- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Rex (debut)
- Lary the Snail (debut)
- Jerry (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles (mentioned)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
While SpongeBob and Gary are playing tag, Patrick joins in and begins to get better acquainted with Gary. At the end of the day, Gary seems to want to spend time with Patrick a while longer, so SpongeBob agrees to let Gary have a sleepover at Patrick's house. The next morning, Gary is still reluctant to leave Patrick, who concludes that Gary wants to be with him permanently and so claims him as his own pet. SpongeBob refuses to believe this, but when Gary is given the choice of who shall be his owner, Gary heads for Patrick. SpongeBob is heartbroken, and out of jealousy, he attempts to find a new pet to show to Gary that he does not need a two-timing snail.
First, SpongeBob gets Rex, a worm, and shows him off to Patrick and Gary. SpongeBob extols all the traits that make worms superior to snails, such as their loyalty. Rex promptly illustrates this by completely abandoning SpongeBob and hitching a ride on a bus. Next, SpongeBob brings home Lary, a snail with a terrible temperament. SpongeBob bends over backward to accommodate Lary, even giving up his own bed to the picky snail, but Lary's unceasing viciousness leaves SpongeBob forlorn and he probably runs away like Rex did. Even the anatomically correct snail, Jerry, can't fill the hole in SpongeBob's heart.Patrick, accompanied by Gary, stops by SpongeBob's house to do some laundry. In desperation, SpongeBob begs and pleads with Gary, offering him all manner of gifts and privileges if only he'll come back. Patrick patronizingly tells SpongeBob to let it go, that Gary has already made his choice. Gary, meanwhile, crawls into the washing machine after Patrick's shorts. SpongeBob and Patrick watch, Patrick angry that Gary apparently just likes him for his shorts. SpongeBob, however, realizes that all along Gary had only wanted a cookie left in Patrick's pocket.
As SpongeBob and Gary, now satiated and reunited, go outside for a walk, a heartbroken and devastated Patrick stares at the door and saying "Gary, I thought what we had was special!".
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Daytime Drama - Geoff Bastow [title card]
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [opening]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Gary is attracted to Patrick]
• Unknown Track 34 - Nicolas Carr ["Gary?"]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick brushing his teeth]
‣ Moloka'i Nui (a) - Kapono Beamer [the next day]
• Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob confused]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ Cold Fear - Dick Stephen Walter ["I closed the window on my head!"]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer ["Gary, you stop this foolishness right now."]
‣ Daytime Drama - Geoff Bastow [Gary stays with Patrick]
‣ Me for You - George Callert [SpongeBob's pet worm]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Larry the snail]
‣ Paradise Isle - Jan Rap [SpongeBob misses Gary]
‣ Torn Apart - Mike Sunderland ["Hi, SpongeBob."/"Laundry? But… we used to do laundry."]
‣ Daytime Drama - Geoff Bastow [SpongeBob begs Gary to come back]
‣ Daytime Drama [#12] - Geoff Bastow ["I'm sorry, SpongeBob, but Gary's with me now."]
‣ Melancholy Tears - Mike Sunderland ["Face it, SpongeBob, you're only hurting yourself."]
‣ Sunny Samoa - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [Gary just wanted the cookie in Patrick's pocket]
‣ Daytime Drama [#13] - Geoff Bastow [ending]
- This episode is available on the Tide and Seek, Complete 2nd Season, Christmas Who?, First 100 Episodes, The Complete Second Season, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 3, From the Beginning, Pt.1, Snail's Meow, The First & Second Seasons, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode is also available on the Tide and Seek VHS and Sponge-a-Rama VHS tapes.
- "Dumped" was ranked #81 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- Although this episode premiered in 2001, it was made in 2000 according to the credits.
- This episode premiered in Canada on Friday, May 4, 2001.
- When the camera zooms in on SpongeBob thinking, Patrick says, "Blah, blah, blah" in the background. When the camera zooms out, Patrick speaks normally again, but when SpongeBob leaves Patrick's rock, he says "Blah, blah, blah" again.
- SpongeBob, in a throwaway joke, reveals that he has another pet snail, Jerry, a photo-realistic land snail.
- In the beginning, SpongeBob plays tag with Gary. When he runs up his house, an extra window is seen next to the upstairs window. The extra window reappears at the beginning of the scene where SpongeBob introduces Rex.
- The face SpongeBob makes when he says "Who's a good boy?" to Rex can be seen on various SpongeBob-licensed products, including the newer packages of Kraft SpongeBob SquarePants Macaroni and Cheese. It is accompanied by the slogan "Grin and square it!"
- Rex looks similar to Mr. Krabs' pet worm, Mr. Doodles.
- This episode marks the first time SpongeBob addresses Gary as "Gary the Snail."
- This is the first episode to highlight Patrick as the main antagonist.
- Foreshadowing: Gary is often shown on Patrick's stomach in many scenes of the two together, most notably when he first glomps onto him and when Patrick wants Gary to sleep over. This is a clue to the fact that he's only interested in the cookie in Patrick's pocket.
- Gary was only attracted to Patrick because of the cookie in his pocket, but throughout the episode, Gary makes no effort to check his pocket until the end. He could've been waiting for Patrick to take his pants off.
- When Gary meows happily to SpongeBob, it's the exact same recording as the one when Gary meows out of the barrel.
- When SpongeBob carries Gary away from Patrick, when the zooms on Gary, SpongeBob's sleeve is green instead of white.
- Gary's spots are also larger than usual in that scene.
- When SpongeBob's alarm clock goes off, he does not press the button to make it stop; the alarm automatically stops by itself.
- It is unknown why Gary didn't make any attempt to get the cookie in Patrick's pocket so much earlier. He had several easy opportunities to snatch it without any risk of Patrick noticing.
- In the credits, Lary's name is mistakenly spelled as "Larry" with two R's instead of one.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|