- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Daydream Squidward (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 4 (cameo)
- Pearl Krabs
- Incidental 15
- Bubble hippo (debut)
- Incidental 6
- Mrs. Blandy (cameo) (debut)
- Orange lady (debut)
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 2
- Margaret SquarePants
- Harold SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Incidental 18
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- The Amazing Plankton (debut)
- Incidental 5
- Patrick Star
- Fancy fish (debut)
- Sandy Cheeks (cameo)
- Fancy man (debut)
- Incidental F4 (debut)
- Incidental 16
The episode begins with the Krusty Krab without any customers paying for Krabby Patties. Mr. Krabs doesn’t understand why people don’t come to the restaurant even though he installed a free Salad Bar. Mr. Krabs calls down SpongeBob and Squidward so they can come up with new ways to reel in customers. After awhile of devising plans, they settle for a talent show.
They set up the show and at night, many people come to see the performances. Pearl is the first to go up, and she does a cheerleading performance (which her jumps make everyone flying briefly). Next, Gary makes a speech, and after that, Plankton attempts to use magic to steal the formula.
The last one is from Squidward, but his performance is so bad the audience throws tomatoes at him. Mr. Krabs notices the fiasco and he decides to sell the tomatoes of the Salad Bar at $1.00. After the performance, SpongeBob cleans up the mess, which the audience enjoys. The episode ends with Mr. Krabs announcing that he'll start another show the next week as this show was successful.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ K-55 - The Woodies [opening]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie ["A customer! Welcome to the Krusty Krab!"]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [The customer wants just the change.]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [Krabs puts the penny in his safe]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["A free pair of socks with every purchase!"]
‣ Horror Build (g) - Dave Hewson ["Or maybe double-patty midnight madness!"]
‣ Tonight's Prizes - Dick Stephen Walter [Squidward suggests a talent show]
‣ A Hat, a Cane - Ronnie Hazlehurst [SpongeBob's tap dancing act]
• Seaweed - Steve Belfer ["Okay, I get it."]
‣ Theatreland - Dick Stephen Walter [red carpet]
‣ The Circus Comes to Town! - Dick Stephen Walter ["The amazing Mister Absorbency!"]
‣ Fates - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob begs to be in the show]
‣ Whisper from the Past [#64.02] - Gregor F. Narholz ["So this is what it feels like."]
‣ Driving Jazz [#9.06] - David Arnold, Paul Hart [Squidward comes on stage]
‣ Drum Roll to Cymbal [#46] - Martyn David, Alan Bell, Roger Stephen Dexter [rimshot]
‣ Action and Glamour 8 - Milan Pilar [Pearl on stage]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [after Pearl's act]
‣ Walking Bass - Richard Myhill [Gary's poetry]
‣ Exotique A - Paul Lenart, Bill Novick [Plankton's magic act]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer ["You may win this time. Shia-kazing!"]
‣ Timpani Roll - Sammy Burdson ["And now, ladies and gentlemen..."]
‣ Jazz Fanfare [#28.02] - Tony Tape [Squidward Live]
‣ Jazz Fanfare [#28] - Tony Tape [Squidward Live]
‣ Head Over Heels (a) - Andrew Jackman [first part of Squidward's act]
‣ In House Jazz B - Laszlo Bencker [second part of Squidward's act]
‣ Theatreland - Dick Stephen Walter [ending]
- This episode is available on the Home Sweet Pineapple, Nicktoons The Show Must Go On!, 10 Happiest Moments, Complete 1st Season, Big Hits: Volume 2, Triple Pack 4, The First & Second Seasons, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 1, The Complete First Season, From the Beginning, Pt.1, SpongeBob SquarePants, iSponge Offer Pack, Fine Arts Collection, Movies & TV Collection, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, First 100 Episodes, and Hall Monitor DVDs.
- This episode is also available on the Nicktoons The Show Must Go On! (VHS) tape.
- "Culture Shock" was ranked #48 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- In the French, Hebrew and Russian dubs, Plankton says "Abracadabra!" instead of "She-hah-kazing!"
- In the French dub, the title card uses a different background.
- The German version of this episode's title card uses the same background as the one for "Sandy's Rocket."
- Here are all the contestants from the talent show and the talent they performed:
- 1. Pearl does cheerleading for the Krusty Krab.
- 2. Gary meows poetry.
- 3. Plankton does a magic trick (but is really trying to steal a Krabby Patty).
- 4. Squidward dances to techno music.
- 5. SpongeBob mops.
- "My leg!:" Pearl finishes her cheerleading just as the people crash everywhere.
- Squidward's dance can be classified into two parts. The first part has him dancing to classical music with arm-wheeling movements in a swimsuit; the second has him dancing to a freestyle/synthesized didgeridoo pattern with Squidward doing a type of Wave dance with foot-sliding included as well as spluttering, in a swimsuit.
- There are two online games based on this episode named Dancin' Tentacles and BoogieBob DancePants.
- There is also a book based on this episode named Talent Show.
- This is the first of four episodes transcribed as a comic into the SpongeBob SquarePants/Tokyopop book Krusty Krab Adventures. The other three were "The Algae's Always Greener," "Pizza Delivery," and "Pickles".
- This episode premiered on Dan Povenmire's 36th birthday.
- An image from Squidward's dance and an image of Harold and Margaret SquarePants wearing their dress clothes are featured in the protective case of The SpongeBob SquarePants Experience: A Deep Dive into the World of Bikini Bottom.
- SpongeBob calls Francis "monsieur," which is a form of address while speaking to a French man.
- This is the first episode to only take place in the Krusty Krab.
- The "Well, this stinks" quote said by Plankton is recycled from the episode "Plankton!"
- It is revealed that Sandy understands Gary.
- Plankton's "She-hah-kazing!” line was reused in a trailer for the game Lights, Camera, Pants!
- This is the first episode where Plankton appears without Karen.
- Three scenes in this episode have become internet memes:
- Gary's poetry, which can be replaced by other audio tracks.
- Squidward dancing, where the music in the background changes to a different song which reaches the chorus during the second part of the act.
- The audience cheering for SpongeBob but going silent for Squidward.
- While Gary reads poetry, Squidward says "Come on, Ginsberg" as an allusion to the beat poet Allen Ginsberg.
- Dr. Clean is a parody of Mr. Clean.
- In the scene in which SpongeBob's parents walk in, Patrick is seen standing next to Mr. Krabs, but in the next scene, he is not.
- On Nickelodeon and Nicktoons TV airings in the USA, the entire episode, along with its sister "F.U.N.," are noticeably brighter in saturation.
- When Squidward introduces his act, the clock above the doors is not there.
- During the talent show, the curtains change colors: red, green, and purple.
- At the beginning of the talent show, Squidward says, "...the First Annual Squidward Tentacles Talent Show." However, at the end of the episode, Mr. Krabs says, "...Next week's show."
- For a split second, when SpongeBob shows Dr. Clean, his chin goes in front of the bottle.
- When the background comes down for Squidward's act, his outline isn't drawn, but it is drawn in the next scene.
- When SpongeBob runs up while Mr. Krabs says, "SpongeBob, cater to his every whim...," SpongeBob's footsteps are heard even though he slides into the frame as opposed to running in.
- When Mr. Krabs puts the $1.00 on the salad bar, not all of the free-of-charge words are covered. One example is that the salad bar still reads "No charge" on it.
- When Mr. Krabs put his arm to Squidward's neck and says to him that he will have another wheelbarrow for the next week's show, Mr. Krabs' arm is seen going through Squidward's neck.
- SpongeBob constantly asking Squidward if he can be in the talent show.
- Squidward rejecting SpongeBob's acts.
- Squidward getting hit by tomatoes.
- When SpongeBob mops the floor, the audience praises him.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|