- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail (cameo)
- Snailward (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Grandma Tentacles (debut)
- Jethra (debut)
- Perch Perkins
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 49A
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 46
- Charles (fancy) (green)
- Old Man Jenkins
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 108 (cameo)
- Fancy dandy fish
- Incidental F14
- Fancy fish
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 105
- Orange lady
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 155
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 22
- Other Le Chum Bucket customers
After a long day of work, Squidward begins to contemplate the surroundings of the Krusty Krab, only to find that he thinks it is disgusting, and that it has no doormat. Mr. Krabs, as usual, dismisses his comments as complaints and claims that Squidward would have no true experience on how to run his own restaurant. Squidward then retaliates by saying that if he started a restaurant, people would be waiting for years just to have a taste of his cooking. Mr. Krabs laughs at this statement, as SpongeBob and Squidward depart from the Krusty Krab. Squidward continues his boasting and claims that with his cooking abilities, he can even make the Chum Bucket a success and make people come dine there.
Plankton overhears this statement and rushes out of the Chum Bucket. He tries to grab Squidward's attention by hooking on to Squidward's skin near his scalp. Squidward pries Plankton off and initially refuses his offer, but when Mr. Krabs passes by and flat-out says that he doesn't value him, Squidward accepts. Squidward tells SpongeBob that he is quitting his job at the Krusty Krab and enters the Chum Bucket. SpongeBob is left shocked at this.
Though Squidward immediately jumps to decorating the Chum Bucket, Plankton reminds him that he hired Squidward to cook. Squidward pours a batch of chum into a large container. He claims that he can make even chum edible with his grandmother's secret recipe, yet it will take exactly 24 hours to cook. After 24 hours, Squidward places a plate of the chum on a plate for Plankton. Plankton is not amused at first, since the chum looks the same, but notes that it doesn't smell unpleasant. After tasting it, he claims he loves it.
The chum leads to the opening of a new restaurant using Squidward as the chef and the same structure of the Chum Bucket. The restaurant is called Le Chum Bucket and the chum is called "Chum Fricassee," prepared only by Squidward. Squidward becomes a big hit while the Krusty Krab appears to have no customers. At first, what looks like a customer at the Krusty Krab is later revealed to be a customer from the Le Chum Bucket. He was at the Krusty Krab because the Le Chum Bucket was full of customers. SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs sneak into the Le Chum Bucket as fancy customers, for they assume only fancy people dine there which it is in fact displayed earlier in the episode. Once they gain entry, Mr. Krabs warns SpongeBob that these are classier people and do not raise their voice as SpongeBob does. When they approach the reservation desk with Karen as the reservation seeker, Mr. Krabs makes up a fake alias to gain entry as "Mr. Crumbled O'Wrapper". Karen does not see a reservation for a Mr. Crumbled O'Wrapper, yet she does offer a reservation and seat within 2 years, which angers Mr. Krabs. Squidward enters the scene and reveals SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs' true identities to everyone. He gets revenge on Mr. Krabs for his earlier treatment by taking them to the bathroom, where he places a tablecloth on the toilet rim, making the entire restaurant laugh.
Humiliated, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs leave while Plankton mocks them with his fortune and the pair are left on the side of the street, sobbing. A fish who had ordered take-out chum sees the pair and gives it to them out of pity. SpongeBob takes a bite, and, seeing it is so good, forgets what a Krabby Patty is. Mr. Krabs also takes a bite and decides that they are doomed because of how good it tastes. In Le Chum Bucket, Squidward, who apparently is letting all the fame and fortune go to his head, is signing autographs when he sees a long line of customers and asks Plankton where the next batch of Fricassee is. Plankton reminds him that the chum needs to be cooked for 24 hours and the timer on the cooker says that there is still one hour remaining. Squidward still orders Plankton to serve it to the customers anyway, claiming he doesn't care if the chum isn't ready.
Later on, Squidward's grandmother, Grandma Tentacles, storms into the restaurant, furious at her grandson for cooking her recipe wrong. She uses her walker to smash Squidward's foot several times only for him to lie and say that it was Plankton's idea to serve the undercooked chum. However, Plankton is not having it and takes the blame back at Squidward by reminding him how he told him that he didn't care if the food was ready or not. Squidward admits this, still not seeing the big deal. After smashing Squidward's foot again, Grandma Tentacles explains that if the chum is not properly cooked, it will cause severe stomach problems. This enrages the customers, who are prompted by the elderly female octopus to destroy and burn down Le Chum Bucket in revenge, leaving both Plankton and Squidward in tears. Grandma Tentacles reappears, angrily stating to her scared grandson that she hopes that he learned his lesson about misusing her recipe and stomps in his foot again for his antagonistic acts. Squidward and Plankton cry about their failures.
The episode ends with SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs admiring the events of the destroyed Chum Bucket, Mr. Krabs has learned his lesson and decided to rehire Squidward. He promoted him to be their new doormat, while Squidward is in pain, but is pleased with customers stepping on him.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Jolly Little Roger - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [opening]
‣ Tricks and Traps - James McConnel [Plankton hears Squidward say he could make the Chum Bucket a success]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, I don't know about that."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs walks by]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Don't you think working at the Chum Bucket and the Krusty Krab is a conflict of interest, Squidward?"]
‣ Humorous Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward says there's a trick to making chum edible]
‣ Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr ["This is the secret stuff?"]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [Plankton tastes Squidward's chum fricassee]
‣ City Bustle - Larry Hochman ["This recipe is going to make you a star!"]
‣ Silver Sparkle - Harry Rabinowitz [Flavors of the Bottom]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krusty Krab is empty]
‣ Skipping to Hillbilly School - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Jethra eating chum at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["Time to get to the bottom of this."]
‣ Dream Date - Emil Cadkin, Phillip Green, William Loose [SpongeBob and Krabs in disguise]
‣ Tympup (c) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [toilet]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Bon appetit, suckers!"]
‣ Curtain-Raiser - Alan Braden [one week later...]
• Silly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Are you not seeing the line of people out there?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs cries]
• Salt Water Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Please, sir, take my chum."]
‣ Shop-O-Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Squidward serving fricassee]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [Grandma Tentacles at the door]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["Someone's been cooking my recipe... and they're doing it wrong!"]
‣ Muscovite Rebellion - David Arnold, Paul Hart [customers destroying the Chum Bucket]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (m) - Jeremy Wakefield ["My restaurant!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I've hope you learned your lesson, genius!"]
• Salty Squid Jig - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton [ending]
- This episode was paired up with "Move It or Lose It" when it first premiered, but since it has re-airing with "Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go!"
- Irony: Mr. Krabs' past bad treatment to Squidward catches up to him as the latter gets revenge by humiliating him. Also, Plankton is able to mock Mr. Krabs by making profits for his business.
- This episode marks the third time people can tolerate eating chum. The first is "Chum Bucket Supreme“ and the second is “Chum Caverns.”
- However, this is the first episode where the chum is edible.
- This episode marks the second time SpongeBob eats chum. The first is in "Chum Bucket Supreme."
- This is the second time a toilet is shown inside of the Chum Bucket. The first was "Buried in Time."
- This is the third episode where a character works for Plankton. The first was SpongeBob in "Welcome to the Chum Bucket," and the second was Patrick in "Chum Bucket Supreme."
- This is the fourth episode where Squidward quits working at the Krusty Krab. The first is "Bossy Boots," the second is "Can You Spare a Dime?," and the third is "Krusty Towers" (even though it was a hotel, it still counts as the Krusty Krab).
- This is the last regular 11-minute episode to ever premiere in 480i standard-definition full screen, but in production order, "Hello Bikini Bottom!" is the final episode to be produced in 480i standard-definition full screen.
- When SpongeBob and Squidward are walking from the Krusty Krab (with Plankton spying on them) SpongeBob's legs is briefly detach from his body.
- When Mr. Krabs is watching the news, Plankton is not on the microphone, but when it swipes to Plankton, he suddenly appears.
- When the people laughing at SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs (looking all sad) and the camera pans to Old Man Jenkins, a glass of water is outside of the table, floating in front of his torso.
- The "Le" in "Le Chum Bucket" disappears two times on the outside of the restaurant (seen three times).
- There is a long line of customers at Le Chum Bucket, but when Grandma Tentacles comes in, the line is gone.
- The Krusty Krab across the street disappears in the scene with Grandma Tentacles outside the Chum Bucket.
- When Grandma Tentacles tells Squidward that the chum needs to be cooked for exactly 24 hours, the right side of her mouth is gone.
- When Grandma Tentacles tells the fancy people to "tear him apart" her nose becomes a bit bigger and losses the outline for a split second.
- TV listings for this episode do not provide a description.
- Mr. Krabs telling Squidward he doesn't value him.
- Squidward or Plankton humiliating Mr. Krabs.
- Grandma Tentacles smashing Squidward's foot with her walker.