- Squidward Tentacles
- New Squidward (debut)
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- French Narrator
- Debbie Rechid
- Frankie Billy
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Jimmy Gus
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Nat Peterson
- Incidental 60
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Norma Rechid
- Harold (red fish)
- Ivy (gray)
- Dennis (citizen)
- Frank (lifeguard)
Squidward is sleeping, but then he hears SpongeBob and Patrick's voices. He wakes up to see them in his bedroom. Squidward angrily questions why they are at Squidward's house to watch the sunrise with him. After Squidward finds out that they have snuck into his room every morning to celebrate holidays like Easter, Valentine's Day, and the Fourth of July, it is told that his brain has a thunder storm every time Squidward sees SpongeBob. His happy gland is forced to find shelter in his mind's recesses, but he gets the flu due to no recess deep enough, until the two leave.
Three hours later, sunrise reaches and the camera cuts to Squidward putting an electric fence around his house to prevent SpongeBob and Patrick from intruding. He tricks them into picnicking on a catapult, which he uses to fling them out of the fence. They surprisingly return, wanting to be catapulted again, resulting in Squidward asking them to exit. This causes him to touch the doorknob of his fence, being electrocuted. It turns out that Squidward's brain storm has gone away and a rainbow has replaced it, thus making Squidward nice.
This continues on for the rest of the day, and even continues through the morning, such as waking SpongeBob up for work and flossing his teeth for him.
At the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob is surprised to see Squidward enter the kitchen, saying that he wanted to help SpongeBob work. SpongeBob promptly rejects this and Squidward is called out front by Mr. Krabs. He gives Susie a free hat, then asks for free refills. This shocks Mr. Krabs, who either calls cheap food or back into the kitchen he goes. Squidward returns to the kitchen, even making a fresh batch of Krabby Patties, but SpongeBob arrogantly rejects them, calling them "no good." He is stopped by Mr. Krabs when trying to throw them away, and is told they look fine to him despite SpongeBob's protest. SpongeBob becomes angry when he finds out Squidward has become a fry cook. Squidward says he wishes he could be employee of the month, SpongeBob already being one a gazillion times, but the latter corrects him, saying a gazillion and six times.
Mr. Krabs then barges in and shows SpongeBob a patty with a smiley face and dimples made out of ketchup. SpongeBob says that Squidward made it, expecting Mr. Krabs to be upset at Squidward. Mr. Krabs loves the design and makes Squidward employee of the month, much to SpongeBob's horror. Patrick even arrives with a cake for the employee of the month award winner, which SpongeBob erases his name on the cake and replaces it with Squidward's.
Later, a party is thrown at Patrick's house due to Squidward being the new employee of the month. SpongeBob enrages after realizing that Squidward is pogo-dancing with Patrick and ends up yelling at him, making him exit the party. Squidward attempts to enter his house again, but like earlier, he is electrocuted due to touching the doorknob.
SpongeBob and Patrick come for SpongeBob to apologize for his behavior to Squidward, and SpongeBob slaps Squidward's hand, leading SpongeBob to getting electrocuted. Patrick joins too, saying "he wants to dance funny." The generator explodes and Squidward is returned to his grumpy old self, but SpongeBob and Patrick's behavior change to Squidward's usual behavior as well. They get into an argument with him, ending the episode.
These are the storyboards of deleted scenes of this episode's original airing. They all can be found on the episode's animatic on Bikini Bottom Adventures DVD release.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Patrick in Squidward's room]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward furious]
‣ Toy Piano - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Storm clouds in Squidward's brain]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Three hours later]
‣ William Tell Overture - Gioacchino A. Rossini [Sunrise]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward putting up electric fence]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [SpongeBob and Patrick catapulted out/SpongeBob and Patrick land back inside the fence area]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward electrocuted]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [Rainbow in Squidward's brain]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Squidward wants to go to the petting zoo]
‣ Cherish the Love - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [Montage of SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward together]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [The next morning]
‣ Boy Scout - Harold Smart [Squidward helping SpongeBob with things]
‣ Krusty Krab Jig - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [At the Krusty Krab]
‣ Spring Cleaning [#5] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["How are we today? Everything a-okay here?"]
‣ Steel Sting (l) - Jeremy Wakefield [Little kid crying]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney ["Free?!"]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Squidward in the kitchen]
‣ Steel Sting (II) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's eyes fall out]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward sees SpongeBob's Employee of the Month awards]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["A smiley face with dimples?"]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["Aah! Dimples?!"]
‣ Blaze of Brass (d) - Cecil Milner [Squidward is the new Employee of the Month]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick enters]
‣ For He's a Jolly Good Fellow - Harry Bluestone [Everyone cheers for Squidward]
‣ Blue Tide - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob crying]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
‣ Saxaboogie - Harry Bluestone [Party at Patrick's house]
‣ Fates [#61.03] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob chews out Squidward]
‣ Saxaboogie - Harry Bluestone [Squidward leaves Patrick's house]
‣ Puka B - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob apologizes to Squidward, who lets bygones be bygones]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob get electrocuted with Squidward]
‣ Kalua Jubilee - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the Bikini Bottom Adventures, Season 5 Volume 1, Complete Fifth Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- Although this episode premiered in 2007, it was made in 2006 according to the credits.
- This is also the last episode to be made in that year.
- This episode was available on the Bikini Bottom Adventures DVD, released earlier in 2007, before it aired on television.
- This episode aired in Germany on Thursday, June 7, 2007, before it aired in the United States.
- Fourth of July is an American holiday, so basically Bikini Bottom celebrates American history.
- A scene involving Sadie talking to Susie was cut. This part was retained on the animatic on Bikini Bottom Adventures DVD release.
- This episode reveals there is an employee bathroom in the Krusty Krab kitchen.
- The bathroom for boys is spelled "Buoys." This is a pun on the flotation devices.
- In "Employee of the Month," Squidward competes with SpongeBob to win the coveted title. However, it is unknown who won in that episode. This time, he earns it without even trying.
- When Squidward makes the Krabby Patty with dimples, he becomes employee of the month on the spot.
- Patrick's Employee of the Month cake is entirely fixed after SpongeBob replaces his own name on the cake with Squidward's. An icing drawing of SpongeBob is still on the cake even though he was not the winner of the award.
- SpongeBob shows some audacity in bossing Squidward around in someone else's home (Patrick's). In telling Squidward he was not allowed to pogo with Patrick, he was more or less telling Patrick what he could and could not do in his own home.
- The guests do not seem to be disgusted with SpongeBob's outburst at Squidward, as the party continues after Squidward leaves.
- This episode premiered four years after "Gary Takes a Bath" premiered and one year after "New Leaf" premiered in Australia.
- In the Croatian dub, this episode's title is "Veseli Marko," which translates to "Happy Squidward."
- In the French dub, the 14th of July is mentioned instead of the 4th of July, as the 14th of July is the French National Day.
- SpongeBob's Employee of the Month Award photographs use his classic season 1 design, despite this being a season 5 episode.
- The title is a reference to the saying, "a breath of fresh air." This famous saying means that after several bad events, a good event finally happens, which basically fits along the episode's plotline.
- In the scene where both SpongeBob and Squidward are making Krabby Patties on the grill, it accidentally shows two frying grills in the kitchen instead of one.
- In the same scene, SpongeBob has five fingers instead of four.
- Because there are 44 awards, it should be August or September, not February.
- When SpongeBob is eating cake, the hat he is wearing changes stripe colors. First it is red on the bottom, then it is white.
- When Squidward has an electric shock, the gate's door is open, but when the new Squidward is sad and is going home, the door is closed.
- There is a plothole; after the fence initially shocks Squidward, altering his personality, it blows a gasket and the security system breaks down. This would logically mean that Squidward could not possibly have been shocked back to normal at the end.
- At the ending, when SpongeBob and Patrick are electrocuted to become as cranky and grumpy as Squidward, their eyes and SpongeBob's nose adapt to Squidward's face, but when Squidward becomes the new Squidward, his face does not change the shape of them.