This article is in need of a better quality video. Please help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by uploading a better video.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Krabby Patty workers
- Herb (debut)
- Loretta (debut)
- Timmy (patty) (debut)
- Sally (patty) (debut)
- Pete (patty) (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Mrs. Tentacles (cameo in a photo)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Barnacle Boy (mentioned)
- Simmy (debut)
- Tally (debut)
- Kelpy (cameo as a toy)
- Pearl Krabs (cameo as a toy)
- Dolphin toy (debut)
- Walrus toys (debut)
- Beary (cameo on the backboard of the ball toss game)
- Unicorn (debut) (cameo on the backboard of the ball toss game)
- Dinosaur (debut) (cameo on the backboard of the ball toss game)
- Mayonnaise Bad (debut) (mentioned)
- Bug (debut)
- Fish skeletons
- King Neptune (mentioned)
The episode starts at the Krusty Krab, where SpongeBob is playing with patty meat and other ingredients on the grill. Since it is a slow day, he imagines the Krabby Patties coming to life. Tossing around the pickles, one suddenly launches into Squidward's eye, causing him to mistakenly grab the hot sauce and squirt it into his eye. Mr. Krabs then extinguishes his eye, and the Krabby Patties SpongeBob had left on the grill. Mr. Krabs is curious as to why SpongeBob isn't working. Since SpongeBob had his Krabby Patties on a picnic, Mr. Krabs decides to throw his own company picnic.
Plankton meanwhile spies on the crew through the back window, and gets an idea to throw his own company picnic, too.
This leads to a transition where Mr. Krabs is acting cheap again with the picnic materials and ends up devastating the company picnic. To boost Squidward's sour attitude, Mr. Krabs tries to play games to do so, but Squidward still resents him. Plankton comes by and sets up a more fun company picnic that Squidward and Mr. Krabs soon rushes over to. While Mr. Krabs and Squidward frolic, after SpongeBob accidentally throws the pen used to sign a contract that will make Mr. Krabs work for Plankton, after seeing it go through a robot, he realizes all the content in Plankton's company picnic were holograms, and SpongeBob soon rushes over to stop them from being deceived. The episode ends with Plankton being launched in a plate of mustard and explodes when it hit the land.
- Squidward getting hurt.
The image of a script listed "Dueling Picnics" as a former title. The episode script was written by Jack Pendarvis and the story is by Mr. Lawrence. On an interesting note, Kyle McCulloch is another writer for this episode. Although, this fact wasn't known until the episode was officially released.
In the storyboard version of the scene where Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob talk about going on a company picnic:
- Herb's family is shaped differently than in the final version.
- In the storyboard version, there is one pickle on the image on the pickle jar. In the final version, there are two.
- In the storyboard version, the pickles in the jar are slices. In the final version, they are full pickles.
- In the storyboard version, the calendar next to the pickle jar has more than one ship. In the final version, there is only one ship.
- In the storyboard version, in the bun image, more of the bottom box appears than in the final version, the bottom right drawer is overflowing with buns, and the bottom left drawer has a label. In the final version, less of the bottom box appears than in the storyboard version, the bottom right drawer is not overflowing with buns, and the bottom left drawer does not have a label on it. Also, the barrel and trash can are different in that storyboard version than in the final version.
- In the storyboard version, the ketchup bottles, thee image on them, and the faucet are all different than in the final version.
- In the storyboard version, the hose is wrapped around the holder twice. In the final version, it is wrapped around once.
- Pete looks different in the storyboard version than in the final version.
- The productivity chart ketchup line is a little different in the storyboard version than in the final version.
- When Mr. Krabs says, "No! Not leaving the workplace for pleasure," in the final version, he looks like he did in his previous shot, but in the storyboard version, he does not.
- When Mr. Krabs says, "Gee, SpongeBob, do you think if I threw a picnic, your productivity would increase?," the first image in the storyboard features Mr. Krabs with his left claw up with the pincers pointing up. In the final version, at no point in that period does Mr. Krabs lift his left claw up and have his pincers pointing up.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Another Best Day Ever - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
• Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [opening at Krusty Krab]
‣ Dramatic Impact (6) - Ivor Slaney [pickle flies into Squidward's eye]
‣ Monster Bug A - Gregor Narholz [pickle impacts into Squidward's eye]
‣ House Of Horror - William Merrick Farran [Squidward screams]
‣ Dramatic Cue (E) - Ronald Hanmer [Krabs with fire extinguisher]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 16 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs sprays Squidward]
• An Underwater Conversation - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob's food friends]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 11 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey, what's wrong with Pete?"]
• Silly Bob Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [productivity chart]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["Hey!"]
• Silly Bob Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob suggests to Mr. Krabs to do a company picnic.]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["See, look!"]
• Silly Bob Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs considers throwing a company picnic.]
• Showbizzy March - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs and SpongeBob high five each other]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton spying]
• Solo Steel 2 - Jeremy Wakefield [picnic in Jellyfish Fields]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob makes a toilet paper hat]
• Silly Bob Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward picks up a mustard packet]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I don't see it anywhere."]
‣ Bumbling (b) - Bernd Gesell [Krabs won't let Squidward leave]
• Superfriends Wipe - Nicolas Carr ["Hi, I'm Barnacle Boy!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs and SpongeBob laugh]
‣ Enchanted [#67.02] - Gregor Narholz ["We've learned a little something."]
‣ Everlasting (d) - Gregor Narholz ["...the greatest company picnic ever!"]
• Plankton’s Party Bus - Nicolas Carr [bus approaches]
• Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Chumpany picnic?"]
• Unknown Track 17 - ? [Plankton shows SpongeBob all the activities/A calliope is played.]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward runs past Krabs]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (s) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob zips Krabs' shell]
• Unknown Track 17 - ? [Squidward riding roller coaster]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob squirts mayo on Krabs' face]
• Zombie Organ Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Ooh, the ghost of mayonnaise bad!"]
• Unknown Track 17 - ? [cotton candy]
• Unknown Goofy Cue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You want to join in all that fun over there with Mr. Squidward, don't ya?"]
• Welcome to Glove World - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs plays carnival games]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [Plankton holds up contract]
• Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr [candy pens]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green ["Me first!"]
‣ Creeping Up [#63] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["This is working far better than I planned."]
‣ House Of Horror - William Merrick Farran ["Mr. Krabs, don't sign it!"]
‣ Agitation Bridge 5 - Phil Green [hologram projector]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Simmy and Tally are holograms?"]
• Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["I was riding that?"]
‣ Terror - Alan Braden [fish skeletons]
• Rip Tide - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["You saved me, boy."]
‣ Everlasting (d) - Gregor Narholz ["The greatest company picnic ever!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- This episode is available on the Krabby Days, SpongeBob Schwammkopf, Staffel 9, Vol. 2, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 16, Complete Ninth Season, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This episode was nominated for an Emmy at the 2016 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Short-format Animated Program.
- The title card background, which uses a red and white checkered pattern in nod to a picnic blanket, is similar to those of "Dying for Pie" and "Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy."
- This is the third episode to use that same red and white checkered background for the title card. The first was "Dying for Pie," and the second was "Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy."
- "Watering down the ketchup" was previously mentioned in "Safe Deposit Krabs."
- This is the only episode in which Barnacle Boy is referenced without Mermaid Man.
- Plankton plays on words for his company picnic, calling it "Chumpany Picnic."
- Plankton's "robots" are named Simmy and Tally, mirroring SpongeBob's characters that he made from meat at the beginning of the episode named Timmy and Sally.
- This is the first episode to credit animatic directors in the opening credits.
- This episode is among the few times Mr. Krabs is willing to work for Plankton due to the false treats and games that Plankton made.
- SpongeBob breaks the fourth wall when he acknowledges that he is moving in slow motion.
- This is the second appearance of a calliope. The first was "Free Samples."
- This is the fourth appearance of a hologram. The first was "The Algae's Always Greener," the second was "Truth or Square," and the third was "One Coarse Meal."
- In the German dub, the title card was mistakenly cut.
- In the Turkish dub, the title card was mistakenly dubbed.
- When Squidward's eye got infected with pickle juice the Galley Grub and Order Here signs are missing.
- The 1946 calendar is false because there is no month in the year 1946 that started on a Tuesday and only had 30 days.
- SpongeBob's lower jaw disappears just before the candy pen goes through Simmy's eye.
- In one scene, the two stuffed walruses tusks are miscolored.
- The hologram machine is not shown until the end of the episode. It should have been seen during Plankton's picnic.
- Holograms can only create images. They are unable to alter objects that already exist.
- Mr. Krabs and Squidward should have been able to taste/smell the trash disguised as toys/food.
- The candy pen disappears when Simmy gets turned back into a trash can.
- Jill Talley is credited as playing Karen. However, Karen is neither seen nor heard in this episode.
- ^ http://prsdube16.blogspot.com/2016/02/nickelodeon-africa-to-premiere-brand.html
- ^ Paul Tibbitt, Twitter post, November 14, 2014, 12:05 a.m., https://web.archive.org/web/20151105150739/https://twitter.com/paultibbitt/status/533168855959339008.
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20160208190715/https://twitter.com/ShermCohen/status/617396079215009792
- ^ https://www.emmys.com/awards/nominees-winners/2016/outstanding-short-format-animated-program
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcalqDbyakU