- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Mrs. Puff
- Larry the Lobster
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Pearl Krabs (mentioned)
- Patrick Star
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Gary the Snail
- Incidental 29
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 114
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 153
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 82
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 21
- Fire fish
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 9
- Old Man Jenkins (blue)
- Old Man Walker
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 40
- Green fish (looks a lot like Administrator Flotsam)
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 106
- Truck driver (Marlin) (yellow)
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 18
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 81
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 15
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 10
- Officer Slugfish
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 67
- Bubble Mrs. Puff (debut)
- Bikini Bottomites
The episode starts with SpongeBob recklessly driving. He suddenly thinks of blowing bubbles to relax after getting stressed. It soon backfires when the distraction of said bubbles causes his boat to eventually crash. Mrs. Puff loses her temper and she harshly yells at SpongeBob that he is hopeless at getting a driver's license and he walks off sad. He then sees Larry, Mr. Krabs, and Patrick have their own boats. He only gets sadder each time he sees his friends with a boat.
He sits behind his house blowing bubbles. He wishes that he'd be as good as driving boats as he would for blowing bubbles. Suddenly, he has the idea of blowing a bubble boat to drive in. Everyone is pleased with the new boat type. A policeman notices and says that every vehicle requires a license, but SpongeBob replies that no license is required for driving a bubble. The policeman then agrees. SpongeBob gets home to tell Gary all the good news on his new bubble boat experience, though Gary just ignores him.
Soon, everyone is desperately wanting bubble boats, so SpongeBob gets a giant container of bubble mix into a tub. Afterward, SpongeBob makes a bubble boat for everyone.
Meanwhile, Mrs. Puff notices everyone has a bubble boat. She is trying to drive home with her normal boat, but this angers many of the bubble boat drivers, as well as the police towing away her normal boat. Puff then has to go to Bubble Boating School, a temporary boating school run by SpongeBob.
At Bubble Boating School, SpongeBob teaches Mrs. Puff about how to drive a bubble boat. She eventually understands how to ride a bubble boat, after going through mastering multiple dangerous obstacle courses. She then does her final test, the final test being on the real road.
During her final bubble-boating test, she is happily talking to SpongeBob about the bubble boats but soon gets distracted and goes to the highway instead of continuing on the small roads. She ends up crashing, leading her to involuntarily expand, which makes her cause further mayhem to the bubble boaters. SpongeBob ends up saving all of them just in time.
Soon the police come to tell everyone, including SpongeBob, that bubble boats are now outlawed and normal boats have been re-legalized. SpongeBob then tells Mrs. Puff that he will see her again at boating school the next day. At the end of the episode, Mrs. Puff expands and sighs before she pops herself.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Opening/Drivers crash into SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff's boat.]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob gets sad.]
• Surf N Sponge featuring Mongo Bongo - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Larry showing off his boat.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob walks away sad.]
‣ Put 'em on the Boat - Steve Belfer [Krabs washing his boat.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (II) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries and runs off.]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob sees Patrick with a boat.]
• Salt Water Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob blowing bubbles behind his house.]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea.]
‣ Fun Ahead - Eric Swan [SpongeBob driving a bubble boat.]
‣ A Christmas Suite - Richard Harvey [SpongeBob telling Gary about his day.]
• 12th Street Rag Revisited - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [People asking SpongeBob for bubble boats.]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["I want to strike fear into the hearts of other drivers!"]
‣ Primitive Force - Raymond Jones [Terrifying bubble boat.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob shrinks the bubble boat.]
‣ Primitive Force - Raymond Jones [Plankton gets into the bubble boat.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield [Larry steps on Plankton.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
‣ Surf Happy Fun (Underscore) - Billy Lincoln [SpongeBob blows a giant bubble boat for Larry.]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob blows multiple bubble boats.]
• M'Wanna - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Now that everyone's driving bubbles, they don't need licenses."]
‣ Town and Around - Richard Telford [Mrs. Puff driving.]
‣ Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr [Cop pulls Mrs. Puff over.]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["Bubble boating school?"]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob is the teacher of the bubble boating school.]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [SpongeBob giving Mrs. Puff bubble boating lessons through the obstacle course.]
‣ Bloodbath - Harry Lubin [Bubble boat crashes against flaming cacti.]
‣ Bold as Brass 29 - Mel Dean [Mrs. Puff drives the bubble boat through the obstacle course again.]
‣ Grand Spectacular (c) - Ron Goodwin ["I did it!"]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor F. Narholz [Mrs. Puff groans.]
‣ Fun Ahead - Eric Swan [Mrs. Puff drives the bubble boat onto the road.]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney ["Oh no, Mrs. Puff!"]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Mrs. Puff accidentally drives onto the freeway.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Wash? Soap? Bubbles?"]
‣ Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr [Bubble boats are outlawed.]
• Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 17, The Complete Tenth Season, and Bubble Boats DVDs.
- There was a 1-hour countdown before the premiere of this episode and "Life Insurance." It was confirmed on the official SpongeBob Facebook page.
- The songs heard during the countdown were "Sky Drive," "Bonus Point," "Street Cop," and "Electronic Sheep" by Charles Hedger, and "Keep This Going" by Jon Murrill, Lee Richardson, Tom Ford, James Carlo Giorgi Cocozza and Sarah Jane Norman.
- The firetruck resembles an actual fire truck rather than a boat as it does in other episodes (such as "Snail Mail").
- Mr. Krabs twerking while washing his car has become a popular internet meme.
- The music that plays on the radio when Mr. Krabs is cleaning his boat has a vague similarity to the "SpongeBob Closing Theme."
- SpongeBob says, "You don't need a license to drive a bubble" when he gets pulled over, which is a call-back to his line "You don't need a license to drive a sandwich" from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- When SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff enter the highway, the billboard advertising Barnacle Chips from "Chocolate with Nuts" can be seen.
- Mrs. Puff inflates a total of five times, more than any other episode so far.
- This is the first episode to play "12th Street Rag Revisited" since "Blackened Sponge."
- This is the second time that Mrs. Puff's name is crossed out on the boating school sign. The first is "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired."
- This is the last episode produced before many Associated Production Music tracks (including those composed by Harry Bluestone/Emil Cadkin, Phil Green, Harry Lubin, Brian Peters, and Larry Hochman) were moved to Warner/Chappell Production Music (CPM), which, due to the fact that Nickelodeon currently has yet to pay a license to use tracks from this website, renders them unusable in future episodes. In production order, this was the last episode to use any music of this kind until "ChefBob."
- In this case, the last now-CPM track used before it got moved was Bloodbath by Harry Lubin.
- To date, this is the last time that the APM track "Hawaiian Cocktail" plays.
- This episode was paired with "Krusty Kleaners" during the SpongeBob Code-Catcher Challenge marathon.
- This episode may be a reference to the electric car dominating the auto industry.
- The tow truck's cab appears to be similar to a Peterbilt 357 model.
- In the French dub, the title card text disappears for a split second.
- When the boats go past the bubble pile and get close to SpongeBob's boat, his eyelashes are missing.
- When SpongeBob blows bubbles to the Bikini Bottomites, the building nearby changes positions.
- Spongebob failing boating test.
- Mrs. Puff blowing up.
- The screen flashing when Plankton appears in close-up.