- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Le Squish (debut)
- Mrs. Puff
- The Huff (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Skateboarders (debut)
- Purple Doctorfish
- Tough guy (cameo)
- Popeye fish (cameo)
- Jim (cameo)
- Purple wrestler (cameo)
- Captain Lutefisk (debut)
- The Cackling Cruiser (debut)
- Blow Torch (debut)
- The Kruncher (debut)
- Divin' Bell Dale (debut)
- Lockjaw Jones (cameo)
- Bikini Bottomites
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 114
- Fred (blue)
- Incidental 103
- Old Man Jenkins
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 11
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 24
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 82
- Incidental 152
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 106
In the beginning of the episode, SpongeBob goes to boating school and during the test he continues to crash into the same two cars, inflating Mrs. Puff every time he continues to crash into an obstacle. Mrs. Puff then inflates so much, she sends the car airborne. SpongeBob then crashes the car into the lighthouse of the boating school, crippling Mrs. Puff for the rest of her life.
In the hospital, the purple doctorfish clarifies that Mrs. Puff's inflation sac (the part that pufferfishes use to puff up) was popped in the collision and she will not be able to "puff" again. SpongeBob's joke about her being crippled made Mrs. Puff extremely angry and begins grabbing his nose and threatening him. She is tranquilized to stop her from hurting him. SpongeBob then begins to ramble and the doctor tranquilizes him as well, saying that everyone needs to take a nap.
SpongeBob then visits Mrs. Puff with a bouquet of flowers along with the hundreds of other flowers he sent her, which she appears to be allergic to. After forcing her into a wheelchair, he pushes her down the hallway. Doctors are seen sprinting through the hallway with muscular men on the gurneys. SpongeBob stops the purple doctorfish and asks what was going on. He replies the Demolition Derby members are about to battle in the hospital room, where they appear to be hitting each other with wheelchairs. The purple doctorfish says that they are brave to risk their lives for the community's entertainment. Mrs. Puff imagines them smashing into SpongeBob and killing him and begins laughing hysterically. Her laughing attracts SpongeBob's attention, and she claims she has a way for him to earn "extra credit."
Mrs. Puff talks to derby manager Captain Lutefisk, asking him if she can enter SpongeBob. She shows him how much damage SpongeBob can do with a boat, though he is just using a steering wheel. Lutefisk says he is perfect for the derby and puts a sock on his head, giving him the title "Le Squish." At the derby, SpongeBob is unaware of what he is supposed to do, which is to take out the opponents. Seeing him as an easy target, some competitors ram into him but are unable to hit the car and are all hit by SpongeBob or destroyed in another way by the car. SpongeBob carelessly drives around everywhere, eliminating everyone.
Mrs. Puff is enraged at how SpongeBob is defeating the competitors only by serendipity. She then steals a tractor. She then starts to chase SpongeBob, trying to crush and kill him. She is unsuccessful as SpongeBob avoids her and all the cars are crushed before she breaks the wall and starts chasing him off-road. They then collide into the boating school after Mrs. Puff chases SpongeBob for a while. She somehow regains her "puff," which SpongeBob notices and they get injured by the school, which the tower collapses and crushes them, as the episode ends.
- SpongeBob defeating the contestants.
- SpongeBob insulting Mrs. Puff's deflated state.
- Mrs. Puff getting more furious when SpongeBob keeps surviving.
According to the storyboard, after SpongeBob went down the rail, the other skaters were originally going to say "Dude!" This was cut.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
• Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["It's driving test day!"]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap ["Let's get this party started."]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["No, SpongeBob, not again!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (E) - Ronald Hanmer [boat floats up]
‣ Synopsis - Frank Harlow [Mrs. Puff in the hospital]
‣ Dramatic Impact (5) - Ivor Slaney [Mrs. Puff growls]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 17A - Jeremy Wakefield ["That tickles!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1B - Jeremy Wakefield [Doctor shot SpongeBob]
‣ Classic Soap 14 - Dieter Reith [SpongeBob brings Mrs. Puff flowers]
‣ A Jolly Jaunt (a) - Dick Stephen Walter ["You need to get out of this stuffy old room."]
‣ A Jolly Jaunt (d) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob takes Mrs. Puff for a stroll.]
‣ Big City Sidewalks - Sam Spence ["Clear the way!"]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green ["Oh, it's nothing serious."]
• Monster Wave WO Sax - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [demolition derby casualties]
• Down in Davey Jones Locker - Nicolas Carr ["Risking their lives for our amusement?"]
• Sponge Crusher - Nicolas Carr [Mrs. Puff's daydream]
• Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Mrs. Puff laughs]
• Closing Door Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Yes, hooray indeed."]
• A Fishy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["So what do you say, Captain Lutefisk?"]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [Lutefisk snaps fingers]
• A Fishy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Lutefisk removes one of his shoes]
‣ Crazy Mind - Harry Lubin ["Yes, extra credit..."]
• Mounting Metal Mayhem - Nicolas Carr [Lutefisk introduces contestants]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 5C - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey, that Squish looks pretty tough."]
• Sponge Crusher - Nicolas Carr [Crowd laughs]
• Sponge Shredder - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Demolition derby begins]
• Sponge Crusher - Nicolas Carr [All of the drivers surround SpongeBob]
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Cackling Cruiser slams into SpongeBob/SpongeBob defeating everyone]
• Drama Sting 5 - Steve Marston ["If you want someone demolished, I guess you have to demolish them yourself."]
‣ Battle Of The Axes - Andrew MacDonald, Bryan New [Mrs. Puff driving a monster truck]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 13B - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob sees Mrs. Puff]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 2C - Jeremy Wakefield ["Yes, perfectly normal."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 10 - Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- This episode is available on the Extreme Kah-Rah-Tay, Complete Eighth Season, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, Super Spongy Square Games, Driving Bikini Bottom Crazy!, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 14, Deep-Sea Games, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This episode and "Face Freeze!" aired as part of The Super Spongy Square Games marathon even though they are not from season 9.
- Coincidentally, both episodes are on the Extreme Kah-Rah-Tay DVD.
- It is revealed that Squidward has a carrot patch near his house.
- The plot is similar to "No Free Rides," because Mrs. Puff gets sick of SpongeBob failing and wants him out of her class (although it is taken to extreme proportions including killing him here), so she plans something for SpongeBob and covers it up as extra credit.
- This episode has a similar plot to the video game SpongeBob's Boating Bash for the Wii and Nintendo DS.
- There is a book based on this episode called Demolition Derby.
- Starting from this episode, there are black outlines around Mrs. Puff's shoes.
- Despite the fact that the Purple Doctorfish says that Mrs. Puff can never puff up again, she still puffs up in the end without any explanation.
- This episode marks the second time Mrs. Puff has been flat. The first is in "Patty Hype" when she makes a cameo in the Pretty Patties crowd.
- This episode marks the second time Mrs. Puff is completely deflated. The first is in "Pranks a Lot."
- This, along with its sister episode made this show the longest running Nickelodeon show in history.
- It is revealed that Mrs. Puff is allergic to tulips.
- The Kruncher is slung into the wall against SpongeBob's body, because he's an invertebrate. However, some episodes such as "The Splinter" and "The Inside Job" show he has a skeletal system.
- How each contestant gets defeated by SpongeBob:
- The Kruncher gets slung against SpongeBob's body into the wall.
- The back wheel sends dust flying into Divin' Bell Dale's face, blinding him and sending him crashing into the Kruncher.
- Blow Torch sends SpongeBob flying, only for him to come back down and plow him in the face and run right over it.
- SpongeBob gets hit by the Cackling Cruiser from behind, causing him to bounce off the wall and crash right into him.
- SpongeBob flies over the Cackling Cruiser, who misses him and hits Kruncher instead.
- SpongeBob manages to maneuver around each contestant one after the other, who miss him and end up colliding with a fish in a boat.
- SpongeBob drives right up Blow Torch's bow, causing him to crash.
- All of the contestants end up crashed on top of each other, with SpongeBob, unharmed, on top, winning the derby.
- Mrs. Puff joins the derby last minute as "The Huff"; SpongeBob easily avoids her and outruns her, crashing into the Boating School.
- This episode is rated PG by the Canadian TV Rating System in Canada.
- In the Filipino airing this and its sister episode are mistakenly listed as a Season 9 episode.
- This was later fixed on July 16, 2015.
- Karma: Mrs. Puff attempted to kill SpongeBob, which led to her Boating School destroyed yet deserved/justified destruction of her school.
- Irony: Mrs. Puff would've been arrested for attempting murder.
- In real life, it is a rare phenomenon for someone to get injured or killed in a demolition derby.
- Captain Lutefisk is a reference to the WWE wrestler Captain Lou.
- Captain Lutefisk's name is also a reference to a dish made from fish called "Lutefisk."
- The Purple Doctorfish says "Come look at this week's casualties." Casualties are people who have been injured or killed in a serious accident. However, the casualties in this episode didn't die.
- When the Kruncher drives away from SpongeBob, after the latter drives over him, the Kruncher's back fins are missing in that shot. There is another shot that also shows his missing back fin.
- Even though Captain Lutefisk introduces the four drivers and SpongeBob, there is another unknown driver who tries to crash SpongeBob along with Blow Torch and Divin' Bell Dale. Those three also drove into another unknown fish that may be also competing in the derby.
- When SpongeBob says "Oh dear, I think I'm in that Fellow's way," his voice is higher-pitched than usual.
- There is a part of this episode where SpongeBob drives on Blow Torch's face, according to the gravity (which is like real life), SpongeBob should have squashed him instead of being balanced on his face.
- When SpongeBob lifts his left leg to floor it, his right foot is shown on the gas instead.
- Mrs. Puff's hair outline turns black on two occasions as she and SpongeBob watch the derby inside the hospital.
- When SpongeBob jumps out of the water (as a real-life kitchen sponge), his sock mask is missing.
- Nat Peterson's lips are a pale yellow in one scene, then blue in the next.