Date: December 23–25
Characters: (SpongeBob segment)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sandy Cheeks
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Gary the Snail
- Suzy Fish
- Sheldon (fish citizen)
- Ralph Frank
- Martha Smith
- Nathiel Waters
- Bikini Bottomites
- Santa Claus
Characters: (Patchy segment)
- Potty's puppeteer
- SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song (Christmas version)
- The Very First Christmas
- Santa's Coming Tonight
- The Complete 2nd Season
- Nick Picks Holiday
- The First 100 Episodes (episode 28)
- 10 Happiest Moments
PlotIn Encino, California, the French Narrator introduces the president of the SpongeBob SquarePants fan club, Patchy the Pirate, a live-action character who is currently preparing for Christmas, and his "friend", Potty the Parrot, a crudely made puppet with very obvious strings. Patchy receives a fan letter from a person whose name and address is withheld, asking if SpongeBob likes Christmas as much as he does. Patchy explains that they didn't always celebrate Christmas in Bikini Bottom, and decides to show how they were introduced to it, beginning the episode proper. At Sandy's treedome, Sandy is putting up Christmas lights. SpongeBob, who is in his karate gear and preparing to attack her, mistakes it for a fire, and rushes inside, throwing water onto it. Sandy asks him what he was doing, and SpongeBob replies he believed there was a fire. Sandy is shocked that SpongeBob has never heard of Christmas, and tells him all about it. Later, at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob tells his friends about Christmas. Everyone believes him, and everyone, except Squidward, puts their Christmas wishes into bottles, which are then shot up to the surface so Santa can read it. In the days leading up to Christmas, the people of Bikini Bottom heartily celebrate, and on Christmas Eve, stand in front of the large decorated coral tree and sing, eagerly awaiting the arrival of Santa . Meanwhile, Squidward, refusing to believe in Christmas, is wanting no part of it. The people continue to sing until morning, when Santa has failed to arrive (which was much to SpongeBob's dismay). Everyone leaves and SpongeBob becomes very depressed. Squidward appears, laughing and scoffing at his humiliation, and takes a photo of the heartbroken SpongeBob. As he sulks away, he gives Squidward a present. Squidward, now feeling sorry for SpongeBob, opens it, and finds a handmade driftwood clarinet. He now realizes that he is a "big jerk", dresses up as Santa much to the delight of SpongeBob. SpongeBob thanks "Santa" for bringing Christmas to Bikini Bottom, and Squidward tells him that he did. SpongeBob passes out from joy, and Gary carries him home. Squidward prepares to take the costume off, but is confronted by a little girl, asking him for a present. SpongeBob suddenly appears beside her, assuring her that he will. Out of desperation, Squidward gives the child a wrench from his house. He then sees a crowd of people, who want their gifts as well, and ends up giving away everything he owns. Afterwards, Squidward finds a message from Santa on his doorstep, thanking him for his help and telling him that he's been a "good boy". He then sees the real Santa Claus (seen as a live action character) riding away in his sleigh. The dumbfounded Squidward says "Yep. I'm insane." and goes back inside, playing his new clarinet. After the SpongeBob episode ends, Patchy's house is seen again. Potty gives Patchy a little present. Patchy steps under a mistletoe, hoping to be kissed by a woman, only for Potty to start chasing after him with the intention of kissing him. Seeing that Patchy is busy at the moment, the French Narrator says "Goodnight, and Happy Holidays." for Patchy.
- Netflix calls this, "Patchy The Pirate presents the SpongeBob SquarePants Christmas Special".
- When Squidward feels guilty for bullying SpongeBob, he says "I feel like a..." and a picture of a donkey appears. This is a subliminal message that Squidward feels like a "jackass." A similar instance of this joke being used is in "Fools in April."
- This is the second time Squidward feels guilty about bullying SpongeBob and apologizes to him. The first was "Fools in April."
- On the Season Two DVD, Patchy's line at the beginning of the second half of the show, "It's about time you got back! Now I can finish me story," is cut due to there being no commercials on the DVD.
- In the episode "Jellyfishing" when Squidward came home Patrick yelled "Merry Christmas", but he did not know what Christmas was until this episode. This proves that "Jellyfishing" took place after this episode.
- Cutting down a tree in someone else's yard, for Christmas or not is against the law, as it is destruction of private property.
- Patchy is making SpongeBob and Patrick go to Christmas Island, a real territory of Australia.
- Nat potrays a women during "The very first christmas" sequence.
- In this episode, one fish said I hope he can read Portuguese. But it is unknown if he was heard speaking that language from Portugal.
- This is the first episode to show Patrick with his one tooth (when he says "just like a genie"). Patrick's single tooth would later appear in more episodes, heavily used in the post-season 5 episodes.
- In the Brazilian dubbing, the quote "I hope he can read Portuguese" was changed to "I hope he can understand my calligraphy", because Portuguese is the language spoken in Brazil.
- Harold's Shirt and Speedos change from their normal White and Red colors, to Black in different scenes.
- The title is a reduction on the holiday film Santa Who?.
- This is the second time Squidward hints to viewers that he feels like a jackass (subliminally) since this is a 'kids' show it is bad to say controversial words, that is unless they are censored like they were in Sailor Mouth. The reason Santa didn't come to Bikini Bottom is because the citizens didn't go to sleep, Santa only comes when you're asleep.
- If Squidward saw Santa on his sleigh at the end, how could Santa breathe if he's under water? This could be why Bikini Bottom never heard about Christmas except for Sandy since she is a land animal.
- At the beginning of this episode, at the opening, Painty has a wreath around him.
- And, instead of him singing the opening, a female chorus sings the SpongeBob opening. Also, the logo card was changed to the Christmas title card since this is a Christmas special.
- SpongeBob and Patrick dont know Christmas in this episode, however, in "The Secret Box", Patrick hides an embarassing photo of SpongeBob at a Christmas party. A possible reason for this is because of this episode taking place before "The Secret Box."
- The Embarassing Snapshot of SpongeBob at the Christmas Party from the episode Secret Box is the picture that Squidward took in this episode.
- It is unknown how Squidward got a Santa Suit, as Christmas was only introduced the day before, and Squidward wanted nothing to do with Christmas.
- Its unkown why Plankton throw the fruit cake that Mr. Krabs give to him at the song maybe its a trap or poisonous.
- This is the first time where jellyfish is used like fireflies.
- Although Santa traditionally has eight reindeer, nine counting roudolph, only four are seen or possibly the other four are next to the four seen.
- When SpongeBob gave Patrick his second sheet of paper, his shoes are green and you can see his shoes are through-seen to the floor.
- At first, Patrick was on the coral tree but when it was daytime, he wasn't there anymore. Patrick must have fallen off the tree.
- Sandy was seen putting up Christmas lights at the beginning of the episode, even though she hibernates in winter. Though proved in Bubble Buddy, Sandy does hibernate during Bikini Bottom's spring, so when it was winter in Bikini Bottom, it was still fall for Sandy, therefore it was not time for Sandy to hibernate.
APM Music Identification (includes Christmas music)
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas - "And now, direct from Encino, America's favorite pirate and president of the SpongeBob SquarePants Fan Club, Patchy the Pirate."
- Santa's on His Way - The first appearance of Patchy.
- Festive Medley - "It's time to open fan letters!"
- Jingle Bells (Hawaiian version) - Title card; SpongeBob tells Squidward, Patrick, and Mr. Krabs all about Christmas; "Squidward! You missed him!"
- Dramatic Cue D - "FIRE!"; "Wait! Squidward hasn't written his letter yet!"
- Dramatic Cue C (debut) - SpongeBob saves Sandy from the "Fire"
- Jingle Bells (d) - "Ain't you never seen a Christmas tree before?"
- Sugar Plum Fairy 59 - Sandy tells SpongeBob all about Christmas while Patchy narrates.
- Sleigh-Ride - "Patrick, I designed this mechanism specifically to shoot bottles to the surface."
- Christmas Morning - End of Act One; Beginning of Act Two.
- Hawaiian Link A - "I hope he can read Portuguese."
- Deck the Halls - SpongeBob tries to write Squidward's letter to Santa Claus for him.
- Tomfoolery - Squidward mocks SpongeBob on Christmas morning.
- Yuletide Medley - Squidward opens his present from SpongeBob.
- Kamakani (b) - (sleigh bells added) SpongeBob takes down his Christmas decorations from his pineapple.
- Joy to the World - Squidward appears as Santa Claus.
- Deck the Halls (Hawaiian version) - Santa Squidward looks in his house for something to give a little girl.
- Russian Dance - Montage of Santa Squidward giving gifts to everyone in Bikini Bottom.
- Jingle Bell Swing - Santa Claus waves to Squidward, wishing him a Merry Christmas.
- Happy Christmas Medley - Final scene with Patchy.