- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Squilliam Fancyson (as Squidward's nose)
- Mrs. Puff
- Incidental 116 (cameo)
- Patrick Star (mentioned)
- Unnamed purple doctor (debut)
- Unnamed green doctor (debut)
- Incidental 21 (cameo as doctor)
- Bikini Bottom Marathon Number Seven (debut)
- Catfish (debut)
- Sea chicken (debut)
- Incidental D13 (debut)
The episode begins with Squidward trying to decide which nose he should get because he is going to get a nose job. While caught up in himself, Squidward is interrupted by SpongeBob on his unicycle. Reluctantly, Squidward allows SpongeBob to come with him. SpongeBob lets Squidward ride with him to the hospital.
Squidward goes into his hospital room with SpongeBob closely following. SpongeBob realizes how drab the room is and brightens it up with plushies and flowers. Irritated, Squidward yells at SpongeBob and tells him to go volunteer to be a candy striper. SpongeBob grabs his uniform and eats the literal candy strings on it. A couple of doctors passing by see SpongeBob in his white shirt and mistake him for a doctor and tell him to come along and help them. They bring SpongeBob into a room with a catfish. The catfish tells them in a gravelly voice that his throat hurts. SpongeBob reaches into the fish's neck fold and finds a clump of dirt. He then reaches into the catfish's mouth and pulls out some car keys. SpongeBob then explains how the fish is a bottom feeder and how they probably ate the keys in a search for food, stating that this also happens to his best friend, Patrick, all the time.
SpongeBob is then moved into another room with an athlete with broken legs. The athlete asks if he will be able to run in an upcoming marathon. One doctor begins to say "no," but SpongeBob insists he can fix it. He grabs a nearby skeleton model and shoves it inside of the patient. The patient's legs are healed and he runs out of his room. The two doctors are amazed. As a result, they bring SpongeBob into the final room.
The room contains deflated Mrs. Puff inside of an Iron Lung. SpongeBob mistakes the Lung for a submarine and hops on top of it. He starts pushing and pressing levers and buttons and the Lung streaks down the hallway. It crashes into the end and shoots out a puffed up Puff. She thanks him for helping her recover, but says he still won't get a driver's license.
The doctors are befuddled and allow SpongeBob to perform surgery. The surgery patient ends up being Squidward. SpongeBob tries several different noses but Squidward doesn't like any of them. SpongeBob then reverts his nose back to normal but says he needed the rest of his body to make it, much to Squidward's horror. SpongeBob now has to leave for work, but the doctors tell him that he already is. However, SpongeBob tells them that his actual job is a fry cook, and he walks to the Krusty Krab. Squidward then says to the female nurses that he is on the market and single, much to their disgust and shock.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Opening.]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [Closeup of Squidward's nose.]
• Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob takes Squidward to the hospital.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward's nose covered with garbage.]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Never fear, Squidward."]
• Gator - Steve Belfer [Squidward's bedroom full of things.]
• Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["That's a great idea!"]
‣ Big Ed's March - Sam Spence ["I was born to serve."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (V) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward's bed folds up.]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob in uniform.]
‣ Hide and Seek - Arthur Wilkinson [SpongeBob gets mistaken for a doctor.]
‣ Paper Boy - Harry Lubin ["Catfish are bottom feeders."]
• Soapy Organ - Hiram Titus ["What treatment might you prescribe for this next patient, doctor?"]
‣ Hall of Fame [#1] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob replaces the fish's skeleton.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Sometimes, I just don't have it in me to puff up under my own power."]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green ["I'm a doctor today."]
‣ Adventure Fanfare 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Dive! Up periscope! Load the torpedoes!"]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Iron lung moves forward.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["But you still don't get a driver's license!"]
• Proud to be a Fish - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Wow, I've never seen anyone work an iron lung like that."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (X) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Me? Perform a surgery?"]
‣ Tipsy Turvy - Phil Green ["Oh boy, surgery!"]
• Solo Steel 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward's anesthetic is administered.]
‣ Tipsy Turvy - Phil Green ["Oh, hi everybody!"]
‣ Charivari Clowns (a) - Daniel Jean Jeannin [SpongeBob picks up a spatula.]
‣ Circus Parade (b) - Dick Walter [Doctors cheer.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (XVII) - Jeremy Wakefield [Transition to next scene]
‣ Mutations (c) [#55] - Trevor Duncan ["Okay, SpongeBob, this can't be too hard."]
• Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Aha!"]
• Unknown Track 46 - Nicolas Carr ["Mmm, Sushi."]
‣ Mutations (a) [#53] - Trevor Duncan [SpongeBob pulls out a saw.]
• ? [Rimshot]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone laughs.]
‣ Ta-Ra (c) - Sammy Burdson, John Fiddy [SpongeBob makes a sandwich.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone laughs again.]
‣ ? [SpongeBob pulls handkerchiefs out of Squidward's nose.]
• Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What?"]
‣ Variety Link (d) - Dick Walter [SpongeBob saying "Ta-da!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Everyone cheers]
‣ Desolate Lands - Harry Lubin [SpongeBob sweating.]
‣ Tipsy Turvy - Phil Green [Part of SpongeBob goes back to him.]
• Porous Pursuit - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Short doctor gets stuck in Squidward's nose.]
• Charge - Nicolas Carr [Another doctor catches the short doctor]
‣ Variety Link (d) - Dick Walter [SpongeBob saying "Ta-da!" again]
• A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob finishes operating]
‣ Tympup (b) - Sammy Burdson, John Fiddy ["This isn't even close to what I wanted!"]
• A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Well, why didn't you say so?"]
• Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Montage of Squidward's different noses]
‣ Shock Happening 1 - Harry Lubin ["Stop!"]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I don't want to change my nose anymore!"]
• SpongeBob Theme II - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 17, The Complete Tenth Season, and SpongeBob is a Doctor DVDs.
- Squidward has previously gotten plastic surgery in "The Two Faces of Squidward."
- When SpongeBob comments "Mmm, strawberry!" after eating the candy stripes on his doctor uniform, this is a reference to when he makes the same comment after eating the red lines Squidward draws on the screen in "Lost in Bikini Bottom," and when he makes the same comment when he tastes the ice cream on the ground in "Hall Monitor."
- The "My leg!" gag is referenced in this episode when the Iron Lung crashes into an athlete fish and he screams "My legs!"
- SpongeBob and the doctors are not wearing a mask in the operating room which should be required to prevent the spread of germs.
- In the operating room, a crab on the right hand side looks similar to Mr. Krabs.
- Some of Squidward’s nose changes reference other characters found in and outside the series. These include Charlton Hawkfish, Squilliam Fancyson, Dr. Zoidberg, and Bullwinkle J. Moose.
- This episode is the first usage of "Big Ed's March" since "Best Day Ever."
- This is the first appearance of Squilliam since "Back to the Past," though only his face briefly appears as part of one of Squidward's noses during the nose job montage.
- This is the second episode in which the lung machine is shown. The first is "Funny Pants."
- This is the second episode Mrs. Puff is seen without her wig. The first is "Hall Monitor" where her wig was seen flying off her head twice.
- This is the fourth episode to show blood. The first is "Dying for Pie," the second is "Born to Be Wild," and the third is "House Fancy."
- When SpongeBob enters the operating room, a fish on the left who looks like Incidental 6 has a purple color, but in the following frames, he has the same color and shape as Incidental 6.
- "Variety Link (d)" playing whenever SpongeBob says "Ta-da."
- Squidward saying "no" whenever SpongeBob tries several random nose styles that he doesn't like.