- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 73
- Patrick Star
- French Narrator
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 64
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 152
- Incidental 21
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Goofy Goober (mentioned)
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 92 (normal; orange)
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 150
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 82
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 15
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 93
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 11
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 153
- Incidental 3
- Green construction worker (debut)
- Bikini Bottom Hockey Team
- Other Chum Bucket customers
The episode starts out when two customers park at the Chum Bucket. Plankton thinks they want to eat there, but they were parked there because they couldn't find parking at the Krusty Krab. Karen then suggests that Plankton should advertise his product. Plankton then hangs a sign that reads "CHUM IS METABOLIC FUEL!" Patrick comes along and tries to read the sign, but his head starts smoking from the strain of trying to understand what these new words are. After his head is put out by a cup of kelp juice, Patrick then rearranges the letters, so the sign reads "CHUM IS FUM!" The new slogan starts to attract customers. Plankton hires Patrick as his slogan manager.
Meanwhile, back at the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs believes Plankton has stolen the secret formula, so he comes up with a plan to steal the recipe back. Plankton sees through SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs' disguise, and they realize that it was the slogan that brought in the customers, despite the fact the chum tastes awful. To combat the disgusting taste of the chum, the customers simply say "Chum is Fum" over and over. Then Plankton goes to Patrick to check on how his assignment to come up with new slogan ideas is going. However, all Patrick does is write Chum is Fum in a thousand different ways. Plankton then gets mad at Patrick but cools down because Patrick's slogan is still attracting customers.
A few days later, people are getting bored with the slogan, so Plankton and Patrick hold a board meeting. Patrick comes up with a new motto three days later, changing it to "FUM IS CHUM".
This new slogan brings back Plankton's customers, much to the chagrin of Mr. Krabs. Business is so large that Plankton gets into the restaurant magazines and even a hockey team shows up to eat. Patrick then decides to resign from his position as advertising director because he is "burnt out" - there is a hole burned into the back of his head. Plankton protests, but then bluffs to make Patrick believe that he is disposable, and not necessarily to keep customers eating at the Chum Bucket. During his rant, Plankton accidentally insults his customers over the intercom that he had installed by the cash register earlier to taunt Mr. Krabs. His customers hear him calling them "buffoons, morons, the dumbest of the dumb" among other things, which causes all of his customers to abandon their chum in anger. Plankton then gets beaten up by the hockey team. In the end, everybody sees Patrick finishing a sign with the Krusty Krab's new slogan, "Krabby Patties are fum!" and everybody returns to the Krusty Krab.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Chumbucket Rhumba - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Customers? What customers?"]
‣ Background Blues - Otto Sieben ["Hello, gentlemen, and welcome to the Chum Bucket!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [line of customers at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Plankton's angry]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [Plankton tears up his menu]
‣ Drama Link (o) - Hubert Clifford ["We're doomed, Karen. Doomed, I tell you!"]
• Harp! - Nicolas Carr ["Advertising?"]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Karen sighs]
• Steel Licks 29 - Jeremy Wakefield [Chum Is Metabolic Fuel!]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [Patrick appears]
• Silly Bob Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick struggling to read the sign]
• Flashback - Nicolas Carr [zoom inside of Patrick's brain]
• Horror House of Wax Retro 2 - Nicolas Carr, Ron Wasserman [inside Patrick's brain]
• Flashback - Nicolas Carr [zoom outside of Patrick's brain]
• Silly Bob Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick's head on fire]
• Steel Licks 20 - Jeremy Wakefield [a few minutes later...]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [A little longer than a few minutes later...]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Chum Is Fum!]
• Steel Licks 25 - Jeremy Wakefield ["That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!"]
‣ Puffing Along - Harry Bluestone [sign attracts customers]
• Salty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [meanwhile at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Danger HQ - Norman Dane [Krabs looks across the street]
‣ Battle March Link (a) - Keith Mansfield ["SpongeBob, we have a situation."]
‣ Chasey Racey - Norman Dane [situation alert]
‣ Tough Mission - David Farnon [Krabs thinks Plankton stole the formula]
‣ Tricks and Traps - James McConnel [SpongeBob and Krabs in disguise/SpongeBob and Krabs enter the Chum Bucket after two hours]
• Carrol Chimes - Nicolas Carr [suspicious door]
‣ Tricks and Traps - James McConnel [SpongeBob and Krabs approach the door]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen ["I'm full, thanks."]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [explosion]
‣ Puffing Along - Harry Bluestone [customers eating chum and puking]
• Steel Licks 15 - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton laughs]
‣ Dachshund Walk - John Fox, Mac Prindy ["What brilliant slogans have you come up with this week, Patrick?"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs cries]
• Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You don't need help when you got a catchy slogan like mine."]
• Comedic Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [board meeting]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [three days later]
‣ Puffing Along - Harry Bluestone [Fum Is Chum]
• Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr ["Nothing can stop me now!"]
‣ Circus Overture - Daniel Jean Jeannin [montage of Plankton's success]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick resigns]
• Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton gets beat up]
• Kalua Jubalee - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabby Patties Are Fum!]
- This episode is available on the Triton's Revenge, Big Hits: Volume 1, Triple Pack 2, Welcome Aboard, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, Kids Double Pack: Volume 5, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 10, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Season 6 Volume 2, Complete Sixth Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- "Chum Bucket Supreme" was ranked #57 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- Plankton claims he has never met Patrick in this episode, but in other episodes before this one, he has met him and worked for him.
- There is an online game based on this episode called Chum is Fum. In the game, the player makes the customers eat the Chumsticks.
- Goofy Goober's is mentioned in this episode.
- This is the second episode where a character works for Plankton. The first was SpongeBob in "Welcome to the Chum Bucket."
- This is the second episode in which Patrick helps to advertise for a restaurant in Bikini Bottom. The first was "No Hat for Pat" and the next one is "The Good Krabby Name."
- This episode is, however, the only one in which he helps to advertise for the Chum Bucket.
- Karen wears a hairnet even though she does not have any hair.
- When the hockey players first hear Plankton talking about his customers in a bad way, there are five of them. However, when they are about to attack Plankton with their hockey sticks, there are only four of them.
- The fifth hockey player may have decided not to attack Plankton.
- The hockey player speaks with a Canadian accent.
- This episode marks the 100th appearance of Incidental 40.
- This episode is one of the few where the Chum Bucket starts to attract customers, and Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob try to steal them back, along with "Plankton's Regular" and "Greasy Buffoons."
- The "3 Days Later" time card looks just like the "Driven to Tears" title card, except the tire tracks are missing.
- The title card is similar to the one for "Krabby Road."
- In the Indonesian dub, the first Krusty Krab scene which briefly features Squidward was skipped to for time savings reason.
- In the Russian dub, when SpongeBob says "Goofy Goober has gone non-dairy?!," it is translated as "a French chef has boiled Gary?!"
- The title card music is part of the instrumental version of "Oh, My Karen," which debuts in this episode's sister episode, "Single Cell Anniversary."
- At the beginning of the episode, Plankton dances in a similar fashion to Dead Eye Plankton.
- During the original American airing, this episode was paired with "Growth Spout."
- Plankton mentions the episode's title when he says "Here's your Chum Bucket Supreme, enjoy!"
- In Patty Hype, Patrick states that he can't see his forehead, however, in this episode, he is able to do it.
- When Mr. Krabs looks out from his office, there are only two customers, but when he says they have a situation to SpongeBob, there are no customers at the tables.
- Frank has a red shirt when he approaches the counter after the Chum Bucket has a new slogan. The next shot when it zooms to the register, his shirt is blue.
- The same error occurs in "Free Samples," but is pink.
- When Patrick is first seen putting up the sign for the Krusty Krab, the hole in the back of his head does not appear. When Patrick appears for the last time, the hole is now on at the back of his head.
- When Plankton stomps on the ripped paper in anger, his head is still messed up. However, in the next shot when Plankton yells about how he is tired of the Krusty Krab stealing his customers, his head is suddenly fixed.
- At the end of the episode, when Patrick finishes the point in the exclamation mark in "KRABBY PATTIES ARE FUM!," the ladder he is stepping on is shorter, and he is below the sign. In the next scene, automatically, the ladder is longer, and he is next to the sign.
- When Plankton goes through the Box of Letters, the front door to the Chum Bucket is missing.
- At the end of the episode, when SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs are in the front of the Krusty Krab, the Chum Bucket cannot be seen.
- In TV airings, when Mr. Krabs says "A few hours ago, the Chum Bucket was, as it should be, a desolate no-man's land," "bucket" is muted.