- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Gary's collar (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Handsome Squidward (cameo in a painting)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Patrick Star
- Sea bear (cameo in picture)
- Master Marty (debut)
- Casting director (purple)
- Bikini Bottomites
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 10
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 82
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 22
- Raymond (debut)
The episode begins with SpongeBob trying to do things for Gary, but has trouble, as Gary cannot tell him what he wants. SpongeBob sees that he can buy a chatterbox collar for Gary in a magazine, so he orders one and the package arrives immediately.
SpongeBob starts asking Gary a couple questions now that he can talk, and afterwards shows several of his friends that Gary is able to talk now. However, when SpongeBob shows Gary to Squidward, he mocks Squidward on many of the things he does. Because of this, Squidward goes into SpongeBob's house at night and makes Gary's collar an irritation to SpongeBob so he will remove it from him.
Squidward takes out Gary's collar and puts on another collar in which he can talk through using a walkie-talkie. After a while of making SpongeBob do tasks due to Squidward making Gary supposedly ask him for tasks, he stops doing so when SpongeBob has moved his house faraway.
Unfortunately, SpongeBob's house rolls down the hill he put it in, causing it to roll down Bikini Bottom. After a while, SpongeBob's house falls down an extremely steep cliff, making SpongeBob homeless. Back at where SpongeBob's house used to be, SpongeBob is crying immensely. Gary finds out that Squidward has caused all of this, and throws his collar into Squidward's mouth. The episode ends with Squidward only being able to meow and getting beaten up by worms, while SpongeBob's house rolls back into position.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
• Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [The opening]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Gary points to the magazine.]
‣ Bobmatisme - Achille Alberto Scotti [SpongeBob orders translation collar for Gary.]
‣ World of Fantasy - Gregor Narholz [The collar starts translating what Gary says.]
‣ Rainbow Delights - Magnum Opus ["I dream I'm flying above it all."]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor Narholz [Gary throws fire through his mouth to Bikini Bottom.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 24A - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey, if you're gonna dream, dream big, right?"]
• Monster Surf Party - Nicolas Carr [The hot rod shell is shown.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 6C - Jeremy Wakefield ["How do I look in these pants?"]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob shows Patrick that Gary can talk.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 5E - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick licks his hand.]
• Rip Tide - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob shows Sandy that Gary can talk.]
• TV Bodhisattva - Nicolas Carr [Squidward meditates.]
• Silly Bob Conversation 1 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob shows Squidward that Gary can talk.]
• Harpsichord Classical Bits - Barry Anthony [Squidward shows Gary his art gallery.]
• Fooling Around 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Gary criticizes Squidward's art.]
• TV Bodhisattva - Nicolas Carr [Gary sees the meditation video.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 38 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Come, Papa Bob. Let's get out of here before this bad taste rubs off on us."]
• TV Bodhisattva - Nicolas Carr [Meditation video again.]
• Oh My Neptune! - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, I will...!"]
• Solo Steel 2 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Gary go to sleep.]
• Sneaky Panther Pants - Nicolas Carr [Squidward replaces Gary's collar.]
• The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Gary orders SpongeBob water and to go to the park.]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
• The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Gary return from the park.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 18D - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob moves his house a block away.]
• Breathing Underwater Short - Nicolas Carr ["You're right, Gary. The view is nicer over here."]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's house rolls away down the road.]
‣ Invasion - Alfred Ralston [SpongeBob almost falls off the cliff.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 22B - Jeremy Wakefield ["Uff... That was close, huh, Gary?"]
‣ Invasion - Alfred Ralston [SpongeBob's house rolls off the cliff.]
‣ Drama Link (F) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob's house rolls away.]
• M'Wanna - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries.]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Gary throws Squidward's walkie-talkie to his throat.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 36D - Jeremy Wakefield [Gary meows.]
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's house comes back.]
• Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [The ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 18, The Complete Eleventh Season, and Chatterbox Gary DVDs.
- This is the second episode to feature an African-American voice actor. The first was "Kenny the Cat."
- The artwork on the wall references the episodes "Not Normal," "Gone," "Squid's Visit," "A Friendly Game," "Bubble Buddy Returns," "Out of the Picture," "Unreal Estate," and "The Two Faces of Squidward."
- This is the first episode to use "Clownfish Capers" as the title card music since "Patrick-Man!"
- SpongeBob's secret personal diary from "Little Yellow Book" reappears in this episode. However, said diary is recolored in this episode.
- This episode's title card would later be used for a future episode from season 12, "Gary's Got Legs."
- The nicknames Gary gives the main characters are:
- Papa Bob (SpongeBob)
- Stinky Man (Patrick)
- Hairy Astronaut Lady (Sandy)
- Grouchy Man (Squidward)
- This episode reunites Tom Kenny and Keith David as they were previously casting together in the TBS animated series Final Space.
- Squidward's band uniform from "Band Geeks" reappears in his closet.
- It is unknown what happened to the collar after Squidward switched it.
- The 'Handsome Squidward' face from "The Two Faces of Squidward" makes an appearance in this episode.
- On the description of the The Complete Eleventh Season, it claims that "Hear Gary speaks for the first time," but the first time he actually spoke was in "Sleepy Time."
- Irony: SpongeBob should have noticed the walkie talkie on the fake collar.
- The Chatterbox translation collar activates whenever Gary meows, but when Squidward is speaking through the knockoff collar, Gary does not meow.
- When Squidward meditates, the wrinkles on his head are gone.
- When Squidward climbs down SpongeBob's house, the rake is not there.