This article is in need of a better quality video. Please help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by uploading a better video.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Herb (debut)
- Loretta (debut)
- Timmy (debut)
- Sally (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Mrs. Tentacles (cameo in a photo)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Pete (debut)
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Barnacle Boy (mentioned)
- Simmy (debut)
- Tally (debut)
- Kelpy (cameo as a toy)
- Pearl Krabs (cameo as a toy)
- Seahorse toys
- Dolphin toy (debut)
- Walrus toys (debut)
- Beary (cameo on the backboard of the ball toss game)
- Unicorn (debut) (cameo on the backboard of the ball toss game)
- Dinosaur (debut) (cameo on the backboard of the ball toss game)
- Mayonnaise Bad (debut) (mentioned)
- Bug (debut)
- Fish skeletons
- King Neptune (mentioned)
The episode starts at the Krusty Krab, where SpongeBob is playing with patty meat and other ingredients on the grill. Since it is a slow day, he imagines the Krabby Patties coming to life. Tossing around the pickles, one suddenly launches into Squidward's eye, causing him to mistakenly grab the hot sauce and thrust into his eye. Mr. Krabs then extinguishes his eye, and the Krabby Patties SpongeBob had left on the grill. Mr. Krabs is curious as to why SpongeBob isn't working. Since SpongeBob had his Krabby Patties on a picnic, Mr. Krabs decides to throw his own company picnic.Plankton meanwhile spies on the crew through the back window, and gets an idea to throw his own company picnic, too.
This leads to a transition where Mr. Krabs is acting cheap again with the picnic materials and ends up devastating the company picnic. To boost Squidward's sour attitude, Mr. Krabs tries to play games to do so, but Squidward still resents him. Plankton comes by and sets up a more fun company picnic that Squidward and Mr. Krabs soon rushes over to. While Mr. Krabs and Squidward frolic, after SpongeBob accidentally throws the pen used to sign a contract that will make Mr. Krabs work for Plankton, after seeing it go through a robot, he realizes all the content in Plankton's company picnic were holograms, and SpongeBob soon rushes over to stop them from being deceived. The episode ends with Plankton being launched in a plate of mustard and explodes when it hit the land.
The image of a script listed "Dueling Picnics" as a former title. The episode script was written by Jack Pendarvis and the story is by Mr. Lawrence. On an interesting note, Kyle McCulloch is another writer for this episode. Although, this fact wasn't known until the episode was officially released.
In the storyboard version of the scene where Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob talk about going on a company picnic:
- Herb's family is shaped differently than in the final version.
- In the storyboard version, there is one pickle on the image on the pickle jar. In the final version, there are two.
- In the storyboard version, the pickles in the jar are slices. In the final version, they are full pickles.
- In the storyboard version, the calendar next to the pickle jar has more than one ship. In the final version, there is only one ship.
- In the storyboard version, in the bun image, more of the bottom box appears than in the final version, the bottom right drawer is overflowing with buns, and the bottom left drawer has a label. In the final version, less of the bottom box appears than in the storyboard version, the bottom right drawer is not overflowing with buns, and the bottom left drawer does not have a label on it. Also, the barrel and trash can are different in that storyboard version than in the final version.
- In the storyboard version, the ketchup bottles, thee image on them, and the faucet are all different than in the final version.
- In the storyboard version, the hose is wrapped around the holder twice. In the final version, it is wrapped around once.
- Pete looks different in the storyboard version than in the final version.
- The productivity chart ketchup line is a little different in the storyboard version than in the final version.
- When Mr. Krabs says, "No! Not leaving the workplace for pleasure," in the final version, he looks like he did in his previous shot, but in the storyboard version, he does not.
- When Mr. Krabs says, "Gee, SpongeBob, do you think if I threw a picnic, your productivity would increase?," the first image in the storyboard features Mr. Krabs with his left claw up with the pincers pointing up. In the final version, at no point in that period does Mr. Krabs lift his left claw up and have his pincers pointing up.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ SpongeBob History Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [opening at Krusty Krab]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney [pickle flies into Squidward's eye]
‣ Monster Bug (a) - Gregor Narholz [pickle impacts into Squidward's eye]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [Squidward screams]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [Krabs with fire extinguisher]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs sprays Squidward]
‣ An Underwater Conversation - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob's food friends]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey, what's wrong with Pete?"]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - productivity chart
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Hey!"]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - SpongeBob suggests to Mr. Krabs to do a company picnic.
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["See, look!"]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - Krabs considers throwing a company picnic.
‣ Sailor's Sting 27 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs and SpongeBob high five each other]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton spying]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [picnic in Jellyfish Fields]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob makes a toilet paper hat]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - Squidward picks up a mustard packet
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I don't see it anywhere."]
‣ Bumbling (b) - Bernd Gesell [Krabs won't let Squidward leave]
‣ Mermaid Man Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hi, I'm Barnacle Boy!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs and SpongeBob laugh]
‣ Enchanted [#67.02] - Gregor Narholz ["We've learned a little something."]
‣ Everlasting (d) - Gregor Narholz ["...the greatest company picnic ever!"]
‣ ? [bus approaches]
‣ Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Chumpany picnic?"]
‣ Unknown Track 17 - Plankton shows SpongeBob all the activities/A calliope is played.
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward runs past Krabs]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (s) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob zips Krabs' shell]
‣ Unknown Track 17 - Squidward riding roller coaster
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob squirts mayo on Krabs' face]
‣ Zombie Organ Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Ooh, the ghost of mayonnaise bad!"]
‣ Unknown Track 17 - cotton candy
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - "You want to join all that fun over there, don't you?"
‣ Welcome to Glove World - Barry Anthony [Krabs plays carnival games]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [Plankton holds up contract]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr [candy pens]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green ["Me first!"]
‣ Creeping Up 29 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["This is working far better than I planned."]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran ["Mr. Krabs, don't sign it!"]
‣ Agitation Bridge 5 - Phil Green [hologram projector]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Simmy and Tally are holograms?"]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - "I was riding that?"
‣ Terror - Alan Braden [fish skeletons]
‣ Rip Tide - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["You saved me, boy."]
‣ Everlasting (d) - Gregor Narholz ["The greatest company picnic ever!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["All right, enough relaxing. Back to work."]
- This episode is nominated for a 2016 Creative Emmys Award for Outstanding Short Form Animation.
- As of June 21, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.0/10 based on 243 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 6.1/10 based on 31 votes.
- Plankton plays on words for his company picnic, calling it "Chumpany Picnic."
- This is the only episode in which Barnacle Boy is referenced without Mermaid Man.
- This episode is among the few times Mr. Krabs is willing to work for Plankton due to the false treats and games that Plankton made.
- The title card background is similar to those of "Dying for Pie" and "Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy."
- This episode premiered on Mark Hamill's 64th birthday, 16 years after "MuscleBob BuffPants" and "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost" premiered, seven years after Drawn to Life: SpongeBob SquarePants Edition was released in Australia, and three years after the re-release of The Seascape Capers, Friend or Foe?, SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis DVD, SpongeBob's Pest of the West, and SpongeBob vs. The Big One DVDs.
- SpongeBob breaks the fourth wall when he acknowledges that he is moving in slow motion.
- This is the second appearance of a calliope. The first is "Free Samples."
- This is the fourth appearance of a hologram. The first was "The Algae's Always Greener," the second was "Truth or Square," and the third was "One Coarse Meal."
- Plankton's "robots" are named Simmy and Tally, mirroring SpongeBob's characters that he made from meat at the beginning of the episode named Timmy and Sally.
- "Watering down the ketchup" was previously mentioned in "Safe Deposit Krabs."
- The hologram machine is not shown until the end of the episode. It should have been seen during Plankton's picnic.
- Holograms can only create images. They are unable to alter objects that already exist.
- Mr. Krabs and Squidward should have been able to taste/smell the trash disguised as toys/food.
- Jill Talley is credited as playing Karen. However, Karen is neither seen nor heard in this episode.
- The 1946 calendar is false because there is no month in the year 1946 that started on a Tuesday and only had 30 days.
- SpongeBob's lower jaw disappears just before the candy pen goes through Simmy's eye.
- The candy pen disappears when Simmy gets turned back into a trash can.
- In the German dub, the title card was mistakenly cut. However, it got fixed in May 2017.
- Squidward getting hurt.
- ^ Paul Tibbitt, Twitter post, November 14, 2014, 12:05 a.m., https://web.archive.org/web/20151105150739/https://twitter.com/paultibbitt/status/533168855959339008.
- ^ https://twitter.com/ShermCohen/status/617396079215009792
- ^ http://emmys.org/awards/nominees-winners/2016/outstanding-short-format-animated-program
- ^ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4980472/
- ^ http://www.tv.com/shows/spongebob-squarepants/company-picnic-3249537/