- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Elephant snail (debut)
- Ringmaster (debut)
- Ringmaster's assistant (debut)
- Mrs. Puff
- Mr. Puff (indirectly mentioned)
- Incidental C1 (debut)
- Vendor (debut)
- CEO (debut)
- CEO’s assistant (debut)
- CEO’s wife (mentioned)
- Howard Blandy
- Fire fish
- Mr. Crustacean
- Flats the Flounder (cameo)
- Bikini Bottomites
In the beginning of the episode, SpongeBob and Patrick are watching clowns perform acts at the circus. SpongeBob then sees a little clown who seems hungry, so he offers him a piece of popcorn, though the ringmaster prevents this and tells SpongeBob not to feed the clowns. SpongeBob and Patrick then witness the other clowns saving no pieces of candy in a box for the little clown. Out of sympathy, SpongeBob tries to feed the clown a bag of popcorn. The little clown is then found hiding in a popcorn bucket and reveals that he wants a job.
SpongeBob then sees a hot dog stand and suggests that the little clown gets a job as a hot dog vendor. He shows him the ropes, but little clown does not serve them properly. Just then, a muscular fish spots the two interfering with his hot dog stand. SpongeBob realizes that it was his cart and tries to apologize, but then the vendor grabs him and the little clown and turns them into a hot dog shape in a bun, He squeezes SpongeBob and the clown into a bun and then proceeds to throw it and kicks SpongeBob and the little clown out from the Hot Dog stand and told him to stay out in anger.
Later, at SpongeBob's house, SpongeBob tries making the little clown's appearance less clown-like and more presentable for a job. Afterward, the clown gets a job as a businessman. Due to him slamming his stamp ink-covered face onto the papers and stamping his co-workers' faces, he gets fired from the job.
The next job that the little clown gets is a fireman. He drives a firetruck to Mrs. Puff's Boating School, which is on fire. Instead of using a hose to put it out, he uses clown streamers. Afterward, the school burns down and Mrs. Puff furiously screams at the little clown that he is fired.
The final job that the little clown gets is a baker at the Bikini Bottom Bakery. SpongeBob has his sentient eyes enter the bakery to make sure he does not mess his job up this time. As with his previous occupations, he does not follow directions and instead throws pies at the customers. As a result, the little clown is fired. He and SpongeBob are then rolled into a pie by the head baker, Mr. Crustacean.
After this catastrophe, SpongeBob concludes that the little clown is unfortunately not fit for a job. However, he then finds a place suitable for him in Kelp Forest. SpongeBob cuts the kelp with a machete and then reveals the slapstick plains. The little clown, after a long time of suffering through misery, is finally happy thanks to this place, as the episode ends.
- The ringmaster using his assistant as a whip.
- The ringmaster shouting "Don't feed the clowns!"
- The little clown getting fired from various jobs.
- The little clown throwing pies at people's faces.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Calling All Clowns - David Lindup [Title card and opening]
‣ Clowns' Cavalcade - Dick Walter [The circus clowns introduced.]
‣ Clowns - Dick Walter [The clowns perform.]
‣ Animation Antics - Dick Walter ["Are you hungry, little clown?"]
‣ Crazy Run - Tony Tape, Marc Monsen [All of the clowns pile into the car.]
‣ La Muette De Portici - Daniel Auber [An ambulance arrives.]
‣ Clowns - Dick Walter [The audience laughs.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 28 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I told you, SpongeBob, our feet are in danger!"]
‣ Clowns' Cavalcade - Dick Walter [SpongeBob and Patrick get into the backstage.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 22 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Poor little guy."]
‣ Unknown Track 17 - All the clowns get feed except for the little clown.
‣ Editor's Rapid Movement (c) - Dick Walter ["Don't... Feed... The clowns!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick run away from the circus.]
‣ Krazy Kops - Marc Monsen [All of the clowns pack everything into the car.]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to the next scene]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob sees the circus is gone.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 22 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey, where'd the circus go?"]
‣ ? [SpongeBob trips over the little clown.]
• The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [The little clown does not want to go back to the circus; little clown eats the hot dog.]
‣ Charivari Clowns (a) - Daniel Jean Jeannin [Little clown juggles the hot dogs.]
• The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Owner of the hot dogs stand appears.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 26 - Jeremy Wakefield [Transition to next scene.]
‣ Vergnügungspark - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob gives the little clown a makeover.]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to the next scene]
‣ Market Day - Kurt Rehfeld [Little clown hired as a businessman.]
‣ Krazy Kops - Marc Monsen [Little clown stamping papers with face and butt. “Who hired this clown?!”. “Um, you did sir.”]
‣ Market Day - Kurt Rehfeld [CEO gets really mad. “Fired!” Little clown is fired.]
• Tadpole Trouble - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Little clown runs away. Little clown bumps SpongeBob.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 14 - Jeremy Wakefield [Little clown blows up and deflates a balloon.]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea.]
‣ March Of The Plotters (a) - Frank Thomas [Little clown starts working as a firefighter.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 26 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'll just make sure he gets there safely."]
‣ Return Of The Keystone Cops - David Lindup [Mrs. Puff's boating school on fire.]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Mrs. Puff gets angry. “You’re fired!”.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["This is it, little clown.]
• The Donut Dilema - Nicolas Carr [Little clown enters at the bakery.]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["Aha!"]
• Silly Bob Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob's eyes enter the bakery.]
‣ Keystone Chaos - Ron Aspery [Flashback to little clown throwing pies.]
‣ Circus Parade (b) - Dick Walter [After pies get launched into the little clown.]
• Silly Bob Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Little clown prepares to throw a pie to Mr. Crustacean.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (G) - Ronald Hanmer ["No, little clown, no!"]
‣ I Say, I Say, I Say - David Lindup [Little clown throwing pies everywhere.]
• Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Mr. Crustacean gets angry. “You… Are…”. “Fired?”]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and little clown turned into pie.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, little clown, I'm so sorry."]
‣ Travelling Circus - Eric Jupp [Ending.]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 18, The Complete Eleventh Season, and Chatterbox Gary DVDs.
- This episode's title card uses the same music track, "Calling All Clowns," as the title card for Rocko's Modern Life episode, "Closet Clown."
- When Mrs. Puff deflates after yelling "You're fired!" to the little clown, she looks like her deflated form in "Demolition Doofus."
- The title is a pun on "don't feed the animals."
- The boss’s assistant is a parody of the Manager’s assistant from the game called: “Don’t get fired!”.
- The little clown getting fired from various jobs has similarities to the Cyanide and Happiness episode: “Harry the Handsome Butcher” Harry the Handsome Butcher getting fired from various jobs.
- In the end credits, Ringmaster is incorrectly listed as "Ring Master."
- In one scene, SpongeBob's eyelashes are missing.