— Dennis to SpongeBob and Patrick as they ride on Hasselhoff's back.
Dennis the Hitman, better known simply as Dennis is a fish who is the secondary antagonist of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
He has a muscular physique, light olive-green skin and wears a black cowboy hat, red bandana with white crosses covering his mouth, an angry skull belt with cracks at the top, sunglasses, a knife necklace around his neck, leather black pants, light gray shoulder pads, and a black ripped up vest, and black biker boots on his feet, which have gray, metal spikes hidden underneath.
On his right hand-shaped fin, he wears a black, fingerless glove that trails a few inches up the wrist. This glove is covered in similar, yet less sharp spikes. Under his right shoulder pad is a gray flap, overlapping a darker gray flap.
Dennis retains his overall appearance, but he is now depicted with a black ponytail underneath his hat, and with scars on both sides of his face. Also, Dennis' bandana lacks the white spots, and his shirt is changed from gray to white in the game.
He has the same appearance as in the film but has no cowboy hat, red bandana and sunglasses.
Dennis is a deadly, sadistic, callous, fearless, dangerous, cruel, truculent, and notorious individual, as he holds an illegal occupation title and poses a threatening appearance. He is intimidating towards and even tougher than most fish in the sea; he rips off the mouths of two hillbillies and brutally assaults the Thug Tug leader, Victor.
Abilities and talents
- Strength: Dennis easily rips off Floyd and Lloyd's mouths using his own bare hands for insulting him. He also easily defeats Victor, the burly leader of the Thug Tug, by uppercutting him only once, sending him flying back to the bar and causing the bar to sink. He also swats Patrick away from David Hasselhoff's back all the way to his foot as if he's just a stuff toy.
- Growing a mustache by force: Dennis grows a mustache on command to show SpongeBob and Patrick—who are wearing phony mustaches made out of kelp—what a real mustache looks like.
- Durability: Dennis, despite getting stepped by the gigantic Cyclops, later emerges from the bigger boot unharmed though his clothes are tattered.
- Speed or teleportation: Dennis suddenly appears behind SpongeBob after the latter jumps to David Hasselhoff's other leg to escape him.
- Maneuverability: Dennis is able to drive the Cyclops' boot on the sea to David Hasselhoff's foot even though he is still a squished blob.
Dennis is a mercenary an assassin hitman that is hired by Sheldon J. Plankton to kill SpongeBob SquarePants and Patrick Star. The reason for this is that Plankton stole King Neptune's crown and tricked Neptune into believing the crime was committed by Eugene H. Krabs, so Neptune threatened to execute Krabs unless the crown is retrieved within a period of six days; Plankton, obviously, wants Krabs to die from a painful and wrongful execution, and upon learning about SpongeBob and Patrick's journey to get the crown back, he knew that Neptune would discover that Plankton was the thief and he sends Dennis after them to prevent SpongeBob and Patrick from getting to Shell City
During the journey, Dennis encounters the gas station that SpongeBob and Patrick had gone past earlier. When Floyd and Lloyd begin insulting him, Dennis robs their mouths before moving on.
Later, as SpongeBob and Patrick are being chased by the frogfish, Dennis stops at the Thug Tug. He blows a bubble and finds an image of Patrick and SpongeBob inside to track them. He is then confronted by Victor, who begins to tell him "All bubble-blowing babies will be beaten senseless by-," but before he can finish, Dennis beats him up, sending him flying to the bar.
Dennis then drives away and moves on. When he arrives at the skeleton field, he begins laughing upon crushing a skull. Sometime later, he arrives at the other side of the trench and waits to ambush them on the other side.
SpongeBob and Patrick encounter Dennis for the first time after reaching the end of the Deep Dark Trench. Dennis explains to them that he is a hitman hired to exterminate them. SpongeBob and Patrick laugh him off, believing that they are invincible men with the seaweed mustaches that Princess Mindy gave them earlier. Dennis then rips them off and reveals to them that they are fake. He then shows them his real mustache.
As SpongeBob and Patrick tremble with fear, Dennis tells them that he wants to step on them so they never know that Plankton stole the crown. Having had enough chatting, Dennis prepares to kill them with his "big," spiky boot, only to be stepped on by the Cyclops' (a scuba diver) "bigger boot."
In the climax of the film, SpongeBob and Patrick hitch a ride back to Bikini Bottom on the backside of David Hasselhoff. During the middle of their swim, SpongeBob and Patrick see the boot belonging to the same diver who squished Dennis and kidnapped them earlier. Dennis then detaches from the boot and onto Hasselhoff, revealing that he is still alive. He walks up to SpongeBob and Patrick and the latter suggests that they fight back against him.
Dennis quickly swats him aside and goes after SpongeBob, who tries to bribe Dennis with Goober dollars and bubbles, which damage Dennis' eyes. Irritated, Dennis prepares to finish them off, but as Hasselhoff passes underneath a catamaran sailboat as it hits straight into Dennis' face as the heroes were suprissed as they left the enemy as Patrick say goodbye to him (its unknown if Dennis was either stuck on the boat or he's knocked off and falls back into the sea to his apparent demise).
Dennis appears as the boss in two of the four boss levels in the movie game adaptation: "Name's Dennis" and "Dennis Strikes Back!"
In "Name's Dennis," he places SpongeBob on a stick and attempts to throw projectiles and use smaller enemies to defeat Patrick, who counters and defeats him. As Dennis is about to counterattack them, he is stepped on by the Cyclops.
He, deformed physically, later appears in "Dennis Strikes Back!"; this time, SpongeBob fights him and he must use the bowling ball attack to defeat Dennis. After being defeated, he is about to approach SpongeBob, though he still gets hit by a boat.
- Dennis appears twice and is defeated by pure luck both times. First, he is stepped on by the Cyclops and then is hit by a boat.
- Dennis is one of the few characters in the entirety of the SpongeBob SquarePants universe who is a hitman.
- Besides having appeared on numerous movies such as Mission: Impossible- Rogue Nation, The Hunt for Red October and Glengarry Glen Ross, Alec Baldwin has also lent his voice to numerous DreamWorks movies including Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, Rise of the Guardians and the Boss Baby.
- Patrick thinks he's a mermaid after he shows him and SpongeBob his mustache.
- After Dennis gets crushed by the Cyclops, his glasses broke and his bandana disappears and he is never seen with it on for the rest of the movie.
- In the French dub of the movie, Dennis was voiced by Greek-French TV host Nikos Aliagas.
- In his last scene of the movie when he is about to kill SpongeBob and Patrick one last time and telling them that he will "see them later," the sheen on his boots are gone.
- Dennis is never seen on screen with Plankton despite being hired by him.
- It is never revealed if Dennis lived or died after he got hit by the boat.
- While he is underneath "bigger boot," he is crushed very much like Plankton. There are even dark green wrinkles on him that resemble Plankton's unibrow, eye, and mouth.
- Dennis has many similarities to Judge Doom from Who Framed Roger Rabbit? for the following reasons.
- Both have had artifacts in their shoes (Doom used springs in his shoes to jump higher, and Dennis used spikes on his boots for try to kill SpongeBob and Patrick).
- Both wear black clothes (Doom was dressed as a Judge and Dennis was dressed a hitman).
- Both have an buck-toothed prey (Roger Rabbit is a Doom's prey with buck teeth and SpongeBob is a Dennis' prey).
- Both had a bar-related quest (Judge Doom tried to caught Roger Rabbit in a bar in Los Angeles and Dennis found SpongeBob and Patrick's clues in Thug Tug).