- Barnacle Boy
- Mermaid Man
- Man Ray
- Realistic Fish Head
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles (mentioned)
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 115
- Incidental 37B
- Mrs. Puff
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 67
- Old Man Jenkins
- Incidental 11
- Incidental 150
- Incidental 152
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 114
- Incidental 151
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 103
- Octopus children
- One of the octopus quintuplets
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 153
- Incidental 158
- Sandy Cheeks
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 108 (name revealed)
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 45
- Other beachgoers
- Officer Slugfish
- Incidental 118
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 8
- King Neptune (mentioned)
After watching an episode of The Adventures of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, SpongeBob and Patrick see a commercial for the new book saying that Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy will be signing the book starting at 8 o'clock. SpongeBob is unhappy due to the fact that he has to go to boating school. Patrick suggests calling in sick, but SpongeBob does not want his perfect attendance record to end. They then decide that SpongeBob will wait until he has to go to the bathroom, and then sneak to the comic book store when Mrs. Puff gives him the bathroom key.
The next day in boating school, SpongeBob has to go to the bathroom. Mrs. Puff gives him the bathroom key and tells him to return it to her desk, with that SpongeBob exits the school. He and Patrick get to the store and get their books signed and walk through Jellyfish Fields. The jellyfish start to lift up Patrick and let him sit on them with Patrick stating they are "friendly." They then throw themselves into SpongeBob's net then leave. SpongeBob and Patrick continue ending up buying ice cream. Sadie congratulates SpongeBob on being her 100th customer and tells him he can come back for free ice cream anytime.
The two pursuit into Goo Lagoon where they get into a Badminton match with Sandy and a friend named Dale. SpongeBob and Patrick end Sandy's unbeatable streak and are convinced by their fans to play another round. The cops come and arrest Dale, who is an ex-con on probation, for eating gummy fish. A fish tells SpongeBob that Dale was a nice guy until he started cutting class and ever since then, he became a criminal. With this, SpongeBob fears that he will meet the same fate as Dale, so he continues off to school.
SpongeBob has to race through the Bikini Bottom hug fest where a woman grabs him. He forces her to let go and continues. He ends up in a pit of tar and starts to drown, remembering the last words that Mrs. Puff said to him. SpongeBob then fights his way out with a crowd cheering him on. He makes it back to the school with Mrs. Puff at the door and she becomes mad. He explains what he did, with her not knowing what he is talking about. Cops appear behind her because she is being arrested for ditching jury duty. The car pulls off with her telling SpongeBob to never ditch. SpongeBob adheres and says he'll never ditch again, leaving her angry and confused with him wondering what "again" meant.
This section is in need of cleanup in order to comply with Encyclopedia SpongeBobia's manual of style. Please help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by making this section specific and short.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Arizona Fanfare - Jack Shaindlin [opening]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence [Man Ray trapped inside bubble]
‣ Life on the Wild Side - Sam Spence [book signing announced]
• Silly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob says he can't come]
• Idea Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
• Silly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["I won't go to the bathroom till tomorrow."]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [boating school the next day]
• Short Rising Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob holding his pee]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap ["Something the matter, SpongeBob?"]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr ["The bathroom key!"]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap ["And make sure you return that bathroom key to my desk, or you're in big trouble, mister!"]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob takes the bathroom key]
‣ Curtain-Raiser - Alan Braden [at the comic book store]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob and Patrick's books signed]
• Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Jellyfishing/Ice cream]
• I'm Ready Fanfare - Nicolas Carr ["You're my 100th customer!"]
• Kalua Jubalee - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Goo Lagoon]
‣ Hawaiian Holiday - Kapono Beamer [Sandy wants SpongeBob to stay]
• Self Surf - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [badminton with Dale]
‣ Blood in the Gutter - Laurie Johnson [Dale arrested]
‣ Woe is Me! - Richard Myhill ["It's a shame what happened to Dale."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer ["Ever since then, he's lived the lonely life of a criminal."]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["I gotta get back to class!"]
‣ Hawaiian Flower - Jon Jelmer [Bikini Bottom Hug Fest]
‣ Drama Link (h) - Hubert Clifford ["That sounded like a threat."]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob falls off a cliff]
‣ Expectant Stab [#28] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["The tar pits?"]
‣ Invasion Force [#52] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob sinking]
‣ Drama Link (o) - Hubert Clifford ["Goodbye, world. Goodbye, Mrs. Puff."]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [SpongeBob remembers what Mrs. Puff said]
‣ Shock Entrance [#24] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob sinks]
‣ No Fear - Udi Harpaz [SpongeBob emerges with the bathroom key]
• Steel Licks 2 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob runs to boating school]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob runs into Mrs. Puff]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm really sorry, please forgive me."]
• Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- The episode is available on the Viking-Sized Adventures, Season 6 Volume 2, Complete Sixth Season, Triple Pack 2, Big Hits: Volume 1, Time Travel, Kids Double Pack: Volume 5, SpongeBob's Legendary Adventures, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 9, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The Best 200 Episodes Ever and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- The title card is similar to that of "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired," except the lines are blue and the text is 3D and purple.
- SpongeBob cannot go to see Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy because class starts before 8:00, but in the episode "New Student Starfish" SpongeBob says that class does not start until 9:00. So, the time school starts must have changed.
- Patrick makes a reference to "Boating Buddies" when he says that Squidward calls in sick all the time so he does not have to go to boating school.
- The two octopus children from "Squidville" make a cameo in the line for Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy's autograph.
- Sandy is good at badminton and was undefeated before being beaten by SpongeBob and Patrick, yet the crowd only cheered for SpongeBob and not Patrick.
- In "The Fry Cook Games," fish are cooked as fish sticks, and Lou sells them. In this episode, Dale gets arrested for possessing Quasi-Gummy Chewy Candy Fish on account of it being deemed cannibalism. The fish sticks were made from real fish, but the gummy fish were not, so Dale should not have gotten arrested.
- Dale's friend said that Dale has been a criminal ever since he started cutting class even though everyone else in this episode calls it ditching class.
- This is the fourth episode to feature Goo Lagoon without Larry the Lobster. The first is "No Weenies Allowed," the second is "Sun Bleached," and the third is "The Card."
- This is the fourth episode where Mrs. Puff goes to jail. The first is "Hall Monitor," the second is "No Free Rides," and the third is "Doing Time."
- In the German dub, this episode is called "Schulschwänzer," which means "Truancy," a synonym for ditching.
- In the Latin America dubbing, the title of this episode is called "No Dejes la Escuela" that does it mean "Don't Leave School."
- During a tribute to Ernest Borgnine, this episode was skipped for some reason.
- The Bikini Bottom Tar Pits where SpongeBob thought he would drown to death is a parody of the Tar Pits in North America, where extinct skeletons are found.
- When Mermaid Man says, "You'll never escape this time, Man Ray!," his purple belt is miscolored.
- When the narrator says, "You just enjoyed another exciting episode of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.," Barnacle Boy's mouth is missing.
- There are three errors during two of the scenes in Mrs. Puff's Boating School.
- Peterson Nat Tucker's body and pants color changes from yellow and blue to blue and brown.
- Incidental 46's bottom changes from green to red.
- The fish sitting behind SpongeBob's desk changes from Sadie to Dave Frank Percy Isabelle Harold Scooter.
- The fans outside of Near Mint Comic Books should not have their comic books yet because when one gets a book signed, they buy the book at the store and then go over to the signer and get it signed.
- When Patrick eats his chocolate ice cream, he has only one tooth, but when he is done swallowing, he is seen with a full set of teeth.
- In one shot of the badminton competition, Sandy's gray boots are colored white.
- Earlier in the episode when SpongeBob is in Mrs. Puff's Boating School, Dale is not seen. Later in the episode, a fish stated Dale went to Boating School before getting arrested.
- When SpongeBob gets his legs back before the Bikini Bottom Hug Festival, his left eye flickers.
- When SpongeBob is trapped in tar, he remembers Mrs. Puff's kind last words as "Make sure you return that bathroom key to my desk or you're in big trouble mister!" However, after she said those words that SpongeBob claimed were her last, she also said, "No dilly-dallying!"
- SpongeBob getting distracted while trying to get back to class.