- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Patrick Star
- Davy Jones (mentioned)
- Abigail (light blue fish)
- Frankie Billy
- Peterson Nat Tucker
- Ivy (gray)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
The episode begins with Mr. Krabs getting a notice from the Fry Cook Union that since SpongeBob has accumulated too much vacation time, he needs to take a vacation. SpongeBob goes home quickly afterwards, but the next day, he goes back to the Krusty Krab again. Mr. Krabs reminds SpongeBob that he's on vacation and also gets Patrick to be SpongeBob's replacement fry cook for the time being.
SpongeBob is tired of being at home, so he decides to go to the Krusty Krab as a customer. Mr. Krabs accepts this, but when he sees that he's trying to help Patrick, he kicks him out again. SpongeBob still misses the Krusty Krab, so he tries several more attempts at getting to the Krusty Krab, only to fail each time.
Eventually Mr. Krabs is tired of this, so he sends SpongeBob to the middle of a forest. SpongeBob thinks that Mr. Krabs is trying to replace him permanently, so he goes into Patrick's house to scare him out of being a fry cook. At the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs thinks Patrick is cooking Krabby Patties, but sees that it was just SpongeBob in a Patrick outfit. It turns out SpongeBob has used up his vacation time, so SpongeBob continues working at the Krusty Krab.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Sunny Samoa - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [Title card]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer ["Fine?!"]
‣ Here's Adieu Sweet Lovely Nancy (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White [letter from Fry Cooks' Union]
• Marlin March - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes home]
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes back to work]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What's a vacation?"]
‣ Stepping into Danger - Mike Sunderland ["No work?!"]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani ["But who will fry the patties and clean the grill while I'm gone?"]
• Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick is hired as an intern.]
• Solo Steel 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob is sad.]
• Swell Idea - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Go away, SpongeBob."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [Krabby Patties all over Patrick's body]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["Patrick, you can't do that!"]
‣ Drunken Sailor (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Krabs kicks SpongeBob out]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["Oh, what to do, what to do?"]
• Swell Idea - Nicolas Carr ["I know just the thing to get the spirits up!"]
‣ Drunken Sailor (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Krusty Krab play set]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [toy Krabs kicks toy SpongeBob out]
• Swell Idea - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, I know just the thing to get the old spirits up!"]
‣ Drunken Sailor (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock ["I need 20 Krabby Patties, please."]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob standing outside the Krusty Krab]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [SpongeBob jellyfishing]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Whoa, low-salt ketchup?!"]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [bun delivery]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob gets kicked out of the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Nautical Hijinx - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob trying to get back in]
‣ So Tired - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [SpongeBob flushed down toilet]
‣ Nautical Hijinx - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob falls into the grease fryer]
‣ What's This Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs drives past SpongeBob's house]
‣ Spongeburglar - Nicolas Carr [Krabs takes SpongeBob to a forest]
‣ Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr ["I brought your spatula!"]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [playing fetch]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["It's not fair."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer ["Unless it's a... permanent vacation!"]
‣ Command Post 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Oh, I should have known!"]
‣ Command Post 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["They think I'm all washed up! Well, I'll show them!"]
‣ ? [Patrick comes home from work]
‣ Killer Birds - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob going crazy]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob disguised as Patrick]
‣ What's This Sting - Nicolas Carr ["SpongeBob?"]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Why'd you do it, laddie?"]
‣ Sunny Samoa - George de Fretes, Jan Rap ["Indeed I did, and there she is."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Yippee!"]
‣ Sunny Samoa - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [ending]
- This episode is available on the Whale of a Birthday, Season 4 Volume 2, First 100 Episodes, Nickelodeon Hot Picks!, Triple Pack 1, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 6, Complete Fourth Season, From the Beginning, Pt.2, Big Hits: Volume 1, The Third & Fourth Seasons, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- Casey Alexander has stated on Twitter this was his favorite episode that he worked on.
- This episode and "Wigstruck" were nominated for an Emmy at the 2007 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Animated Program (for Programming Less Than One Hour).
- The synopsis of this episode is similar to that of the first comic strip in the fifth SpongeBob comic book, Day Off/Off Day.
- When SpongeBob is on a "vacation," he sings like he sang "I'm ready, promotion" in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- While playing with the Krusty Krab playset, SpongeBob has a model of Squidward smiling, even though Squidward always frowns at work.
- The part where SpongeBob says, "I've been waiting for you, Patrick!" has become popular on YouTube.
- This was Dani Michaeli's first episode as a writer.
- This is the first time that "Nautical Hijinx" plays.
- This is the first episode to premiere on Nick Germany. Past episodes in Germany premiered on Super RTL due to Nickelodeon being closed in Germany from 1998-2005.
- This is the second episode where Patrick is shown with ears and the first one where he notices he had any. The first is "Survival of the Idiots," where Patrick says, "Who you callin' pinhead?"
- This is the second episode where Patrick is shown as a Krusty Krab employee. The first is "Big Pink Loser."
- In the Greek dub, this episode is called "Ατυχείς Διακοπές," which translates to "Unlucky Vacations."
- In the Polish dub, this episode is called "Koszmar na wakacje," which translates to "Nightmare for Vacation."
- The April 21, 2013 airing of this episode was paired with "20,000 Patties Under the Sea." This was for the Spongecation Sunday marathon as the episodes are both travel-themed.
- The title references "Summer Vacation."
- The magazine Squidward is reading is called Squid Ink. This is a parody of the 1991 magazine Teen Ink.
- When SpongeBob gasps at Patrick when he sees Patrick cooking at the wrong temperature, the window of the Krusty Krab is way bigger than normal.
- The Krusty Krab grill is on the opposite side of the kitchen as it usually is.
- When SpongeBob says he needs to get out of the house, if the viewer looks carefully where his legs should be, his legs are not there.
- When Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to get out, not only does SpongeBob back out completely instead of out of the Krusty Krab, but both the Chum Bucket and its path are missing.
- When Mr. Krabs is driving and says, "Uh-huh," his eyes are white instead of yellow.
- Mr. Krabs drives SpongeBob deep into the woods when he throws his spatula into them, but when SpongeBob walks away thinking Krabs is replacing him, he exits the woods almost immediately.
- When Patrick is running home and singing, he is coming from the left side of his rock, but in the previous scene, the left side leads towards the woods where Mr. Krabs got rid of SpongeBob.