"Bummer Vacation" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season 4. In this episode, Mr. Krabs forces SpongeBob to take a vacation to avoid paying a fine, but SpongeBob constantly tries to sneak back in.
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Patrick Star
- Davy Jones (mentioned)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
The episode begins at the Krusty Krab, with Mr. Krabs getting a notice from the Fry Cook Union that since SpongeBob has accumulated too much vacation time, he needs to take a vacation. If this policy is not followed, he will have to pay a fine. SpongeBob goes home quickly afterwards, but the next day, he goes back to the Krusty Krab again. Mr. Krabs reminds SpongeBob that he's on vacation, and also gets Patrick to be SpongeBob's replacement fry cook for the time being.
SpongeBob is tired of being at home, so he decides to go to the Krusty Krab as a customer. Mr. Krabs accepts this, but when he sees that he's trying to help Patrick, he kicks him out again. SpongeBob still misses the Krusty Krab, so he tries several more attempts at getting to the Krusty Krab, only to fail each time.
Eventually, Mr. Krabs is tired of this, so he sends SpongeBob to the middle of a forest. He thinks that Mr. Krabs is trying to replace him permanently, so he goes into Patrick's house to scare him out of being a fry cook. At the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs thinks Patrick is cooking Krabby Patties, but sees that it was just SpongeBob in a Patrick outfit. It turns out that SpongeBob has used up his vacation time, so he continues working at the Krusty Krab. Then the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Sunny Samoa - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [Title card]
‣ Dramatic Cue (D) - Ronald Hanmer ["Fine?!"]
‣ Here's Adieu Sweet Lovely Nancy (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White [letter from Fry Cooks' Union]
• Marlin March - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes home]
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes back to work]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What's a vacation?"]
‣ Stepping into Danger - Mike Sunderland ["No work?!"]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani ["But who will fry the patties and clean the grill while I'm gone?"]
• Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick is hired as an intern.]
• Solo Steel 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob is sad.]
• Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Go away, SpongeBob."]
‣ Dramatic Impact (2) - Ivor Slaney [Krabby Patties all over Patrick's body]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["Patrick, you can't do that!"]
‣ Drunken Sailor (B) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Krabs kicks SpongeBob out]
‣ Hawaiian Link (B) - Richard Myhill ["Oh, what to do, what to do?"]
• Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["I know just the thing to get the spirits up!"]
‣ Drunken Sailor (B) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Krusty Krab play set]
‣ Hawaiian Link (B) - Richard Myhill [toy Krabs kicks toy SpongeBob out]
• Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, I know just the thing to get the old spirits up!"]
‣ Drunken Sailor (B) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock ["I need 20 Krabby Patties, please."]
‣ On The Beach - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob standing outside the Krusty Krab]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [SpongeBob jellyfishing]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Whoa, low-salt ketchup?!"]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [bun delivery]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob gets kicked out of the Krusty Krab.]
• Nautical Hijinx - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob trying to get back in]
‣ So Tired - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [SpongeBob flushed down toilet]
• Nautical Hijinx - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob falls into the grease fryer]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [Krabs drives past SpongeBob's house]
• Sponge Burgler Revisited - Nicolas Carr [Krabs takes SpongeBob to a forest]
• Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr ["I brought your spatula!"]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [playing fetch]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["It's not fair."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (E) - Ronald Hanmer ["Unless it's a... permanent vacation!"]
‣ Command Post 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Oh, I should have known!"]
‣ Command Post 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["They think I'm all washed up! Well, I'll show them!"]
• ? [Patrick comes home from work]
‣ Killer Birds - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob going crazy]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Dramatic Impact (3) - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob disguised as Patrick]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["SpongeBob?"]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Why'd you do it, laddie?"]
‣ Sunny Samoa - George de Fretes, Jan Rap ["Indeed I did, and there she is."]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Yippee!"]
‣ Sunny Samoa - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [ending]
- This episode is available on the Whale of a Birthday, Season 4 Volume 2, SpongeBob StarPants, Nickelodeon Hot Picks!, First 100 Episodes, Best of SpongeBob, Really Big Box Set, The SpongeBob Birthday Box, The Super Celebrations, Two for One with Nickelodeon! Volume 2, Double DVD Fun, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, Triple Pack 1, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 6, Complete Fourth Season, From the Beginning, Part 2, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, On the Road, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes, 2-Season TV Pack, Big Hits: Volume 1, The Third & Fourth Seasons, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- Casey Alexander has stated on Twitter this was his favorite episode that he worked on.
- This episode and "Wigstruck" were nominated for an Emmy at the 2007 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Animated Program (for Programming Less Than One Hour).
- This episode was paired up with a rerun of "Ghost Host" during the original American airing.
- When SpongeBob is on a "vacation," he sings like he sang "I'm ready, promotion" in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- The part where SpongeBob says, "I've been waiting for you, Patrick!" has become popular on YouTube.
- This is the first episode since "Hooky" in season 1 to use "Sunny Samoa" as the title card music.
- This was Dani Michaeli's first episode as a writer. He left the show after season 8, but returned briefly in season 10 as a freelance artist.
- This is the first time that "Nautical Hijinx" plays.
- This is the second episode where Patrick is shown as a Krusty Krab employee. The first is "Big Pink Loser."
- This is the second episode where Patrick is shown with ears, and the first one where he notices he had any. The first is "Survival of the Idiots," where Patrick says, "Who you callin' pinhead?"
- This was the last usage of "So Tired" until "ChefBob."
- This was the last episode to premiere during the Nick Friday Night event.
- In SpongeBob Comics #5, there is a comic strip titled "Day Off/Off Day" which has the exact same plot, except Patrick doesn't replace SpongeBob.
- In the Greek dub, this episode is called "Ατυχείς Διακοπές," which translates to "Unlucky Vacations."
- In the Polish dub, this episode is called "Koszmar na wakacje," which translates to "Nightmare for Vacation."
- The title references summer vacation.
- The magazine Squidward is reading is called Squid Ink. This is a parody of the 1991 magazine Teen Ink.
- When SpongeBob gasps at Patrick when he sees Patrick cooking at the wrong temperature, the window of the Krusty Krab is way bigger than normal.
- When SpongeBob turns the grill temperature to 298 degrees Fahrenheit, the patties on the grill had disappeared from the shot before.
- When SpongeBob starts playing his official Krusty Krab playset, his eyelashes are missing.
- When SpongeBob says he needs to get out of the house, his legs are missing.
- When Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to get out, not only does SpongeBob back out completely instead of out of the Krusty Krab, but both the Chum Bucket and its path are missing.
- While pretending to be a steaming, hot bun delivery man, SpongeBob drives a truck even though he doesn't have a license and doesn't know how to drive a boatmobile (car) in other episodes.
- When Mr. Krabs is driving and says, "Uh-huh," his eyes are white instead of pale green.
- When Patrick is running home and singing, he is coming from the left side of his rock, but in the previous scene, the left side leads towards the woods where Mr. Krabs got rid of SpongeBob.
- When Mr. Krabs shows the coin to SpongeBob, the wall behind SpongeBob turns pink-blue, as in the hall, instead of a shade of gray.