- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Cuddle E. Hugs (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sandy Cheeks
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Gary the Snail
- Bikini Bottomites
- Sea urchin (mentioned)
The episode begins with SpongeBob and Squidward cleaning the Krusty Krab. Squidward finds an old Krabby Patty and tries to throw it away, but SpongeBob tells him all Krabby Patties should not be wasted. He eats the patty, only to gag. Realizing Squidward was right, he chooses not to eat more after Squidward mockingly tries to give him more. When he goes outside, he meets a giant hamster named Cuddle E. Hugs and becomes friends with him.
SpongeBob and Cuddle E. Hugs do several activities until they go to SpongeBob's home to sleep. In the morning, Cuddle E. Hugs is gone, but when he eats the moldy Krabby Patty from earlier to make himself feel better, the hamster appears again. Afterwards, SpongeBob tries to show Cuddle E. Hugs to his friends, but nobody sees him as SpongeBob is hallucinating about the hamster.
Cuddle E. Hugs tells SpongeBob the secret that the moldy patty allowed him to see Hugs. He tells SpongeBob he should feed the moldy patty to the citizens of Bikini Bottom, so he goes to the Krusty Krab to sell tiny pieces of the moldy patty for free. After everyone eats it, they see Cuddle E. Hugs and start cuddling his soft fur.
However, he starts to eat all of them, but in truth, they are hallucinating and running around. When Squidward arrives, he sees the crazed citizens and is put off by the sight. He then decides to go back home, as the restaurant is crazy.
When the Bikini Bottomites wake up the next morning, they are angry at SpongeBob for doing this. Sandy tells SpongeBob to make a better imaginary friend before leaving with the mad crowd. SpongeBob eats more of the moldy Krabby Patty to ask Cuddle E. Hugs why he ate everyone. He says that he ate everyone as the E in his name stands for Eat. Thinking he is still hungry, SpongeBob makes Cuddle E. Hugs eat a leftover part of the moldy Krabby Patty, transporting him into a girl's bedroom in the surface world, as the episode ends.
- People not seeing Cuddle E. Hugs.
- Cuddle E. Hugs telling SpongeBob what his name stands for.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Borborygmus - Jean-Jacques Perrey [Title card.]
• Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Opening.]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward choking on gum.]
‣ Drama Link (B) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward smells the rotten Krabby Patty.]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club (a) - Otto Sieben, David Bell [SpongeBob doesn't let Squidward throw the rotten Krabby Patty to the trash.]
‣ Borborygmus - Jean-Jacques Perrey [Cuddle E. Hugs introduces himself to SpongeBob.]
• Sixty's Happy Times - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Cuddle E. Hugs having fun.]
‣ Bal Campagnard - Jean-Jacques Perrey, Harry Breuer [Cuddle E. Hugs enters SpongeBob's home, and both go to bed.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob wakes up.]
• New Vibe Hits 2007 - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob sees that Cuddle E. Hugs is gone.]
• A Simple Conversation 1 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob takes a bite of the rotten Krabby Patty.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I don't feel so good."]
‣ Borborygmus - Jean-Jacques Perrey [Cuddle E. Hugs reappears.]
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob sees Squidward on the street.]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Who are you talking to?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 20 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward kicks SpongeBob out of the way.]
‣ Borborygmus - Jean-Jacques Perrey ["No need to be sorry, SpongeBob."]
• Fooling Around 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob tells Patrick and Sandy about Cuddle E. Hugs.]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
• Fooling Around 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Sandy thinks that Cuddle E. Hugs is an SpongeBob's imaginary friend.]
‣ Borborygmus - Jean-Jacques Perrey [Cuddle E. Hugs explains why no one else can see him.]
• I Have an Idea - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea.]
‣ Borborygmus - Jean-Jacques Perrey [SpongeBob decides to share the rotten patty with everyone else.]
• Jovial Pirate's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob sells aged Krabby Patties at the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Dinosaurs About - John Fox, Mac Prindy [Customers eating aged patties and getting sick.]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [Patrick sees Cuddle E. Hugs.]
‣ Musique De L'Infini - Jean-Jacques Perrey ["Yes! Make them all see me, SpongeBob! Make them all see Cuddle E. Hugs!"]
‣ Unknown Track 57 - Krabs eats a bite of an aged patty.
• Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr [Krabs sees Cuddle E. Hugs.]
‣ L'Horloge Hantee - Jean-Jacques Perrey, Harry Breuer [Everyone goes to Cuddle's skin.]
‣ Musique De L'Infini - Jean-Jacques Perrey [Cuddle E. Hugs starts eating everyone.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 23 - Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone is crowded the next day at the Krusty Krab.]
• Salt Water Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone gets angry with SpongeBob.]
‣ Quirky Tension B - John Epping [SpongeBob eats part of the aged patty.]
‣ Borborygmus - Jean-Jacques Perrey [Cuddle E. Hugs reappears.]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob feeds Cuddle E. Hugs the last piece of the aged patty.]
‣ Borborygmus - Jean-Jacques Perrey [Cuddle E. Hugs as a real hamster.]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 18, The Complete Eleventh Season, and Chatterbox Gary DVDs.
- The title is a pun on "cuddly hugs."
- This is the only season 11 episode where Incidental 42 appears.
- The Krusty Krab dumpster has a different design in this episode, as it is usually depicted as having a green top and bamboo edges, while in this episode, it is entirely blue.
- This is the first episode to use the APM track "Lonely Heart's Club (a)" since "Married to Money." It is also the only season 11 episode to play the track.
- The track "Borborygmus" is played eight times. This is the most an APM track has ever played in an episode, only being beaten by "Take That (a)" playing in "Karate Choppers" nine times.
- The track is a strong fit for this episode, as the actual definition of borborygmus is "a rumbling or gurgling noise made by the movement of fluid and gas in the intestines."
- When Sandy says, "imaginary," she creates a rainbow with her hands, which is a reference to "Idiot Box."
- When Patrick pops out of the garbage and says "One man's garbage...," this is a play on the old saying "One man's junk is another man's treasure."
- That saying is also referenced as the title of the episode “One Krabs Trash.”
- Sandy is shown scratching her head in one scene, even though she is wearing her helmet.
- When Sandy says "imaginary," her eyelashes are missing.
- When Sandy leaves SpongeBob and Cuddle E. Hugs, the latter's hat is missing.
- After Cuddle E. Hugs says "And hug your new best friend," Patrick is seen on the floor of the Krusty Krab, but when the background changes, he is on Cuddle E. Hugs.
- When Gary is licking his eyes, a portrait of him and a Shell Phone are seen. However, in the next shot, they are gone.
- During the end scene, a large SpongeBob plush beside the bed has multiple errors.