"Christmas Who?" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from . In this episode, .
"Christmas Who?" is a 20 minute SpongeBob SquarePants special from season two.
Brief summary: SpongeBob introduces Bikini Bottom to Christmas.
Characters: (SpongeBob segment)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- French Narrator
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sandy Cheeks
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sadie Rechid
- Bikini Bottomites
- Santa Claus
Characters: (Patchy segment)
- SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song (Christmas version)
- The Very First Christmas
- Santa's Coming Tonight
- SpongeBob SquarePants Christmas
- SpongeBob SquarePants Season 2
- Nick Picks Holiday
In Encino, California, the French Narrator introduces the president of the SpongeBob SquarePants fan club, Patchy the Pirate, a live-action character who is currently preparing for Christmas, and his "friend", Potty the Parrot, a crudely made puppet with very obvious strings. Patchy receives a fan letter from a person whose name and address is withheld, asking if SpongeBob likes Christmas as much as he does. Patchy explains that they didn't always celebrate Christmas in Bikini Bottom, and decides to show how they were introduced to it, beginning the episode proper.
At Sandy's treedome, Sandy is putting up Christmas lights. SpongeBob, who is in his karate gear and preparing to attack her, mistakes it for a fire, and rushes inside, throwing water onto it. Sandy asks him what he was doing, and SpongeBob replies he believed there was a fire. Sandy is shocked that SpongeBob has never heard of Christmas, and tells him all about it.
Later, at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob tells his friends about Christmas. Everyone believes him, except Squidward, put their Christmas wishes into bottles, which are then shot up to the surface so Santa can read it. In the days leading up to Christmas, the people of Bikini Bottom heartily celebrate, and on Christmas Eve, stand in front of the large decorated coral tree and sing, eagerly awaiting the arrival of Santa Claus. Meanwhile, Squidward, refusing to believe in Christmas, is wanting no part of it. The people continue to sing until morning, when Santa has failed to arrive. Everyone leaves and SpongeBob becomes very depressed. Squidward appears, laughing at his humiliation, and takes a photo of the heartbroken SpongeBob. As he sulks away, he gives Squidward a present. Squidward, now feeling sorry for SpongeBob, opens it, and finds a handmade driftwood clarinet.
He now realizes that he is a "big jerk", dresses up as Santa much to the delight of SpongeBob. SpongeBob thanks "Santa" for bringing Christmas to Bikini Bottom, and Squidward tells him that he did. SpongeBob passes out from joy, and Gary carries him home. Squidward prepares to take the costume off, but is confronted by a little girl, asking him for a present. SpongeBob suddenly appears beside her, assuring her that he will. Out of desperation, Squidward gives the child a wrench from his house. He then sees a crowd of people, who want their gifts as well, and ends up giving away everything he owns.
Afterwards, Squidward finds a message from Santa on his doorstep, thanking him for his help and telling him that he's been a "good boy". He then sees the real Santa Claus (seen as a live action character) riding away in his sleigh. The dumbfounded Squidward says "Yep. I'm insane." and goes back inside, playing his new clarinet.
After the SpongeBob episode ends, Patchy's house is seen again. Potty gives Patchy a little present. Patchy steps under a mistletoe, hoping to be kissed by a woman, only for Potty to start chasing after him with the intention of kissing him. Seeing that Patchy is busy at the moment, the French Narrator says "Goodnight, and Happy Holidays." for Patchy.
- The picture of Santa SpongeBob shows to Mr. Krabs, Patrick, and Squidward is the official Santa for Coca-Cola. Coca-Cola played a large part in popularizing the modern image of Santa Claus, and is sometimes erroneously claimed to have invented it.
- The little girl's wish for front teeth is a reference on Tiny Tim's "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth" song.
- The eggs Patchy was given are the exact same eggs Yoshi uses in Yoshi's Island.
- The Santa Claus outfit that Squidward wore is the exact same thing as the Grinch wore with the no pants part. The other part of the outfit is the long white beard is the exact same as the one Jack Skellington used on his Santa Claus outfit in "The Nightmare Before Christmas".
- SpongeBob tells stories of Christmas and Santa Claus, and bringing Christmas to Bikini Bottom, just like Jack Skellington did in The Nightmare Before Christmas.
- Like other holiday specials, this episode typically only airs on TV around December.
- When Squidward is laughing at and insulting SpongeBob, a picture of a donkey appears in front of him, along with the sound of a donkey's bray. This implies that Squidward was being a "jackass". The picture appears again right before he says "big jerk".
- During the song, when SpongeBob and Patrick are decorating Squidward's house, and Squidward tells them to take it down immediately, SpongeBob's pineapple is not visible, even though it is right next to Squidward's house.
- During the December 4, 2006 showing of "Christmas Who," the closed caption text reads "Insert Sample Caption Text Here" during the beginning of the show.
- On the Season Two DVD, Patchy's line at the beginning of the second half of the show, "It's about time you got back! Now I can finish me story," is cut due to there being no commercials on the DVD.
- In "The Secret Box", Patrick's secret is revealed to be "That embarrassing snapshot of SpongeBob at the Christmas party". Presumably, this is the picture that Squidward took of a heartbroken SpongeBob after Santa failed to arrive.
- When Squidward (in a Santa suit) is talking to SpongeBob, his tentacles are only outlines.
- Sandy would have been in hibernation or move south for the winter(Bubble Buddy) during Christmas time, but she didn't do either. However, she makes no further appearances in the episode after the first scene, but in real life squirrels don't hibernate or move south. (Sandy might have woken up from hibernation to celebrate Christmas before going to sleep again.)
- Squidward actually plays the clarinet well when he plays his new clarinet at the end of the episode.
- Although Santa traditionally has eight reindeer, only four are seen.
- Out of Encino, it had a dark blue sky. But when the 3 bells rang, it was a light blue.
- When Spongebob gave Patrick his second or third sheet of paper his shoes are green.
- In the episode Jellyfishing when Squidward cam home Patrick yelled Merry Christmas, but he did not know what Christmas was until this episode.
APM Music Identification
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas - "And now, direct from Encino, America's favorite pirate and president of the SpongeBob SquarePants Fan Club, Patchy the Pirate."
- Santa's on His Way - The first appearance of Patchy.
- Festive Medley - "It's time to open fan letters!"
- Jingle Bells (Hawaiian version) - Title card; SpongeBob tells Squidward, Patrick, and Mr. Krabs all about Christmas; "Squidward! You missed him!"
- Dramatic Cue D - "FIRE!"; "Wait! Squidward hasn't written his letter yet!"
- Dramatic Cue C - SpongeBob saves Sandy from the Fire
- Jingle Bells (d) - "Ain't you never seen a Christmas tree before?"
- Sugar Plum Fairy 59 - Sandy tells SpongeBob all about Christmas while Patchy narrates.
- Sleigh-Ride - "Patrick, I designed this mechanism specifically to shoot bottles to the surface."
- Christmas Morning - End of Act One; Beginning of Act Two.
- Hawaiian Link A - "I hope he can read Portuguese."
- Deck the Halls - SpongeBob tries to write Squidward's letter to Santa Claus for him.
- Tomfoolery - Squidward mocks SpongeBob on Christmas morning.
- Yuletide Medley - Squidward opens his present from SpongeBob.
- Kamakani (b) - (sleigh bells added) SpongeBob takes down his Christmas decorations from his pineapple.
- Joy to the World - Squidward appears as Santa Claus.
- Deck the Halls (Hawaiian version) - Santa Squidward looks in his house for something to give a little girl.
- Russian Dance - Montage of Santa Squidward giving gifts to everyone in Bikini Bottom.
- Jingle Bell Swing - Santa Claus waves to Squidward, wishing him a Merry Christmas.
- Happy Christmas Medley - Final scene with Patchy.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|