bless your family. -Ryan
- R.I.P. I'll set it to wumbo for you
- A part of my childhood literally died when I heard about his death. I'm trying my best not to cry right now. I hope if they bring back Mermaid Man, EVERY episode featuring him is dedicated to his memory. R.I.P Ernest. I'll buy a belt buckle with an "M" on it and set it to "Wumbo" EVERYDAY Big-Macintosh (talk) 19:56, July 16, 2012 (UTC)
- Have a good time in heaven, you wumbo-liciuos ex-superhero! User:Candhfan621 If you think your awesome, well ya ain't seen nothin' yet.(talk) 21:49, July 16, 2012 (UTC)
- Goodbye, Mr. Borgnine. Everyone will miss you very wumbo-ly!
- I will never watch an episode of Spongebob without remembering Mermaid Man, one of the best and well-known characters in Spongebob. Spongebob will NEVER be the same.
- Ernest Borgnine was a classic comedian and was a wonderful voice actor. He made many laugh as Mermaid Man. Rest in peace, Ernest. You will be missed. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy won't be the same without you.
- Who is going to be the new voice of Mermaid Man?
- Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy stuff was so great with those epic and hilarious action cards "SIT!" for example. Why must it be gone? Anyway, I'll miss MM&BB and importantly, the voice actor. Conker's Bad Fur Day (Talk|Contribs|Edits) 01:00, July 20, 2012 (UTC)
- When I heard about his death I was shocked. He was so awesome as Mermaid Man. MM&BB episodes won't be the same. Qubit2222 (talk) 22:22, July 20, 2012 (UTC)
- I will always miss you EVIL line it made me laugh!
- R.I.P mermaid man i will miss you.
- You were always a great actor. No actor can be better at the voice of Mermaid Man than you. Toronto time, 10: 23 A.M. Islam4856
- R I P ernest. Now wwho will do mermaidman?
- i wonder how spongebob feels...
- R.I.P. mermaidman he is protecting the afterlife from EEEEVVVIILLLLLL
- R.I.P., Ernest. I'm really going to miss your acting on Spongebob. I especially love the lines "Evil~!" and the times you messed up saying "Krabby Patty" when they were filming a MM&BB movie to show at the Krusty Krab. You will be missed, and MM&BB episodes just won't be the same without you. I'll always remember the time you spent on Spongebob. -순복, 4:04 AM, USA
- Who cares? now we don't have to hear his annoying voice ever again!
- God bless you, Ernest Borgnine. Rest in peace. Unfortunatley, I knew this day would come. But of course, the spirit of Mermaid man will always survive.
- To a man who gave his voice to The Simpsons, and My favorite show, SpongeBob SquarePants (series), your "EEEEEVVVIIILLLL!!!!!" quote will stay in my head. You may R.I.P (R.est I.n P.eace)! When you'ere alive, everybody loved you. But since you'r dead, we still love you! -Billy190 of Minecraft.net
- Good-bye Mermaid man! "Stay out of the forces of EEEEEVILLLL!!"