- Patrick Star
- Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick Star (debut)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Incidental 154
- Goofy Goober (mentioned)
- Squidward Tentacles (heard only)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Peanut (debut)
- Fully Automated Nutcracker (debut)
- Alternate-Universe SpongeBob
- Manta Ray (debut)
- Dr. Marmalade (debut)
- Lord Reginald (debut)
- Professor Percy (debut)
- Bus driver
The Chimpanzee beneficiaries of Sandy's undersea treedome are paying a visit to see what progress she has made with her inventions, but Sandy doesn't think any of her work will satisfy the chimps, and if they don't like what she's invented, Sandy could lose her funding, forcing her to leave Bikini Bottom. SpongeBob and Patrick decide to help their distraught friend by taking over her work and finishing her inventions for her.
At first, Patrick has ideas of things that have already been invented, such as a pencil and a mirror, which ironically is actually a parallel universe. After hours of hard work, SpongeBob and Patrick invent a back-scratching, hair-combing, nose-picking ukulele-tuner.
When the chimps arrive, Lord Reginald is the first to test it. Shockingly, the invention works, but has kinks as it feeds him pudding and when tuning the ukulele, the machine malfunctions, hits Reginald with the ukulele, slaps him, then starts attacking him with all sorts of weapons.
Meanwhile, Sandy hears the screaming of Reginald and arrives just as the machine spits out Reginald. The chimps decide to close down the treedome, but when Dr. Marmalade holds out a banana, Sandy's "nutcracker" peels it for him. It is revealed that this is an invention that Chimps have been searching hundreds of years for. They chatter excitedly and decide to let Sandy stay for 20 more years, including a higher salary.
After the chimps leave, Patrick decides to test out the machine that injured Reginald, which, of course, malfunctions on him, yet he still yells out "Alright!"
- Patrick wants people to call him "Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Intro Fanfare - Raymond C. Jones [Goofy Goober backscratcher]
• Revelation - Nicolas Carr [choir]
‣ Sweet Perfume - Joe Sherman [SpongeBob scratching his back]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, sorry."]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield ["To Squidward's house!"]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["To Sandy's house!"]
‣ Lurching Monster [#4] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [broken inventions]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["None of my inventions are any good."]
‣ Martial Links - Sam Fonteyn [SpongeBob talking to a peanut]
• Plankton Surrenders - Nicolas Carr [peanut ground up]
‣ Busy Life - Cedric King-Palmer [Sandy's nutcracker]
‣ Domestic Fun (b) - Ernest Tomlinson ["I can't even make a simple nutcracker."]
‣ Sweet Perfume - Joe Sherman [Patrick scratching his back]
‣ O Makalapua (b) - Kapono Beamer ["Oh, it's no use, SpongeBob."]
• Marlin March - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick's "inventions"]
◦ So Long, Bikini Bottom - Luke Brookshier, Peter Strauss
‣ Power Plant - Cecil Milner [SpongeBob and Patrick working on an invention]
• Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Sandy's bosses arrive]
‣ Proud Fanfare - David Farnon [SpongeBob and Patrick's invention revealed]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["This is where our research money went?"]
• Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Step right up!"]
• Ukulele Incident - Nicolas Carr [Machine tunes ukulele]
• Tension Bit - Nicolas Carr [machine malfunctions]
• Solo Steel 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [bus pulls up]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney ["What in tarnation?"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer [Sandy gasps]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Lord Reginald, are you all right?"]
‣ South Pacific Island II - Victor Cavini ["I'm sorry, Sandy."]
‣ Busy Life - Cedric King-Palmer [nutcracker peels bananas]
‣ Hall of Fame [#4] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Oh! It is!"]
‣ Hall of Fame [#9] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["It is! It's the banana peeler we have been searching 117 years for!"]
• Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on Whale of a Birthday, Season 4 Volume 2, First 100 Episodes, Triple Pack 1, Big Hits: Volume 1, The Ultimate Box Set, The Super Celebrations, Really Big Box Set, The SpongeBob Birthday Box, Double DVD Fun, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, 2-Season TV Pack, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes, Two for One with Nickelodeon! Volume 2, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 6, SpookTacular, From the Beginning, Pt.2, Sportingly Sandy, The Third & Fourth Seasons, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, and Complete Fourth Season DVDs.
- The back scratcher that SpongeBob buys at the beginning of the episode costs him 52 box tops.
- This is the first episode to have actual land mammals in it besides Sandy, Mermaid Man, and Barnacle Boy.
- This is the first episode to reference the Goofy Goober franchise outside of the first movie.
- This episode is the second time that Sandy sings a song that upsets SpongeBob and Patrick. The first time is in "Texas."
- This episode is a sequel of ''Texas.''
- If this episode took place on the day it premiered, Sandy will be able to remain in Bikini Bottom for more years, before her next expiration on May 5, 2026.
- Based on the comparative size of SpongeBob and Patrick when compared to the humans depicted in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, the chimps depicted in this episode would only be 2-3 inches tall.
- The chimps have been searching for the banana-peeling nutcracker since 1889.
- The things holding SpongeBob's invention together:
- Screws driven into bottle caps
- Pieces of tape made into an X
- A taped-down lollipop
- Chewed-up bubble gum
- The towns for those that have nowhere else to go, as mentioned by the bus driver, in which the bus makes stops to:
- SpongeBob's invention is called the "Automatic Back Scratcher, Hair Comber, Nose Picker, and Ukulele Tuner 9000."
- The peanut SpongeBob talks to says, "It's dark in here."
- The inventions Patrick thinks of:
- Pencil: a stick that can be used to draw or write stuff with
- Light bulb: a glass ball that lights up so the user can see in the dark
- Mirror: a parallel universe
- In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick's water helmets are worn with the openings facing up, the same as how they are shown in the episode "Tea at the Treedome."
- The list of items shown when "The Automatic Back-Scratcher, Hair-Comber, Nose-Picker, and Ukulele-Tuner 9000" goes haywire include:
- An electric saw with a circular blade
- A flamethrower
- A pair of scissors
- A corkscrew
- An aerial poison dart
- A taser
- Inventions the chimps have been searching for many years:
- Banana peeler
- Poop thrower
- The chimps exclaimed they searched 117 years for a banana peeler, so they should be older than that, making them the oldest mammals in the show.
- When Sandy sings the "birds that fly upon the ground" line, a manta ray swims by, releasing a bird call. This is strange because most birds are depicted as scallops.
- In Sandy's song, string squeaks can be heard camouflaged in the background of her music. Although in "Texas," one can hear that the guitar strumming sounds distorted, so the string squeaks cannot be heard.
- SpongeBob's reflection has a Russian accent.
- In Greek, this episode is called "Έρχονται οι πίθηκοι," which means "The apes are coming."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Majmunska Posla," translating to "Monkey Works."
- This episode marks the first usage of the tracks "Goofy Conversation" and "Marlin March."
- In the season 4 DVD this episode is on volume 2 while its sister episode is in volume 1.
- Right near the end of the episode, if you listen closely as the chimps leave and say "Goodbye!," one of them is heard singing the line.
- This episode title is a parody of Chips Ahoy!, a popular cookie brand.
- The monkeys on the title card resemble the Hasbro toy Barrel of Monkeys.
- When SpongeBob looks in the mirror, he is wearing his water helmet. However, in the mirror, it is gone.
- In the closing credits to this episode, Christopher Ryan, who played Professor Percy, is uncredited.
- If one were to look at Sandy playing her guitar, they will see she is playing with her left hand. However, in other episodes, such as "Band Geeks," she plays with her right.
- When the machine spits out Lord Reginald, he is bald from the accident. However, when Professor Percy says to invent the Poop Thrower, Lord Reginald's hair is all grown back.
- In the beginning of the episode, Sandy says that the chimps are coming that afternoon. When SpongeBob and Patrick want to help, they work all night, and the chimps come the next day.
- The phrase on SpongeBob's invention reads "Dr. Professor Patrick Rulez!" However, the invention was finished before Patrick started calling himself "Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick."