- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Patrick Star
- Davy Jones (mentioned)
- Abigail Marge
- Frankie Billy
- Nat Peterson
- Ivy (gray)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
At the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs receives a notice from the fry cooks' union saying that SpongeBob has worked too much without any vacation break and that if SpongeBob does not take a vacation, Mr. Krabs will have to pay a fine. So, to keep Mr. Krabs from receiving any further fines, he sends SpongeBob on a vacation. SpongeBob goes home, goes to bed, eats breakfast the next morning, flosses his teeth, showers, sprays deodorant, makes himself sparkle, and lifts weights as part of his "vacation."
He comes back to the Krusty Krab where Mr. Krabs kicks him out again because only missing one day of work isn't a vacation. SpongeBob then asks what a vacation is and is horrified when he learns it means he is not allowed to work. He panics and Mr. Krabs tells him that Patrick will be his "unpaid replacement." He realizes that he should not remind himself of the Krusty Krab and that he is very hungry. So, SpongeBob goes back to the Krusty Krab. This time, it is not to work, but to buy food. Patrick is seen cooking the Krabby Patties incorrectly by putting them on his belly and not having the exact temperature for cooking the patties. SpongeBob shows him how to do it correctly, but he is caught and is kicked out.
To remind SpongeBob of the Krusty Krab, he plays with his Krusty Krab playset where he moves models of him, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs. SpongeBob pretends that the Mr. Krabs model kicks him out. The model of SpongeBob goes to his miniature pineapple and plays the same game, much to SpongeBob's depression.
To relax, SpongeBob goes to Jellyfish Fields to go jellyfishing, however, he sees reminders of the Krusty Krab. Now SpongeBob tries a series of attempts to get back in the Krusty Krab. Every time he tries, Mr. Krabs catches him.
Finally, Mr. Krabs tricks SpongeBob and drives him to a forest where he commands him to fetch a spatula, and then drives away, leaving him alone. SpongeBob fetches it and starts to think that this is a permanent vacation. SpongeBob comes to the conclusion that Mr. Krabs is trying to replace him. Blaming Patrick for trying to take away his job, he walks to Patrick's rock. When Patrick gets there, the rock automatically opens and he finds SpongeBob, who is seemingly going out of his mind. Patrick backs away in fear, becoming extremely nervous at his friend's behavior.
The next scene, shows the Krusty Krab where SpongeBob is frying the Krabby Patties in a Patrick costume before Mr. Krabs notices this. He asks what happened to the real Patrick as SpongeBob explains that he left Patrick who is not hurt at all but is at home watching TV, which was only static.
Mr. Krabs questions his reason as SpongeBob voices his love and dedication to the restaurant which is why he kept returning before Mr. Krabs announces that SpongeBob's vacation is officially over and that he does not have to pay a fine. SpongeBob then happily returns to his job as a fry cook.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Sunny Samoa - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [Title card]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer ["Fine?!"]
‣ Here's Adieu Sweet Lovely Nancy (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White [letter from Fry Cooks' Union]
• Marlin March - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes home]
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes back to work]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What's a vacation?"]
‣ Stepping into Danger - Mike Sunderland ["No work?!"]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani ["But who will fry the patties and clean the grill while I'm gone?"]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick is hired as an intern.]
• Solo Steel 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob is sad.]
• Swell Idea - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Go away, SpongeBob."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [Krabby Patties all over Patrick's body]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["Patrick, you can't do that!"]
‣ Drunken Sailor (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Krabs kicks SpongeBob out]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["Oh, what to do, what to do?"]
• Swell Idea - Nicolas Carr ["I know just the thing to get the spirits up!"]
‣ Drunken Sailor (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Krusty Krab play set]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [toy Krabs kicks toy SpongeBob out]
• Swell Idea - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, I know just the thing to get the old spirits up!"]
‣ Drunken Sailor (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock ["I need 20 Krabby Patties, please."]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob standing outside the Krusty Krab]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [SpongeBob jellyfishing]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Whoa, low-salt ketchup?!"]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [bun delivery]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob gets kicked out of the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Nautical Hijinx - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob trying to get back in]
‣ So Tired - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [SpongeBob flushed down toilet]
‣ Nautical Hijinx - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob falls into the grease fryer]
‣ What's This Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs drives past SpongeBob's house]
‣ Spongeburglar - Nicolas Carr [Krabs takes SpongeBob to a forest]
‣ Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr ["I brought your spatula!"]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [playing fetch]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["It's not fair."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer ["Unless it's a... permanent vacation!"]
‣ Command Post 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Oh, I should have known!"]
‣ Command Post 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["They think I'm all washed up! Well, I'll show them!"]
‣ ? [Patrick comes home from work]
‣ Killer Birds - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob going crazy]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob disguised as Patrick]
‣ What's This Sting - Nicolas Carr ["SpongeBob?"]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Why'd you do it, laddie?"]
‣ Sunny Samoa - George de Fretes, Jan Rap ["Indeed I did, and there she is."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Yippee!"]
‣ Sunny Samoa - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [ending]
- This episode is available on the Whale of a Birthday, Season 4 Volume 2, Complete Fourth Season, Triple Pack 1, Big Hits: Volume 1, Nickelodeon Hot Picks!, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 6, The Third & Fourth Seasons, From the Beginning, Pt.2, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- The synopsis of this episode is similar to that of the first comic strip in the fifth SpongeBob comic book, Day Off/Off Day.
- When SpongeBob is on a "vacation," he sings like he sang "I'm ready, promotion" in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- While playing with the Krusty Krab playset, SpongeBob has a model of Squidward smiling, even though Squidward always frowns at work.
- The part where SpongeBob says, "I've been waiting for you, Patrick!" has become popular on YouTube.
- This was Dani Michaeli's first episode as a writer.
- This is the first time that "Nautical Hijinx" plays.
- This is the first episode to premiere on Nick Germany. Past episodes in Germany premiered on Super RTL due to Nickelodeon being closed in Germany from 1998-2005.
- This is the second episode where Patrick is shown with ears, and the first one where he notices he had any. The first is "Survival of the Idiots," where Patrick says, "Who you callin' pinhead?"
- This is the second episode where Patrick is shown as a Krusty Krab employee. The first is "Big Pink Loser."
- In the Greek dub, this episode is called "Ατυχείς Διακοπές," which translates to "Unlucky Vacations."
- In the Polish dub, this episode is called "Koszmar na wakacje," which translates to "Nightmare for Vacation."
- The April 21, 2013 airing of this episode was paired with "20,000 Patties Under the Sea." This was for the Spongecation Sunday marathon as the episodes are both travel-themed.
- The magazine Squidward is reading is called Squid Ink. This is a parody of the 1991 magazine Teen Ink.
- The title references "Summer Vacation."
- When SpongeBob gasps at Patrick when he sees Patrick cooking at the wrong temperature, the window of The Krusty Krab is way bigger than normal.
- The Krusty Krab grill is on the opposite side of the kitchen as it usually is.
- When SpongeBob says he needs to get out of the house, if the viewer looks carefully where his legs should be, his legs are not there.
- When Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to get out, not only does SpongeBob back out completely instead of out of the Krusty Krab, but both the Chum Bucket and its path are missing.
- When Mr. Krabs is driving and says, "Uh-huh," his eyes are white instead of yellow.
- Mr. Krabs drives SpongeBob deep into the woods when he throws his spatula into them, but when SpongeBob walks away thinking Krabs is replacing him, he exits the woods almost immediately.
- When Patrick is running home and singing, he is coming from the left side of his rock, but in the previous scene, the left side leads towards the forest where Mr. Krabs got rid of SpongeBob.
- When SpongeBob's alarm goes off, it turns off on its own.