- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Cephalopod Lodge members (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Cantankerous Moray Eelius (debut)
- Dog (mentioned)
- Feather buddies (mentioned)
- Giant Albino eel (mentioned)
- French Narrator
While working, SpongeBob notices that Squidward is actually smiling one day at the Krusty Krab, so he and Patrick decide to spy on him and see why he is so happy. That night, SpongeBob and Patrick follow Squidward to a strange lodge, in which SpongeBob and Patrick intrude into. Squidward puts on a robe and performs handshakes with the other members of the Cephalopod Lodge, all of whom are cephalopods.
When SpongeBob and Patrick decide to join in on the festivities, the lodge members hold Squidward accountable for allowing two non-cephalopods into the lodge. They then choose to ban Squidward for life. SpongeBob and Patrick attempt to apologize to the lodge entrance guard, but this fails when Patrick says it is the guard's fault for allowing them to enter in. The two then decide to start their own lodge and invite Squidward. SpongeBob and Patrick proceed to capture Squidward and force him to have their lodge "initiation," where a jellyfish is put onto the members' tongue and proceeds to sting the tongue.
Returning to Squidward's house, SpongeBob and Patrick start their own club and call it "The Feather Friends," much to the annoyance of Squidward, who begs that he wants to be allowed back into the Cephalopod Lodge. SpongeBob and Patrick decide they want to help Squidward. They come up with a plan to dress up in a giant sock in an effort to resemble a Morray Eel, the nemesis of the lodge members, so that they can scare the lodge members while Squidward "saves" them.
Their plan works, and Squidward is allowed back in. However, when SpongeBob and Patrick take off the sock and reveal themselves to give their congratulations, Squidward is once again kicked out of the lodge. SpongeBob and Patrick decide to go back to the "their lodge" idea, but first, they need to redo the "initiation" on Squidward. Patrick pulls out a jellyfish and it stings Squidward on the tongue. Squidward screams in pain and the episode ends.
- Squidward getting kicked out of the Cephalopod Lodge.
- Patrick forcing Squidward to join their lodge.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• SpongeBob Theme II - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward smiling]
‣ Drama Link (C) - Hubert Clifford ["Squidward, are you okay?"]
‣ From The Dead - Ronald Hanmer ["Mr. Krabs!"]
• Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob wonders why Squidward is happy]
• Sneaky Panther Pants - Nicolas Carr [camouflage outfits]
‣ Visiting Royalty - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Squidward at the lodge]
‣ Pyramids Of Egypt - Gregor F. Narholz ["For centuries, cephalopods have had but one nemesis."]
‣ Entry Of The Heroes D - Gregor F. Narholz [eel in cage]
‣ March To Battle - Laurie Johnson [initiation]
‣ Roman Legion - David Farnon [everyone cheers]
‣ Dramatic Impact (3) - Ivor Slaney [everyone gasps]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares [everyone is angry at Squidward]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward and SpongeBob are kicked out]
‣ Hawaiian Link (B) - Richard Myhill ["I can't believe it."]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Do we get to join the lodge?"]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick is kicked out]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward's robes removed]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Squidward's underwear removed]
• Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Don't you worry, Squidward."]
‣ Visiting Royalty - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["What is it?"]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [SpongeBob explains]
• Blue Tide - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward is sad]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["That's it!"]
‣ Gala Premiere - Laurie Johnson ["We'll make our own club!"]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [Squidward goes home]
• Wind Chime with Sitar Gliss Tunes - Nicolas Carr [secret handshake]
• Toy Piano 2 with Scratches End - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Patty cake, patty cake, sailor man..."]
• Flextone Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Our pinkies."]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Out!"]
• Goofy Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward reading]
• Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob kidnaps Squidward]
• Another Goofy Cue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [initiation]
• Unknown Hawaiian Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward's swollen tongue]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What's this?"]
‣ Visiting Royalty - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["My lodge robes!"]
‣ Turkey in the Straw 3 - Stephen Wade, Saul Broudy, Samuel Morgan, Zan Mc Leod [chicken outfits]
‣ Civil War March - Larry Hochman [first meeting of The Feather Friends]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Somebody already had Feather Buddies."]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward is angry]
‣ Whisper From The Past [#64.02] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob promises to get Squidward back into the lodge]
• Steel Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield ["A sock?"]
• Bubble Popping Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob explains his plan]
• Military Threat - Nicolas Carr ["Time to break out the heavy artillery."]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [giant sock]
• Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [at the lodge]
‣ Death And Destruction 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob and Patrick scaring everyone]
‣ Nato Meeting - Gerhard Trede [Squidward is let back into the lodge]
• 12th Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- The episode is available on the Viking-Sized Adventures, Season 6 Volume 2, Complete Sixth Season, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, Big Hits: Volume 1, Triple Pack 2, Kids Double Pack: Volume 5, Kids Double Pack: Volume 7, Time Travel, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob's Legendary Adventures, Glumly Squidward, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 9, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This episode was paired up with a rerun of "Slide Whistle Stooges," but since it has re-airing with "Grandpappy the Pirate."
- The episode is part of the first three episodes of an event called the "SpongeBob Triple Play." It is also the highest viewed episode in the event.
- It is mentioned that Squidward is in this mood only on the third Wednesday of each month.
- If this episode premiered a day later than it did in the U.S., the airdate would have been the third Wednesday of that month, February of 2009.
- Since "cephalopods" are species of squid and octopus, it is unknown if all of the people in the Cephalopod Lodge are all squid, all octopus, or are both.
- The initiation into the lodge involves being electrocuted by a moray eel, when, in reality, moray eels do not generate electricity.
- If Squidward had not talked to SpongeBob and Patrick, he would have still been in the club.
- It is revealed that SpongeBob was dropped on his head as a baby.
- It is mentioned that according to the lodge leader, the enemies of cephalopods are sponges and starfish, which is why Squidward gets mad every time SpongeBob and Patrick show up, especially at the lodge.
- It appears that Patrick would have been able to join, but he did not want to since it had nothing to offer him.
- Patrick was right that it was Roger's fault since he was not watching for intruders.
- Technically, it was SpongeBob and Patrick's fault, as they followed Squidward to the lodge, kicking him out.
- SpongeBob's stupidity is shown once again when Patrick points out the obvious and SpongeBob denies it. He also breaks in to Squidward's house even though he kicked them out and forces Squidward to join their group by kidnapping him.
- In this episode, Patrick was smart about the sock that SpongeBob talked about.
- This is the third time in the series that more than one of Squidward's kind is shown, the first is in "Squidville" and the second is in "Ditchin'."
- In "Squidville," all the cephalopods look like Squidward. However, in this episode, there were different types. There may be different breeds or even species.
- On the November 6, 2009 airing, this episode was paired up with "BlackJack."
- Brother Roger's name is a reference to Squidward's voice actor, Rodger Bumpass.
- The initiation ritual and secret nature of the Cephalopod Lodge is similar to that of the Masons. The Lodge's appearance (a pyramid with an eye, which also appears on the robes) is very similar to the All-Seeing Eye, which is often mistakenly considered an Illuminati symbol. This is also the only episode where a parody of freemasonry is shown.
- This episode is quite very similar to The Simpsons episode "Homer the Great", because Homer and Squidward are banned of the lodge forever.
- When Roger was talking to Squidward in the Krusty Krab, he is green. However, when he is at the Cephalopod Lodge, he is blue.
- This might be explained by the fact that it was night instead of day in the later scene.
- At the end of this episode, Squidward's tongue getting zapped by a jellyfish is cut on all Nicktoons broadcasts, the Amazon Prime Video version, and the Paramount+ streaming release. This is due to the screen fading to black when this happens. Despite this unusual edit, all Nickelodeon USA/Nick@Nite broadcasts and the DVD releases retain the scene.
- When Squidward sneaks out of his house, Patrick's house disappears.
- When Squidward is putting back on his shirt, his underwear is still on. However, this was right after Roger ripped off his underwear. It disappears when Squidward is wearing his shirt.
- When Squidward is in his house the next morning (after his tongue got shocked by the jellyfish), his tongue sticks out on the left side and it's covered in three jellyfish stings but when he opens his door, his tongue is normal for the rest of the scene.
- When Squidward rips off the feather friends’ suit, the feet are still on, but when they zoom in and then out again, the feet are gone.
- After SpongeBob and Patrick, inside the giant tube sock, tell Squidward "Just give us 5 minutes and then do your stuff," when they exit the scene, SpongeBob's footsteps can be heard, although, Patrick was the one walking and SpongeBob was on top of inside the sock.
- When Squidward first enters the lodge, he enters a large room, but when he saves them from the "eel," it is some kind of corridor.
- When Squidward, SpongeBob, and Patrick get kicked out, one could hear Squidward screaming, but his mouth is closed.
- When Squidward's tongue was shocked in the end, Squidward is completely still and frozen.
- SpongeBob and Patrick's secret club handshake has them play patty-cake without using their pinkies; however, when they demonstrate the handshake to Squidward, you can clearly see their pinkies touch each other.