- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Le Squish (debut)
- Mrs. Puff
- The Huff (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Skateboarders (debut)
- Purple Doctorfish
- Tough guy (cameo)
- Popeye fish (cameo)
- Jim (cameo)
- Captain Lutefisk (debut)
- The Cackling Cruiser (debut)
- Blow Torch (debut)
- The Kruncher (debut)
- Divin' Bell Dale (debut)
- Lockjaw Jones (cameo)
- Bikini Bottomites
- Frank (red shirt)
- Frankie Billy
- Sheldon (fish)
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Tina Fran
- Fred (blue)
- Monroe Timmy
- Old Man Jenkins
- Harold (red fish)
- Nat Peterson
- Medley Fishbowl
- Squidina's mother
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Nathiel Waters
- Frank (muscular goldfish)
- Jimmy Gus
- Ivy (gray)
- Tough Fish
SpongeBob goes to boating school and during the test he continues to crash into the same two cars, inflating Mrs. Puff every time he continues to crash into an obstacle. Mrs. Puff then inflates so much, she sends the car airborne. SpongeBob then crashes the car into the lighthouse of the boating school, critically injuring Mrs. Puff.
In the hospital, the purple doctorfish clarifies that Mrs. Puff's inflation sac (the part that pufferfishes use to puff up) was popped in the collision and she will not be able to "puff" again. Mrs. Puff is extremely angry and begins grabbing his nose and threatening him. She is tranquilized to stop her from hurting him. SpongeBob then begins to ramble and the doctor tranquilizes him as well, saying that everyone needs to take a nap.
SpongeBob then visits Mrs. Puff with a bouquet of flowers along with the hundreds of other flowers he sent her, which she appears to be allergic to. After forcing her into a wheelchair, he pushes her down the hallway. Doctors are seen sprinting through the hallway with muscular men on the gurneys. SpongeBob stops the purple doctorfish and asks what was going on. He replies the Demolition Derby members are about to battle in the hospital room, where they appear to be hitting each other with wheelchairs. The purple doctorfish says that they are brave to risk their lives for the community's entertainment. Mrs. Puff imagines them smashing into SpongeBob and killing him and begins laughing hysterically. Her laughing attracts SpongeBob's attention, and she claims she has a way for him to earn "extra credit."
Mrs. Puff talks to derby manager Captain Lutefisk, asking him if she can enter SpongeBob. She shows him how much damage SpongeBob can do with a boat, though he is just using a steering wheel. Lutefisk says he is perfect for the derby and puts a sock on his head, giving him the title "Le Squish." At the derby, SpongeBob is unaware of what he is supposed to do, which is to take out the opponents. Seeing him as an easy target, some competitors ram into him but are unable to hit the car and are all hit by SpongeBob or destroyed in another way by the car. SpongeBob carelessly drives around everywhere, eliminating everyone.
Mrs. Puff is enraged at how SpongeBob is defeating the competitors only by serendipity. She then steals a tractor. She then starts to chase SpongeBob, trying to crush and kill him. She is unsuccessful as SpongeBob avoids her and all the cars are crushed before she breaks the wall and starts chasing him off-road. They then collide into the boating school after Mrs. Puff chases SpongeBob for a while. She somehow regains her "puff," which SpongeBob notices and they get injured by the school, which the tower collapses and crushes them.
According to the storyboard, after SpongeBob went down the rail, the other skaters were originally going to say "Dude!". This was cut.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["It's driving test day!"]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap ["Let's get this party started."]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["No, SpongeBob, not again!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [boat floats up]
‣ Synopsis - Frank Harlow [Mrs. Puff in the hospital]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney [Mrs. Puff growls]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield ["That tickles!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (V) - Jeremy Wakefield [Doctor shot SpongeBob]
‣ Classic Soap - Dieter Reith [SpongeBob brings Mrs. Puff flowers]
‣ A Jolly Jaunt (a) - Dick Stephen Walter ["You need to get out of this stuffy old room."]
‣ A Jolly Jaunt (d) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob takes Mrs. Puff for a stroll.]
‣ Big City Sidewalks - Sam Spence ["Clear the way!"]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green ["Oh, it's nothing serious."]
‣ Monster Wave - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [demolition derby casualties]
‣ Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr ["Risking their lives for our amusement?"]
‣ Sponge Shredder - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Mrs. Puff's daydream]
‣ Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Mrs. Puff laughs]
‣ Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr ["Yes, hooray indeed."]
‣ A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony ["So what do you say, Captain Lutefisk?"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Lutefisk snaps fingers]
‣ A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony [Lutefisk removes one of his shoes]
‣ Crazy Mind - Harry Lubin ["Yes, extra credit..."]
‣ Sponge Shredder - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Lutefisk introduces contestants]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey, that Squish looks pretty tough."]
‣ Sponge Shredder - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Demolition derby begins/All of the drivers surround SpongeBob.]
‣ Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Cackling Cruiser slams into SpongeBob]
‣ Drama Sting 5 - Steve Marston ["If you want someone demolished, I guess you have to demolish them yourself."]
‣ Unknown Track 69 - Mrs. Puff driving a monster truck
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob sees Mrs. Puff]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- This episode is available on the Extreme Kah-Rah-Tay, Complete Eighth Season, Deep-Sea Games, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This episode and "Face Freeze!" aired as part of The Super Spongy Square Games marathon even though they are not from season 9.
- Coincidentally, both episodes are on the Extreme Kah-Rah-Tay DVD.
- It is revealed that Squidward has a carrot patch near his house.
- The plot is similar to "No Free Rides," because Mrs. Puff gets sick of SpongeBob failing and wants him out of her class (although it is taken to extreme proportions including killing him here), so she plans something for SpongeBob and covers it up as extra credit.
- Coincidentally, Mrs. Puff is the main antagonist of both episodes.
- This episode has a similar plot to the video game SpongeBob's Boating Bash for the Wii and Nintendo DS.
- There is a book based on this episode called Demolition Derby.
- This episode is rated PG in Canada.
- Despite the fact that the Purple Doctorfish says that Mrs. Puff can never puff up again, she still puffs up in the end without any explanation.
- This episode marks the second time Mrs. Puff has been flat. The first is in "Patty Hype" when she makes a cameo in the Pretty Patties crowd.
- This episode marks the second time Mrs. Puff is completely deflated. The first is in "Pranks a Lot."
- This episode premiered on Robin Williams' 61st birthday, three years after the To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants DVD was released, and one year after "The Googly Artiste" premiered.
- This episode premiered in Canada 11 years after SuperSponge was released and ten years after "Shanghaied: Patrick's ending" and "Shanghaied: Squidward's ending" premiered and the Sea Stories DVD and "VHS were released.
- This is in the package that made the show the longest running in history.
- It is revealed that Mrs. Puff is allergic to tulips.
- Captain Lutefisk is a reference to the WWE wrestler Captain Lou.
- Captain Lutefisk's name is also a reference to a dish made from fish called "Lutefisk."
- This episode is named after a type of entertainment involving crashing cars into each other called a "demolition derby."
- The Purple Doctorfish says "Come look at this week's casualties." Casualties are people who have been injured or killed in a serious accident. However, the casualties in this episode didn't die.
- When the Kruncher drives away from SpongeBob, after the latter drives over him, the Kruncher's back fins are missing in that shot. There is another shot that also shows his missing back fin.
- Even though Captain Lutefisk introduces the four drivers and SpongeBob, there is another unknown driver who tries to crash SpongeBob along with Blow Torch and Divin' Bell Dale. Those three also drove into another unknown fish that may be also competing in the derby.
- When SpongeBob says "Oh dear, I think I'm in that Fellow's way," his voice is higher-pitched than usual.
- There is a part of this episode where SpongeBob drives on Blow Torch's face, according to the gravity (which is like real life), SpongeBob should have squashed him instead of being balanced on his face.
- When SpongeBob lifts his left leg to floor it, his right foot is shown on the gas instead.
- Mrs. Puff's hair outline turns black on two occasions as she and SpongeBob watch the derby inside the hospital.
- When SpongeBob jumps out of the water (as a real-life kitchen sponge), his sock mask is missing.
- Nat Peterson's lips are a pale yellow in one scene, then blue in the next.
- This episode did not air on the Every SpongeBob Ever marathon and had an ALVINNN! and the Chipmunks episode air instead.