- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Peterson Nat Tucker
- Daydream Nat
- Daydream Dale
- Frankie Billy
- Daydream Frankie Billy
- Fred (blue)
- Daydream Fred
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Daydream Ivy
- Norma Rechid
- Fish on the Plate
- Plate guy (debut)
- French Narrator
- Patrick Star
- Bikini Bottom Construction Company
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Abigail (light blue fish)
- Daydream Abigail (light blue fish)
- Daydream Gus
- Daydream Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Daydream Norma's daughter
- Daydream Monroe Timmy Billy
- Daydream Sadie
- Daydream Shubie
- Daydream Susie Rechid
- Daydream Tina Fran
- Daydream Nazz-Mimi
- Truck driver
- Man Ray (cameo on Man Ray Style cover)
- Nathiel Waters
- Future Bikini Bottomites
- Squidward Followers
- Karen Plankton
- Don the Whale
The episode starts at the Krusty Krab when SpongeBob realizes they are out of tartar sauce, but when he checks the vat, he realizes it is empty and it has been there for 50 years. When Mr. Krabs yells at him to get back to work, SpongeBob explains the situation. Mr. Krabs gets an idea to start a time capsule.
The next scene shows the tartar sauce vat next to a hole with a large stage next to it. A huge line of people are in line to make contributions to the time capsule by handing things in, and Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob and Squidward to handle them while he sells souvenirs. It shows several people making contributions, which Squidward critiques, but SpongeBob finds everything amazing. Mr. Krabs sells cheap souvenirs for outrageous prices. Patrick comes to make a donation of his favorite rock. Believing that this item is too ridiculous for a time capsule, Squidward tries to seize the break from Patrick. The struggle makes the rock fly in the air and it puts the wood behind him, flinging Squidward, SpongeBob, and Patrick into the time capsule, trapping them in and burying them alive. Mr. Krabs puts a copy of the Krabby Patty secret formula in the capsule, making Plankton interested.
In the time capsule, the three of them imagine what the future would be like until Squidward gets knocked out. Patrick then finds shaving cream which he mistakes for whipped cream, so he tastes it and finds it awful. Plankton drills into the capsule, hitting the shaving cream that sprays Patrick, which gives him a beard and Patrick sprays SpongeBob and Squidward. Squidward wakes up, thinking it has been 50 years due to the beard, and escapes through the hole Plankton created. The "future" is not what Squidward wanted, so he goes back to the time capsule, unknowingly stepping on the formula bottle on his way back, shoving it inside Plankton.
The episode ends with Plankton at the Chum Bucket constipated with his body shaped like a bottle and him sitting on a toilet, trying to get it out. Karen calls him "poopsy" and Plankton asks for more prunes.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
• Steel Licks 37 - Jeremy Wakefield [giant tartar sauce bucket]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [it's empty]
‣ Monocle and Pocket-Watch - Brian Gulland ["I thought I'd never see the day."]
‣ The Oracle - David Farnon [Choir/"Trash? Oh, but, Mr. Krabs, this should be in a museum for future generations to enjoy."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Future generations, huh?"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 27 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [time capsule spectacular]
‣ Proud to be a Fish - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [someone donates a toaster]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob throws it into the time capsule]
‣ Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs selling souvenirs]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [someone donates a lamp]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
‣ Boring Morning - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [someone donates a plate]
‣ Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr ["A four-striped sock! Incredible!"]
‣ Unknown Hawaiian Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [2 hours later]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick appears]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["I've allowed some seriously ridiculous items today, but this is where I draw the line."]
• Steel Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield ["All right, Rocky, you're going bye-bye now."]
‣ Ascending Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward fall into the time capsule]
• Steel Licks 10 - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick finds a yo-yo]
‣ Tricks and Traps - James McConnel ["Ugh! Curse that Krabs and his cheering crowds!"]
‣ Variety Link (d) - Dick Stephen Walter [Krabs holds up the Krabby Patty formula]
‣ Tricks and Traps - James McConnel [Plankton's eye bugs out]
‣ Scherzo Phrenia - Gregor F. Narholz [time capsule is buried]
‣ Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward trying to get out]
‣ Tripping Upstairs - Brian Peters [everyone cheers]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton laughs evilly]
‣ Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr ["What should we do for the next 50 years?"]
‣ Evil Mind 8 - Dick de Benedictis [SpongeBob says they're trapped]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Pretzel Pals]
‣ ? [SpongeBob imagines what the future will be like]
‣ Broadway Dazzle - Peter Dennis [Patrick imagines the future]
‣ In Ancient Times (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [Squidward imagines the future]
‣ Sword Fight - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Plankton drilling underground]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Squidward knocked out]
• What the Huh Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Ready or not, here we..."]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Nice try, Squidward."]
• Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Whipped cream!"]
• Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward climbs out of the time capsule]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward goes back underground]
‣ Chief Taravana - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- When this episode premiered, it was paired with "Shellback Shenanigans."
- The title card music, "Clownfish Capers," plays at a lower pitch than usual in this episode.
- The time capsule date has the year of 1960 on it and this episode aired in 2010. At the beginning, when SpongeBob sees the date on the time capsule as May 1960, he infers that it has been there for 50 years. This is true in real life, as 2010 is 50 years after 1960.
- Within all the chrome in SpongeBob's future thoughts, it is similar to "SB-129," although it takes 2,000 years after the main event, but "SpongeHenge" contradicts "SB-129" as well, as 3,000 years after the main event, there is no chrome background.
- In Indonesia, when Squidward says, "There's no way I'm letting you put your dumb rock in the time capsule." and "We just got buried alive, you idiots!," the words "dumb" and "idiots" are muted because the words "dumb," "idiot," "moron," and "stupid" are considered profanity in Indonesia.
- This episode premiered on Dan Povenmire's 47th birthday and 11 years after the premiere of "Culture Shock" and "F.U.N.."
- To date, this is the last episode to play the APM track "Chief Taravana."
- This episode nearly got paired with "Earworm," but was instead paired with "Enchanted Tiki Dreams."
- Pretzel Pals is a parody of Twister.
- The switch on the toaster that was donated was pushed down and did not have a cord.
- During the scene when Squidward looks at the plate, there is a noticeable cut when he sucks the plate into his nose. This can be seen when Squidward looks at the plate and sniffs it, and the camera cuts to the plate in his head.
- Throughout the scenes where fish are putting things in the capsule, the red ribbon which runs from the stand to the Krusty Krab repeatedly disappears and reappears.
- In the crowd outside the time capsule, there are duplicated fish.
- In Plankton's vision of a popular restaurant, Harold Bill Reginald Scott can be seen drinking with the straw overlapping his mouth.
- Mr. Krabs should have gotten SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward out of the time capsule when he put his copy of the Krabby Patty formula inside as he did see them.
- When Mr. Krabs throws the formula in the capsule, the capsule was full to the brim, but when the scene cuts back to SpongeBob and company, it was barely full and seemed to be a lot wider.
- When SpongeBob throws the plate, it breaks, but when they are trapped inside, the plate is back together again.
- When everyone is putting things into the capsule, it is next to a sign, but when Squidward is getting out of the capsule, it is next to the road.
- Perch Perkins is listed in the credits for this episode. However, Perch is not seen or heard in this episode.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are playing Pretzel Pals, Patrick says, "Forehead on yellow" when he was actually using the back of his head.