- Eugene H. Krabs
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Debbie Rechid (cameo in movie)
- Miss Shell
- Old Man Jenkins
SynopsisMr. Krabs creates a "promotion" to the Krusty Krab by selling Regular, Large and Viking Sized Drinks (which really are all the same size) in a bid to save the restaurant money, yet at the same time, to fool the customers into paying more money for the same size drink. He also states that whoever purchases a Viking Sized cup tries on a cardboard helmet (that he found in his attic) which is also a gimmick to obtain money. This gets SpongeBob interested in Vikings. Squidward then teaches him about Vikings, though nothing he said was true. Then SpongeBob sends a letter to the Vikings although it is immediately thrown out, as the letter doesn't have a valid address on it (SpongeBob wrote "To Vikings" with a heart).
Meanwhile, at the post office, a garbageman (who is a Viking) notices it and delivers the letter to the Viking Chief. He then sends his men to the Krusty Krab to teach them about the Vikings (which is redecorating, appropriating, and liberating) and they kidnap SpongeBob and Squidward. The Vikings bring SpongeBob and Squidward to their ship where they then introduce themselves as Gordon and a bunch of Olafs. SpongeBob then asks what they do for fun (which is just throwing a shield), then one says they like to sing songs, even though they actually don't. The Vikings proceed to make SpongeBob the head chef, and Squidward the bathroom attendant. Soon afterward, Squidward complains about the poor lifestyle, which results in the Vikings tying him to a catapult in an effort to launch him off of their ship. Soon, the Vikings discover that they have hit a rock and that their boat will leak, which gives SpongeBob an idea. He then plugs up the boat with his porous appearance, and saves the Vikings, claiming the events to be "a viking sized adventure."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Happy Sack Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [opening]
• Accordian Fanfare - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["There's Regular, Large..."]
• French Horn Rips - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["...and the new Viking Size!"]
• Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["But Mr. Krabs, these are all the same size."]
• Viking Horn - Nicolas Carr [cardboard Viking helmet]
• Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Don't you know when you're being ignored?"]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob asks what a Viking is.]
• Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["The Vikings lived a long time ago."]
‣ The Quest (a) - Robert Foster [Squidward teaching SpongeBob about the Vikings]
• Comic Walk - Nicolas Carr ["Of course they do."]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [SpongeBob writing a letter to the Vikings]
‣ Hurry - Ludo Philipp [at the post office]
‣ Roman Empire - Larry Hochman [Viking garbageman]
‣ Celtic Lands - David Farnon [at the Viking lair]
‣ Big Bad Giant - Paddy Kingsland [garbageman enters]
‣ Celtic Lands - David Farnon ["Your Majesty, look! A letter!"]
‣ Gates of Troy - David Farnon [Viking ship arrives at Krusty Krab]
‣ Portents of War (a) - Robert Foster [SpongeBob and Squidward kidnapped]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Squidward?"]
• French Horn Rips - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [shot of Viking ship]
‣ Big Bad Giant - Paddy Kingsland [Vikings introduce themselves]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Like what?"]
• Boring Morning - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [shield toss]
‣ March to Conquest (a) - Roderick Skeaping, Robin James Jeffrey ["No, we don't!"]
‣ Big Bad Giant - Paddy Kingsland ["So tell me, what is it that you two know how to do?"]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward saying all the things he can do]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward assigned to bathroom attendant]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["Hold it right there, whiskers!"]
‣ March to Conquest (a) - Robin James Jeffrey, Roderick Skeaping [Squidward about to be catapulted off the ship]
‣ Entry of the Heroes A - Gregor F. Narholz ["You mean to question the will of the tribe?"]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner [ship hits an iceberg]
• Toy Piano - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [security blanket]
‣ Attack - Anthony Hymas [SpongeBob saves the ship]
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- The episode is available on the Viking-Sized Adventures, Season 6 Volume 2, Complete Sixth Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This episode was nominated for an Emmy at the 2009 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Special Class - Short-Format Animated Programs.
- This episode was available on the iTunes store before this episode aired, and it was paired with "Ditchin'" for just $1.99 the pair.
- This episode premiered as one of seven in the Super Stuffed Nicksgiving Weekend 2008.
- The title card background for "Pull Up a Barrel" is similar to this episode. The only difference is that the thin metal is horizontal in this title card, while in "Pull Up a Barrel," it is vertical.
- SpongeBob mentions the episode title when he reads his note out loud.
- SpongeBob's letter:
- Dear Vikings, I am writing to ask you guys about your lives and stuff. If you had take the time to answer all my neat questions, then that would be really swell.
- In Germany, all the Vikings are called Olaf except Gordon, who is called Günther.
- List of facts about Vikings way of life:
- Like to redecorate (demolish things)
- Do appropriate things (steal loot)
- Liberate (take hostages)
- Fun activities:
- Shield toss
- Flaming shield toss
- All of the vikings having the name Olaf is likely a reference to all of the vikings sharing the name of Magnus in the 2002 Robbie the Reindeer episode "Legend of the Lost Tribe."
- When SpongeBob said the cups were the same size, the regular size cup is slightly smaller.
- When Squidward is first shown, there are cobwebs on him. But later, there are no cobwebs on Squidward when he is shown again.
- During the scene where SpongeBob says, "I'll let you know if I think of anything," his nose looks like Squidward's. When the camera switches then switches back to SpongeBob, his nose is normal again.
- When the ship hits the iceberg, the figurehead falls off, but later, it is still there.