- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail (cameo)
- Snailward (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Grandma Tentacles (debut)
- Jethra (name revealed)
- Perch Perkins
- Fancy guy (green)
- Fancy dandy fish
- Incidental F6
- Incidental F1 (orange)
- Incidental 63
- Incidental F14
- Incidental F4
- Incidental F18
- Incidental 30A
- Incidental 106
- Incidental F9
- Incidental F19
- Incidental F3
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 49A
- Incidental 114
- Incidental F11
- Incidental F12
- Incidental 108
- Incidental F17
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 45
- Old Man Walker
- Incidental F5
- Incidental F8
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 152
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 30
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 150
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 21
- Incidental 155
- Incidental 67
- Other Le Chum Bucket customers
After a long day of work, SpongeBob is shown upset about clocking out and ends up leaving before doing so. Squidward clocks them both out and begins to contemplate the surroundings of the Krusty Krab, only to find that he thinks it is disgusting, and that it has no doormat. Mr. Krabs, as usual, dismisses his comments as complaints and claims that Squidward would have no true experience on how to run his own restaurant. Squidward then retaliates by saying that if he started a restaurant, people would be waiting for years just to have a taste of his cooking. Mr. Krabs laughs at this statement as SpongeBob and Squidward depart from the Krusty Krab. Squidward continues his boasting and claims that with his cooking abilities, he can even make the Chum Bucket a success and make people come dine there.
Plankton overhears this statement and rushes out of the Chum Bucket. He tries to grab Squidward's attention by hooking on to Squidward's skin near his scalp. Squidward pries Plankton off and initially refuses his offer, but when Mr. Krabs passes by and flat-out says that he does not value him, Squidward accepts. Squidward tells SpongeBob that he is quitting his job at the Krusty Krab and enters the Chum Bucket. SpongeBob is left shocked at this.
Though Squidward immediately jumps to decorating the Chum Bucket, Plankton reminds him that he hired Squidward to cook. Squidward pours a batch of chum into a large container. He claims that he can make even chum edible with his grandmother's secret recipe, yet it will take exactly 24 hours to cook. After 24 hours, Squidward places a plate of the chum on a plate for Plankton. Plankton is not amused at first, since the chum looks the same, but notes that it does not smell unpleasant. After tasting it, he claims he loves it.
The chum leads to the opening of a new restaurant using Squidward as the chef and the same structure of the Chum Bucket. The restaurant is called Le Chum Bucket and the chum is called "Chum Fricassee," prepared only by Squidward. Squidward becomes a big hit while the Krusty Krab appears to have no customers. At first, what looks like a customer at the Krusty Krab is later revealed to be a customer from the Le Chum Bucket. He was at the Krusty Krab because the Le Chum Bucket was full of customers. SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs sneak into the Le Chum Bucket as fancy customers, as they assume only fancy people dine there. Once they gain entry, Mr. Krabs warns SpongeBob that these are classier people and do not raise their voice as SpongeBob does. When they approach the reservation desk with Karen as the reservation seeker, Mr. Krabs makes up a fake alias to gain entry as "Mr. Crumbled O'Wrapper." Karen does not see a reservation for a Sir Crumbled O'Wrapper, yet she does offer a reservation and seat within two years, which angers Mr. Krabs. Squidward enters the scene and annoyingly asks Karen what the problem is, but after seeing SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs in disguises, he fans their moustaches and reveals their true identities to everyone. He gets revenge on Mr. Krabs for his earlier treatment by taking them to the bathroom, where he places a tablecloth on the toilet rim, calling them suckers and gives them "Bon Appetite," in a very sarcastic tone, making the entire restaurant laugh at them.
Humiliated and miserable, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs leave while Plankton mocks them with his fortune and the pair are left on the side of the street, with Mr. Krabs sobbing and SpongeBob comforting him. Meanwhile, in Le Chum Bucket, Squidward is signing autographs when he sees a long line of customers and asks Plankton where the next batch of Fricassee is. Plankton reminds him that the chum needs to be cooked for 24 hours, and the timer on the cooker says that there is still one hour remaining. Squidward simply declares that he does not care if the chum is not ready and orders Plankton to serve it to the customers anyway. Back outside, a fish who had ordered take-out chum sees SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs and gives it to them out of pity. SpongeBob tries some of it, and, seeing it tastes so good, forgets what a Krabby Patty is. Mr. Krabs also takes a bite and decides that they are doomed because of how delicious it tastes and bawls in misery.
The success of Le Chum Bucket eventually gets to Squidward's grandmother, Grandma Tentacles, much to her dismay. She is enraged at Squidward for cooking the recipe incorrectly, using her walker to smash Squidward's foot several times. Squidward lies and say that it was Plankton's idea to serve the undercooked chum. However, Plankton is not having it and throws the blame back at Squidward by reminding him how he told him that he did not care if the food was ready or not. Squidward admits this, still not seeing the big deal. After smashing Squidward's foot again, Grandma Tentacles explains that if the chum is not properly cooked for exactly 24 hours, it will cause severe stomach issues. This enrages the customers, who are prompted by Grandma Tentacles to destroy and burn down Le Chum Bucket in retributions, leaving both Plankton and Squidward devastated. Grandma Tentacles reappears, angrily stating to her scared grandson that she hopes that he learned his lesson about misusing her recipe and stomps in his foot again for his wrongful acts. Squidward and Plankton cry over their failures in pain and despair.
SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs admire the events of the destroyed Chum Bucket. Mr. Krabs has learned his lesson and decides to rehire Squidward. He promotes him to be their new doormat, while Squidward is in pain, but is pleased with customers stepping on him, ending the episode.
- Mr. Krabs telling Squidward he does not value him.
- Squidward and Plankton humiliating Mr. Krabs.
- Grandma Tentacles smashing Squidward's foot with her walker.
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Salty Squid Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, James King [title card]
• Jolly Little Roger - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [opening]
‣ Tricks and Traps - James McConnel [Plankton hears Squidward say he could make the Chum Bucket a success]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, I don't know about that."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1A - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs walks by]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Don't you think working at the Chum Bucket and the Krusty Krab is a conflict of interest, Squidward?"]
• Humorous Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward says there's a trick to making chum edible]
• Down in Davey Jones Locker - Nicolas Carr ["This is the secret stuff?"]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [Plankton tastes Squidward's chum fricassee]
‣ City Bustle - Larry Hochman ["This recipe is going to make you a star!"]
‣ Silver Sparkle - Harry Rabinowitz [Flavors of the Bottom]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 12 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krusty Krab is empty]
• Skipping to Hillbilly School - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Jethra eating chum at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Dramatic Impact (6) - Ivor Slaney ["Time to get to the bottom of this."]
‣ Dream Date - Emil Cadkin, Phillip Green, William Loose [SpongeBob and Krabs in disguise]
‣ Tympup C - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [toilet]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 8A - Jeremy Wakefield ["Bon appetit, suckers!"]
‣ Starlight Revue - Alan Braden [one week later...]
• Goofy Conversation Continued - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Are you not seeing the line of people out there?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 13B - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs cries]
• Salt Water Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Please, sir, take my chum."]
• Shop O Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Squidward serving fricassee]
‣ Dramatic Impact (3) - Ivor Slaney [Grandma Tentacles at the door]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["Someone's been cooking my recipe... and they're doing it wrong!"]
‣ Muscovite Rebellion - David Arnold, Paul Hart [customers destroying the Chum Bucket]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 18B - Jeremy Wakefield ["My restaurant!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 2B - Jeremy Wakefield ["I've hope you learned your lesson, genius!"]
• Salty Squid Jig - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton [ending]
- This episode is available on SpongeBob, You're Fired!, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 14, The Complete Eighth Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This episode was paired up with "Move It or Lose It" when it first premiered, but has since been re-airing with "Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go!"
- Irony: Mr. Krabs' past bad treatment to Squidward catches up to him as the latter gets revenge by humiliating him. Also, Plankton is able to mock Mr. Krabs by making profits for his business.
- This episode marks the third time characters can tolerate eating chum. The first was "Chum Bucket Supreme," and the second was "Chum Caverns."
- However, this is the first episode where the chum is edible.
- This episode marks the second time SpongeBob eats chum. The first was in "Chum Bucket Supreme."
- This is the second episode where a toilet is shown inside of the Chum Bucket. The first was "Buried in Time."
- This is the third episode where a character works for Plankton. The first was SpongeBob in "Welcome to the Chum Bucket," and the second was Patrick in "Chum Bucket Supreme."
- This is the fourth episode where Squidward quits working at the Krusty Krab. The first was "Bossy Boots," the second was "Can You Spare a Dime?," and the third was "Krusty Towers" (even though it was a hotel, it still counts as the Krusty Krab).
- In airing order, this is the last regular 11-minute episode to ever premiere in 480i standard-definition full screen, but in production order, "Hello Bikini Bottom!" is the final episode to be produced in 480i standard-definition full screen.
- The "One Week Later..." time card was later used in the Danger Force episode "Power Problems, Part 2."
- When SpongeBob and Squidward are walking from the Krusty Krab (with Plankton spying on them) SpongeBob's legs are briefly detached from his body.
- When Mr. Krabs is watching the news, Plankton is not on the microphone, but when it swipes to Plankton, he suddenly appears.
- When the people laughing at SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs (looking all sad) and the camera pans to Old Man Jenkins, a glass of water is outside of the table, floating in front of his torso.
- The "Le" in "Le Chum Bucket" disappears two times on the outside of the restaurant (seen three times).
- There is a long line of customers at Le Chum Bucket, but when Grandma Tentacles comes in, the line is gone.
- The Krusty Krab across the street disappears in the scene with Grandma Tentacles outside the Chum Bucket.
- When Grandma Tentacles tells Squidward that the chum needs to be cooked for exactly 24 hours, the right side of her mouth is gone.
- When Grandma Tentacles tells the fancy people to "tear him apart," her nose becomes a bit bigger.
- Also, the outline of her nose is gone.