- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Sir SpongeBob
- Patrick Star
- Sir Patrick (debut)
- Medieval Moments trumpeters (debut)
- Medieval Moments guards (debut)
- Medieval Moments announcer (debut)
- Medieval Moments audience
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 10
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 151
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 93
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 81
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 85
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 155
- Incidental 90
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 84
- King Morrie (debut)
- Morrie's Queen (debut)
- Knights (debut)
- Dungeon master (debut)
- Squidly Tentacles (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles (mentioned)
- Dragon jellyfish (debut)
- Citizens of Bikini Bottomshire
- King Krabs (debut)
- Mr. Krabs (mentioned)
- Princess Pearl (debut)
- Leech (debut)
- Executioners (debut)
- Planktonamor (debut)
- Blacksmith (debut)
- Karen the Crystal Ball (debut)
- Dark Knight (debut)
- Planktonamor's guards (debut)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
In the beginning of the episode, SpongeBob and Patrick are running up to the Medieval Moments stadium/restaurant to watch the jousting tournament. Upon their arrival, Morrie announces the tournament of The Horse Fight and asks for two volunteers to take part in the jousting, choosing SpongeBob and Patrick. Unaware that they are actually going to be in the tournament, and not just watching up close, they are forced to mount seahorses and start jousting against each other. They are both launched off of their seahorses into the air and land in a small field in 12th Century Bikini Bottom.
A large group of knights on seahorses surround the duo. They lock SpongeBob and Patrick in the dungeons, because they think they are evil. There they see an octopus playing a clarinet and failing. He expresses displeasure at this and promptly curses his descendant should he continue to fail. They think it is Squidward, but the octopus' name is actually Squidly. In the meantime, SpongeBob and Patrick still think this is part of the Medieval Moments tournament, until Squidly tells them about a Dragon Jellyfish zapping around the village, making SpongeBob and Patrick realize they went back in time.
Later, SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidly are sent to King Krabs, who orders them to be executed because of an insulting song they sing in front of him. However, Princess Pearl reminds her dad of a prophecy in a stained glass window, which says that two brave knights will fall from the sky and will be sent by the king and defeat the dragon controlled by the evil wizard Planktonamor that is destroying the kingdom. Just then, the Dragon Jellyfish smashes through the wall with the prophecy on it.
Under Planktonamor's orders, it kidnaps Pearl in order to kill her and effortlessly flicks King Krabs into the guillotine, smashing it just before SpongeBob can be executed. The dragon flies away, and King Krabs, who realized they are the chosen ones, begs SpongeBob and Patrick with forgiveness and tells them to rescue his daughter, treating them like royalty, and Squidly comes along as well after orders from King Krabs.
On the way, they stop off at the Blacksmith's shop to get some armor and weapons, only to find that all of the weapons are too heavy except for the jellyfish net. As they reach the bridge to Planktonamor's tower, they are attacked by a Dark Knight, who guards the bridge. The Dark Knight is revealed to be none-other than a medieval Sandy. A duel ensues, with SpongeBob ultimately winning due to his karate prowess. After the battle, SpongeBob decides to spare her life. Amazed, the Dark Knight decides to follow SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidly on their quest and learn a trifle of karate, according to her.
Back at the King's castle, Krabs receives a note saying that Princess Pearl will die if he does not hand over the village and his throne. SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidly, and the Dark Knight make an incredibly long journey to the top of the tower, where SpongeBob distracts Planktonamor while Patrick, Squidly, and the Dark Knight try to rescue Pearl. However, the Dragon soon arrives and manages to zap the heroes. Just as the Dragon is about to finish off SpongeBob, he pulls out a Krabby Patty he had been saving for lunch. The Dragon eats it and likes it so much that it becomes obedient to SpongeBob, zapping Planktonamor. The heroes return to the village to have their victory celebrated, and King Krabs is seen cooking Krabby Patties for the dragon. However, as soon as Squidly starts playing his clarinet, everybody hates it, and someone throws a rock at him. He bumps into the seahorses behind him, scaring them and launch SpongeBob and Patrick into the air.
They land back at the jousting tournament in the present, where SpongeBob thinks and tells Patrick that all of this was just a dream. However, Patrick sits up revealing he had squashed Squidly, who is accidentally sent to the present as well, as the episode ends.
On the Season 4 Volume 1 DVD, The Complete Fourth Season, 2-Season TV Pack and The Third & Fourth Seasons DVDs, the storyboard shows SpongeBob and Patrick making sure they are okay after falling out of the sky. The rough storyboard also included a scene in which human-like "doppelgängers" of SpongeBob and Patrick appear. Patrick's doppelgänger wears a pointed hat and SpongeBob's doppelgänger has a neat, square-trimmed haircut.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Dunces and Dragons - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Title card]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [opening]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick stop running]
• Dunces and Dragons - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Fanfare/"Welcome to Medieval Moments."]
• Barbarian Fanfare - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [in the stadium]
• Dunces and Dragons - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [fanfare]
‣ Tavern Tales - David Snell [jousting tournament announced]
‣ March to Battle - Laurie Johnson [SpongeBob and Patrick on seahorses]
‣ Chariot Race - Helmuth Brandenburg [seahorses charging toward each other/SpongeBob falls on Patrick]
‣ Entry of the Heroes A - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick surrounded by knights]
‣ Mounting the Scaffold 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick locked in the dungeon]
• Squiddy Clarinet - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidly playing clarinet]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Dost thou talketh to me?"]
• Dunces and Dragons - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Scoff not, young squire."]
◦ Squidwerd's Lament - Steven Banks, Zeus Cervas, Andy Paley [Squidly sings]
◦ Dragon is Here - Steven Banks, Andy Paley [Squidly sings again]
‣ Evil Mind 8 - Dick de Benedictis [SpongeBob realizes they went back in time]
‣ The Wicked Witch - John Fox, Otto Sieben ["The king wants a word with you two."]
• Dunces and Dragons - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs crying]
‣ Slave Caravan 2 - Gregor F. Narholz ["It's that wretched wizard, Planktonamor!"]
‣ Dance Macabre - Keith Mansfield [SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidly sent in]
◦ King's To Blame - Steven Banks, Andy Paley [Squidly's song]
• ? [Krabs calls guards]
‣ Floating Fortress A - Gregor F. Narholz [guillotine]
• Revelation - Nicolas Carr [Choir]
• Dunces and Dragons - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Pearl explains the prophecy]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner [dragon kidnaps Pearl]
‣ Wargames Linking Section (G) - Keith Mansfield [SpongeBob at the guillotine]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob and Patrick crying]
‣ Conflict Link 2 - Richard Hill [Krabs crashes into the guillotine]
‣ Anguish - Richard Hill [Pearl screaming for help]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [Choir]
‣ Big Bad Giant - Paddy Kingsland ["You two! My apologies!"]
• Idea Vibe - Nicolas Carr ["Huh? What's this?"]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [lost piece of the prophecy]
‣ The Merry Hunters - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob and Patrick kick themselves out/SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidly leave the castle]
• Dunces and Dragons - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [blacksmith]
‣ Final Resolution [#30.2] - Gregor F. Narholz ["I'll have the rent when I have it!"]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
• Hunting Rescue Call - Nicolas Carr [Patrick's helmet]
‣ Trumpet Call 1 - Sam Fonteyn [SpongeBob in a suit of armor]
‣ Retreat - Sam Fonteyn [Blacksmith gives SpongeBob a sword/Blacksmith gives SpongeBob a jellyfish net]
• Dunces and Dragons - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob packed a lunch of Krabby Patties]
‣ Pure Evil - Larry Hochman ["This be the legendary prophecy?!"]
‣ Entry of the Heroes D - Gregor F. Narholz [dark knight]
◦ Oh Dark Knight - Steven Banks, Zeus Cervas, Erik Wiese, Andy Paley [Squidly sings]
‣ Final Resolution [#29.2] - Gregor F. Narholz ["Dark Knight?!"]
• Dark Knight Battle - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob swallows Medieval Sandy and spits her into a rock/Medieval Sandy destroys SpongeBob's armor/"But can you handle my feet of fury?"]
‣ Entry of the Heroes E - Gregor F. Narholz [Sandy defeated]
• Parting of the Clouds Sting II - Nicolas Carr ["I don't understand a word you just said!"]
‣ Final Resolution [#29.2] - Gregor F. Narholz ["Medieval Sandy? You don't look so good."]
• Unknown Vibe Sting 2 - Nicolas Carr [Sandy wakes up]
‣ Fanfare of Rome - David Farnon ["Thou hast spared me, kind and noble sponge."]
• Karate Gong - Nicolas Carr ["Yeah, karate!"]
‣ Big Bad Giant - Paddy Kingsland [back at the castle]
◦ Hark the Princess - Steven Banks, Zeus Cervas, Erik Wiese, Andy Paley [Squidly sings]
‣ The Wicked Witch - John Fox, Otto Sieben ["Doth we all remember thy plan?"]
‣ Death and Destruction 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Pearl screams]
‣ Dramatic Cue (G) - Ronald Hanmer [running up the stairs]
‣ House Of Horror - Larry Hochman ["Soon the king's village will be mine!"]
• Fatigued Fanfare - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob weakly arrives]
‣ Dramatic Impact (2) - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob gasps]
‣ Thrust and Parry - John Hawkins ["Prepare to be vanquished!"]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ Thrust and Parry - John Hawkins [Planktonimor zaps SpongeBob]
‣ Dangerous C - Mladen Franko ["Sicceth them, boy!"]
◦ Handsome Dragon - Steven Banks, Zeus Cervas, Erik Wiese, Andy Paley [Squidly's limerick]
‣ Invincible Armada [#31.02] - Gregor F. Narholz [dragon zapping everyone]
‣ Knight Errant - Sam Fonteyn [SpongeBob uses jellyfish net to capture the jellyfish dragon]
‣ Death and Destruction 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [the jellyfish dragon zaps the jellyfish net]
• Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Yay!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [the jellyfish dragon eats Krabby Patty]
‣ Romantic Ending [#31] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["No, no, no! The horror, the horror!"]
• Mailbox Tension Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Destroy them!"]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor F. Narholz [the reformed jellyfish dragon zaps Planktonimor]
• Royal Celebration Fanfare - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [fanfare]
◦ Ring the Bell - Steven Banks, Zeus Cervas, Erik Wiese, Andy Paley [Squidly's song]
‣ Sherwood Green (B) - Richard Myhill [Krabs cooking patties]
• Squiddy Leads the Parade - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidly playing clarinet]
‣ Six Powerful Cues (D) - Wilfred William Burns [SpongeBob and Patrick thrown into air]
‣ Tavern Tales - David Snell [SpongeBob wakes up in the present day.]
• Last Gasp Clarinet - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [ending]
- This episode is available on the Lost in Time DVD and VHS, Season 4 Volume 1, Nick Picks Volume 5, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes Volume 2, Double Feature Volume 2, Simply Patrick, First 100 Episodes, 2-Season TV Pack, SpongeBob Schwammkopf Folge 31, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Specials Collection, Vol. 1, Bob Esponja Vol. 1, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 6, Complete Fourth Season, From the Beginning, Part 2, Best of SpongeBob, On the Road, SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants, Tales of a Teenage Whale, Calling All Heroes!, The Third & Fourth Seasons, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs and on VideoNow.
- "Dunces and Dragons" was ranked #3 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- Vincent Waller did not enjoy the episode, and felt that it would have been better as an 11-minute episode.
- This episode had 8.5 million viewers during its premiere, making it until today, the second most-watched episode of SpongeBob SquarePants beating "The Sponge Who Could Fly" with 7 million viewers, the most-watched one being "Atlantis SquarePantis."
- Burger King released a promotional toyline based on this episode in 2006. It consisted of 20 different figures and rolled out a global promotional sweepstakes called "Lost in Time With SpongeBob SquarePants," which offered customers a trip to one of the countries visited by SpongeBob in the episode.
- This is the first episode where "Parting of the Clouds" plays.
- This episode was first seen in a New Year's 2006 commercial.
- Unlike her descendant, medieval Sandy can breathe underwater without an air helmet.
- King Krabs' castle looks like the Krusty Krab in design.
- It is revealed that Mr. Krabs and Pearl are related to royalty.
- It is revealed that Squidward was cursed by his ancestor to be terrible at playing the clarinet.
- SpongeBob's snickering from "Naughty Nautical Neighbors" can be heard during "King is Bad."
- Most of SpongeBob's friends have an ancestor, but neither SpongeBob or Patrick have a medieval relative who appears only in a deleted scene.
- There is an an online game of the same name based on this episode.
- This was the first episode to be aired simulcast in the United States and Latin America in the same date, as it was promoted as a "world premiere."
- This was Robertryan Cory's first episode as the character designer.
- This was the first special to not be written by Paul Tibbitt.
- A clip from this episode was seen in the Attack of the SpongeBob DVDs promo from 2008-2009.
- This is the second and last half-hour special of season 4. The first was "Have You Seen This Snail?."
- This is the second episode to involve time traveling. The first was "SB-129", although they didn't use a time machine as they fly through the air which sends them to the past.
- This episode marks the second time a reference to Dungeons and Dragons is used. The first time was in "Mid-Life Crustacean" with "P & P."
- This is the second 22-minute special to not feature Patchy the Pirate and Potty the Parrot after "Have You Seen This Snail?", However, they do make a cameo in the SpongeBob SquarePants special opening of the latter, others being "Pest of the West" and "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?."
- According to the end credits and the animatic version, there was supposed to be a "SpongeBob Doppelgänger" who would have been voiced by Rodger Bumpass.
- This episode was aired alongside various specials from SpongeBob and The Fairly OddParents, leading up to the Nickelodeon movie 100 Things to Do Before High School.
- Before the episode's premiere, Nickelodeon released a preview clip of the episode on TurboNick.
- Squidly is playing clarinet in the Middle Ages, although the clarinet was invented in the 1800s, which is after the Middle Ages, this was only made in their imaginative Middle Age.
- This is the third episode where everything was a dream, the first two being "Procrastination" and "Doing Time".
- The title of the episode is a parody of the role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons. One of the characters in this episode is the Dungeon Master, which is also a reference to the game.
- The name of the stadium/restaurant, Medieval Moments, is a spoof of the restaurant chain Medieval Times.
- Bikini Bottomshire is a parody of the names of British lands that formed during the Middle Ages, known as Shires.
- Planktonamor's Tower resembles the Eye of Sauron from The Lord of the Rings, besides the fact that the eye is not in between the spikes.
- Squidly's song "King is Bad" is sung to the tune of the Irish march Lilliburlero. He also plays the opening notes of the march proper just before he, SpongeBob, and Patrick are taken to meet King Krabs.
- Patrick's cheeks' outline turns black multiple times throughout the episode.
- Before the Dark Knight rubs SpongeBob against the rock, Squidly and Patrick are behind it. However, they immediately disappear out of nowhere once Sandy reaches the spot.
- One of SpongeBob's eyelashes gets torn off, but later, it comes back.
- In the end credits to this episode, Doug Lawrence, who played Planktonamor, is not credited as a cast member.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick returned to the jousting tournament, as they took Squidly with them, it's impossible that Squidly is left behind in the past when the villagers throws a rock at the seahorse while they kicked SpongeBob and Patrick out in the air.
- ^ https://youtu.be/Jzsct7HH5Gg
- ^ https://www.sbmania.net/forums/threads/season-4.12402/
- ^ http://readallcomics.com/hi-hi-puffy-amiyumi-1/
- ^ https://twitter.com/ShermCohen/status/1370481330505404418
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/871143693293568000
- ^ Burger Kings Renews SpongeBob Premiums Sweeps (February 22, 2016). Retrieved on February 2, 2018.
- ^ https://nickstory.fandom.com/wiki/November_11,_2014
|Dunces and Dragons (V • E)|
Characters: Morrie • Morrie's wife • Seahorses • Knights • Dungeon Master • Squidly Tentacles • Dragon jellyfish • King Krabs • Princess Pearl • Leech • Executioners • Planktonamor • Blacksmith • Karen the Crystal Ball • Dark Knight • Planktonamor's guards
Shorts: Around the World
Miscellaneous: DVD • VHS SpongeBob SquarePants Special Collection, Vol. 1 • Season 4 Volume 1 • The Complete Fourth Season • Nick Picks Volume 5 • The First 100 Episodes • The Best 200 Episodes Ever • The Third & Fourth Seasons • Calling All Heroes! • From the Beginning, Part 2 • Simply Patrick • Tales of a Teenage Whale • SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants • On the Road • Online game • Book • Good Knight SpongeBob • Squidly's Songs • Monday Knight Slimetime