The Cyclops is a large, human hardhat diver who appears as the tertiary antagonist of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. His main purpose is to capture marine life and turn them into knick-knacks at the gift shop Shell City.
The Cyclops is a human and wears a worn-down, standard, vintage hardhat diving dress consisting of the following:
- Loose grimy tan diving dress with legs folded up to his ankles
- Mildew stained wrist cuffs
- Weight control belt connected to underbelt
- Two faded rubber shoulder straps
- Dented copper diving helmet with two regulators and helmet window stained with fluorescent green and blue algae (hence why he is called the Cyclops)
- Copper breastplate with unintelligible manufacturer logo
- Brass corselet
- Weighted boots with brass soles, straps, and rope-like laces tied in a crude knot
- Rough, slightly loose, cracked brown diving gloves
- Glue (specifically Elmer's Glue)
- Large swarms of marine life
- Violent fish
- Giant compared to the mouse-sized duo of SpongeBob and Patrick
- Can step on a fish quickly with his weighted boots
- Large hands to grab more marine life
- Rough gloves for traction on his victim so they cannot escape
- Diving helmet protects his head
- Looks terrifying, making his targets easier to spot because they're running away
- Light within the "eye" allows for enhanced vision
Role in movie
The Cyclops' existence is first heard of in the beginning of the movie when Princess Mindy mentions him while she is warning SpongeBob and Patrick about the hazards of venturing out to Shell City, where King Neptune's crown is being withheld. The Cyclops is said to guard Shell City and is described as a giant when Mindy classifies him as the worst of the hazards.
Later in the movie, just when Dennis is about to step on SpongeBob and Patrick, the Cyclops finally appears, more specifically, his "bigger boot" that unintentionally and easily steps on Dennis, crushing him under the weight of the Cyclops, saving the duo from Dennis, but unfortunately not necessarily from the Cyclops himself. Patrick is just about to make a run for it when SpongeBob notifies him that the hardhat diver's benefactor of a boot had saved their lives.
They display gratitude towards the pernicious diver for saving them from Dennis, referring to the Cyclops originally as "Stranger" for not knowing the Cyclops' true identity at the time, but the Cyclops just stands there, looking for his next victims. Then fear and realization strikes SpongeBob and Patrick when the Cyclops looks directly down at them, his hands ready to grab the two. SpongeBob and Patrick then discover that this abnormally large "stranger" who saved them from the evil Dennis was the even more monstrous Cyclops guarding Shell City, as mentioned in Princess Mindy's warning.
SpongeBob and Patrick try to run away, but with the diver's bigger boots clomping down behind them, fail miserably, and the Cyclops snatch them up tightly, gives them a long, menacing stare, and proceeds onward to the atrocious gift shop, Shell City, abducting the protagonists to the surface. SpongeBob and Patrick are stuffed in a bag and driven to Shell City in the Cyclops' boat, as shown in the script.
The Cyclops then puts SpongeBob and Patrick in his glass bowl and holds them captive in Shell City. First, he decides to scare them for entertainment, so he sneaks up behind them, stalks them a bit, exaggerates his breathing, and when SpongeBob and Patrick turn around, he scares the two and evilly laughs. He then gets over it, takes out a small toolbox SpongeBob refers to as his "evil instruments of
torture." He then takes glue and googly eyes out and answers SpongeBob's question about what his business is with them by making a humorous diorama of "Alexander Clam Bell" out of a dead clam, a play hat, a small rotary phone, and the craft tools he took out of his toolbox while merrily humming to show them what he does to sea creatures and that they were next to be transformed into knick-knacks.
Once he had done these two things, he grabs SpongeBob and Patrick and places them under his heat lamp so they would dry up and die, giving him an opportunity to transform them into smelly knick-knacks. The Cyclops then grabs a book and goes into Shell City's restroom, also humming on the way there. Before their death, they both shed a single tear, which later rolls down the heat lamp's wire and shorts out a power outlet that smokes up, causing the fire sprinklers to set off. The two are revived and proceed to get Neptune's crown, but the Cyclops notices them so he grabs them to prevent them from returning the crown. The other sea creatures are also revived, all of which are furious at the Cyclops for killing them. One of the lobsters uses his own glue to squirt in his face, knocking him over, then the other revived sea creatures, minus the mariachi band who plays instead, swarm the Cyclops and attack him for his actions.
Role in video game
His role in the video game is identical to his role in the film. The only level he appears in is "Google-eyes and Smelly Knickknacks." Where SpongeBob and Patrick are in Shell City, using King Neptune's crown to slide on a bunch of different colored hoses and electrical cables while trying to find a way out as the Cyclops pops up near the hoses as they are sliding in a terrorizing manor, and his hand appears in front of the jumps between the electrical cables on the higher level like he is trying to grab SpongeBob and Patrick.
He appears as a boss in which both SpongeBob and Patrick was to defeat.
He appears when SpongeBob and Patrick are about to get dried.
- His appearance is a reference to Polyphemus from Homer's epic poem, the Odyssey.
- His only lines are "Uh-oh." and "Huh?" when the dead sea creatures proceed to attack him for killing them, but mostly the breathing is heard from the inside of his helmet.
- Mindy warns SpongeBob and Patrick not to get caught by the Cyclops or they'll never be seen again. However, when SpongeBob and Patrick are caught by the Cyclops, they end up in Shell City, which proves that Mindy is wrong. However, this is because the Cyclops is just a human in a diving suit, not an actual Cyclops monster; meaning there are more of them; SpongeBob and Patrick are simply lucky that they are caught by the diver who runs Shell City and not a different shop.
- He looks very similar to the French Narrator from the episode "Feral Friends."