- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sea urchins
- Gary the Snail (mentioned)
- 11 bomb victims (mentioned)
- Operator (mumbles only)
The episode begins with Squidward having a dream one night that he is dressed in island clothes and playing the piano on an island. He hits one of the notes, but it makes a bell sound, which is coming from SpongeBob hitting a bell. The episode changes to the next morning at the Krusty Krab, where it is Employee Brotherhood Day, a day on which all employees must exchange gifts that they made themselves. For his gift to Squidward, SpongeBob presents him with a sweater made out of his own eyelashes. When Squidward scoffs at this heartfelt gift, SpongeBob begins to cry copiously, eventually handing Squidward a sweater made from his own tears.
Squidward, wishing he could simply buy a gift instead of spending time on making one, finds a group of pirates outside with a sack of pies. The pirates claim that these were bombs and Squidward laments on being unable to purchase one, causing the pirates to withdraw their claim and he is given an indeterminate flavor for $25. Squidward presents his supposedly homemade pie to Mr. Krabs, who decides to give it a taste test. He breaks a tiny bit off the crust and goes to get some milk. Tripping on his way, the fallen crumb of pie explodes on contact and wrecks the back of the Krusty Krab, blasting Squidward and Mr. Krabs away. While Mr. Krabs believes it to be a deliberate attempt on his life, Squidward confesses that he bought the pie, ignorant of its contents. Back in Mr. Krabs' office, SpongeBob discovers the "pie" that Squidward bought for him, while not noticing the large hole made by the explosion.
After Squidward explains how he got the bomb to Mr. Krabs, they realize that the bomb is still in the Krusty Krab. When they rush back to the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob has apparently eaten the entire pie. Mr. Krabs is disgusted at Squidward for his act, and asks how he will live with himself for "killing" SpongeBob after all of the nice things the sponge did for him. Squidward then imagines SpongeBob serving food to a customer, only to then suddenly explode into many small cubes from eating the explosive pie. Horrified, Squidward suggests they get him to the hospital to remove it, but Mr. Krabs states that it will not do any good. Having seen this situation play out eleven times prior, he tells Squidward that the pie will explode upon reaching SpongeBob's lower intestine. Squidward still tries to call the hospital, but the doctor reveals to have seen this situation eleven times before as well, and cannot save him. A guilt-ridden Squidward laments on SpongeBob's fate, and asks how he will tell him. Mr. Krabs insists that Squidward does not tell him, as it will only make him feel worse. He explains to Squidward that SpongeBob has only until sunset to live, and says that he should enjoy his final hours. Truly remorseful, Squidward decides to come up with a plan to make SpongeBob's remaining hours the most fun he has ever had, and so he asks him what he would most like to do. SpongeBob presents an extensive list of exactly that. A montage of Squidward and SpongeBob playing together is shown and the listed activities include greeting everyone in town, greeting everyone in town again with Squidward in a salmon suit, telling knock-knock jokes, and performing open heart surgery.
The final activity SpongeBob has planned is watching the sunset with Squidward. Remembering Mr. Krabs' warning about SpongeBob's death, Squidward nervously agrees to participate. As they sit facing the setting sun, SpongeBob casually notes the brick wall Squidward has built between them. SpongeBob then mentions that if he were to die, "in some sort of fiery explosion due to the carelessness of a friend," this sunset would be exactly what he would want to see. Squidward begins to tear up at this while SpongeBob lets out a small burp, saying something of indeterminate flavor just hit his lower intestine. With the sun nearly past the horizon, SpongeBob begins a five-second countdown, letting Squidward finish the count. At the end of the first count, with the sun still visible, SpongeBob chuckles that they may have started too early. Squidward, increasingly nervous, begins counting down once more. When he hits "three," the sun finally sets and an explosion rocks the wall. Squidward breaks down into tears, thankful he was at least able to make SpongeBob's last few hours meaningful.
Another explosion occurs, which knocks the wall down, crushing Squidward. He pulls himself out from underneath and, to his bewilderment, finds SpongeBob alive and well and blowing bubble bombs. Squidward angrily berates SpongeBob that he was supposed to explode after eating the pie.
At first, SpongeBob is confused, but then he remembers the pie that he was saving in his back pocket for them to share, while Squidward realizes he did everything for nothing. SpongeBob then walks over to share the pie with Squidward, only to trip on a rock. The Pie bomb splats into Squidward, and the entire Bikini Bottom is destroyed in a nuclear explosion. Squidward miraculously survives, uttering "Ouch" in pain as the episode ends.
- Kids throwing rocks at Squidward.
- SpongeBob laughing as he checks things off the list.
- Squidward being worried that SpongeBob will explode.
- Characters tripping over before an explosion.
- Footage of the Operation Crossroads' Baker atomic test is used to represent the explosion near the end of the episode. The test was conducted at Bikini Atoll. The series is set in the fictional city of Bikini Bottom, located beneath Bikini Atoll.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Senor Beguine - Edwina Travis-Chin [Squidward playing piano]
• Squid's Piano - Nicolas Carr [Squidward hits a piano note repeatedly]
‣ Serenading the Night - Jan Rap [Squidward driving to work]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [employee brotherhood day]
• Intro Drum Roll - Nicolas Carr [drum roll]
• Harp! - Nicolas Carr ["Eyelashes!"]
‣ Lonely Violin - Dick Stephen Walter [sweater of tears]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Squidward sighs]
‣ When Daylight Shines/Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [pirate ship]
• Idea Vibe - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a second."]
‣ Shock (u) - Dave Hewson [Krabs trips]
‣ Shock (g) - Dave Hewson [Krusty Krab explodes]
• Seaweed 2 - Steve Belfer ["Mr. Krabs, are you okay?"]
‣ Action Cut A - Gregor F. Narholz [Squidward finishes explaining]
‣ Unease - Dick Stephen Walter ["You had to kill him."/"No, no! What we got... we got to call the hospital!"]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward calls the hospital]
‣ Melancholy Tears - Mike Sunderland ["Why ruin his last day on earth?"]
‣ Orchestral Link 50 - Mike Sunderland [Squidward cries]
• Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob's friendship list]
• Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob showing Squidward to everyone/SpongeBob showing Squidward wearing a salmon suit to everyone/SpongeBob and Squidward doing rest of the list]
‣ Fates [#61.03] - Gregor F. Narholz [Squidward remembers what Krabs said]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [watching the sunset/"Here it is, the sunset!"]
‣ Dramatic Climax - Mike Sunderland [counting down/Counting down again]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [Squidward cries]
‣ Chief Taravana - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob is still alive/ending]
- This episode is available on the Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies, Complete 2nd Season, Sponge Buddies, Imitation Krabs, Sponge Crazy, First 100 Episodes, Really Big Box Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 2, Complete Second Season, From the Beginning, Part 1, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The First & Second Seasons, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode is available on the Sponge Buddies and Undersea Antics Volume 1 VHS tapes.
- This episode is also available on the It's a SpongeBob Christmas! Blu-ray.
- This episode is also available on VideoNow.
- "Dying for Pie" was ranked #52 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- In the "Top 100 Greatest Moments in Nicktoons History," one scene of the episode was the 2nd greatest moment.
- "Dying for Pie" was ranked #55 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- This episode was originally called "Biscuits."
- The title card resembles the pattern of a picnic tablecloth.
- Squidward drives a boatmobile in this episode, but he frequently appears using his bicycle or walking to work.
- There is a bumper sticker on Squidward's boat mobile that reads "Don't ask me about my day."
- When SpongeBob slides his body across the Krusty Krab glass window, he leaves a trail of clearness with part of the glass turning lighter. It is implied here that SpongeBob's body is cleaning the glass, as he is a sponge.
- Mr. Krabs mentions he had seen bomb dealing "11 times" before. The bomb was purchased from pirates, and it is implied that Mr. Krabs witnessed 11 comrades in the navy die from pirate attacks during his time in the war.
- The scene where Squidward tries to wear the sweater that SpongeBob made later became a Rockin' Nicktoon Moment.
- When SpongeBob performs open-heart surgery on Squidward, it marks the first time that blood appears in the show.
- SpongeBob breaks the fourth wall when he talks to Mr. Krabs through Squidward's thought bubble and says, "Hey, it's Mr. Krabs! Hi, Mr. Krabs!"
- The part where SpongeBob screams, "Gary! You are gonna finish your dessert and you are gonna like it!" has become a popular meme on the internet.
- The live-action footage is from an old film showing the famous Baker explosion from Operation Crossroads, which was the first post-WW2 nuclear weapons test, and one of many that took place in Bikini Atoll.
- This is the first episode for a few things:
- The first episode where there is an oversized explosion.
- The first episode to play "Steel Licks 3."
- The first episode to use the track "Earl's Revenge."
- This is the only season 2 episode to use "SpongeBob Theme" as well as the only time "Chief Taravana" plays in full.
- This is also the last episode to use "SpongeBob Theme" as title card music until "Jolly Lodgers," which premiered almost 19 years after this episode.
- SpongeBob's friendship list:
- Show Squidward
- In a salmon suit
- Knock-knock jokes
- Open-heart surgery
- Knock-knock jokes (again)
- Lookin like
- Thumb puppets
- Reverse Friends
- Act like apes
- Trade Faces
- Open-heart surgery (again)
- Read a story
- Babble like an idiot
- Watch the sunset with Squidward
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Bombowe ciasto," which translates to "The Bomb Pie."
- SpongeBob also said that he and Squidward will finish the book by October, not January.
- In the German dub, this episode is called "Die Kuchen-Bombe," which translates to "The Pie Bomb." "Employee Brotherhood Day" translates to "Alle-Angestellten-Sind Freunde Tag" or "All Employees are Friends Day." The characters' voice actors translate the writing themselves: "Do Not Ask Me About My Day" becomes "Frag Mich Nicht Wie's Mir Geht," translating to "Do Not Ask Me How I Am."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode's name is "Ubojita Pita," which translates to "Deadly Pie." In the Russian dub, the translation is the same.
- Foreshadowing: In Squidward's dreams of SpongeBob exploding from the pie, Spongebob explodes into fragments; when an explosion occurs behind the brick wall after the sun sets, there are no cubes, implying that Spongebob was still alive and well.
- On the November 10, 2006 airing, this episode was paired up with "SpongeBob Meets the Strangler."
- SpongeBob said he didn't eat the pie,yet earlier he was eating something that let Squidward and Krabs to believe that he did eat the pie.
- In the beginning scene where Squidward plays the piano, the note he plays that makes the ringing sound is actually a D, while it is animated to be an F.
- When Squidward drives up to the Krusty Krab, the crossroad to the Chum Bucket is missing.
- After Squidward scolds Mr. Krabs for making Employee Brotherhood Day, when he says, "...that guy!," Mr. Krabs is seen clearly with no legs.
- Also, in that same scene, Squidward only has two legs.
- When Squidward and Mr. Krabs walk to the door, the latter's eyelashes disappear.
- When SpongeBob says, "eyelashes," a light part on his head is shown, which is where his eyebrows are supposed to be, not his eyelashes.
- When Mr. Krabs takes a small piece of the pie and says that it would be more delicious with some milk, when the piece explodes after he trips down, the place where the small pie explodes moves behind Mr. Krabs' counter.
- When Squidward and Mr. Krabs turn from watching SpongeBob in the office, some of the background overlaps Mr. Krabs.
- After Squidward and Mr. Krabs are blown out of the Krusty Krab and they see the pie is gone, the wall is blown inwards instead of outwards.
- The open-heart surgery appears to come after the trade faces activity, but it is also written after the knock-knock jokes.
- When SpongeBob checks some of the things off the list, the list glitches and overlaps itself, seeming to fold.
- When Squidward and Mr. Krabs are in the latter's office, the clock has 15 hour lines, but when Squidward remembers Mr. Krabs later in the episode, the clock has 12 lines.
- On SpongeBob's list, one of the things is "Introduce friend in a salmon suit." However, after SpongeBob checks off juggling, he checks off to introduce friend in a salmon suit a second time, when this was already done.
- On the YTV airings of this episode, the title card is not shown.
- When SpongeBob is doing open-heart surgery on Squidward, he squirts red blood despite the fact that Squidward is a cephalopod (which in real life have blue blood).
- When SpongeBob reveals he didn't eat the bomb pie, the rock by his foot cannot be seen. After the close-up of Squidward, the rock appears.
- ^ Date confirmed by SpongeBob Exposed!, The First 100 Episodes, and the iTunes listing.
- ^ http://youtv.vn/lich-chieu/28-10-2016.imc
- ^ https://twitter.com/adampaloian/status/1053054553803739137
- ^ https://youtu.be/Z4tN1eSQDco
- ^ List of episodes (foreign)/languages/Polish
- ^ List of episodes (foreign)/languages/German
- ^ https://nickstory.fandom.com/wiki/November_10,_2006