- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sea urchin
- Old Man Walker
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 32
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 37A (red)
- Incidental 115
- Scooter (green)
- Incidental 64 (blue)
- Incidental 174
- Incidental 185
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 105
- Incidental BM50
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 2
- Bubba fish
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 93
- Teen 15
- Blue blob (single appearance)
- Other expired foods (single appearance)
- Scrubby and the Cleaning Crew (single appearance)
At the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob is cooking Krabby Patties when Mr. Krabs and a labor authority officer come in. Mr. Krabs explains that SpongeBob must take a five-minute break or else he will get fined. SpongeBob sees dirt on a table and cleans it up, and Mr. Krabs tells him that he cannot work on his break. The labor authority author starts to fine Mr. Krabs, so he uncovers an employee break room.
SpongeBob is excited about the break room and makes a carousel out of hot dogs, then puts it in the microwave. He surfs on a chair in front of a wave poster and then eats expired leftovers from the fridge. SpongeBob then makes a band out of various objects and starts playing music, which attracts the customers into the break room.
Mr. Krabs notices that the Krusty Krab is empty and finds everyone dancing in the break room, including the labor authority officer. He interrupts it to tell SpongeBob that his break is over. The officer agrees to not fine Mr. Krabs, and SpongeBob is excited for his next break in 20 years.
Mr. Krabs covers up the break room and SpongeBob goes back to the kitchen, but notices Squidward missing. It is then revealed that Squidward is taking a break in the break room as well.
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• SpongeBob Theme II - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
• Mr Krabs Happy Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Opening at the Krusty Krab]
‣ War Statement 10 - Laurie Johnson ["SpongeBob! Spatula down, sailor!"]
• Tip Toe Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs orders SpongeBob to take a five-minute break at work]
• In the Cooler Tension Build Up - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob sees a stain on the table]
‣ Dramatic Cue (E) - Ronald Hanmer ["SpongeBob! What are you doing?!"]
• Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Labor authority officer threatens to fine Mr. Krabs]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs smashes the walls to reveal a hidden employee break room]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Employee break room?"]
• Down in Davey Jones Locker - Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs opens the door of the employee break room]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Shots of the interior of the employee break room]
• Breathing Underwater - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, it's beautiful! Like stepping through a portal into the magical realm beyond!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1A - Jeremy Wakefield ["Yeah, whatever."]
• Salty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob takes some sausages and puts them in a microwave]
‣ Fairground - Mr. Stix [West One Music] [Sausage carousel in the microwave]
• Surfing Sponge Instrumental - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob climbs on a chair, pretending to surf]
‣ Flower Display - Jack Shaindlin [SpongeBob tastes expired meatloaf]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 29 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob falls apart]
• Happy Face Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Voilà!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 36B - Jeremy Wakefield [Control panel of one of SpongeBob's "band members" sparkles along with the microwave that is connected to him]
• Fresh and Funky - Nicolas Carr [Dance party in the break room]
‣ Moloka'i Nui A - Kapono Beamer [Customers exit the employee break room]
• Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs covers the employee break room]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 24A - Jeremy Wakefield ["Cause it's time you got back to making me money."]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob sees Squidward is missing]
• Tiki Land - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward in the break room]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 20 and The Complete Twelfth Season DVDs.
- This episode was paired up with "Mind the Gap" during the episode's original American airing, but has since been re-airing with "Handemonium."
- Along with "Mind the Gap," these episodes preceded the original American premiere of the Nickelodeon animated series Lego Jurassic World: Legend of Isla Nublar.
- This is the second episode of season 12 to be shorter than its usual 11 minutes. The first is "One Trick Sponge" and the third is "Dream Hoppers."
- It is the only one of these not to be connected to its sister episode.
- Here are the things SpongeBob did in the break room:
- Made a carousel out of hot dogs, put it in the microwave, and then exploded
- He surfs on a desk chair near an image of a wave
- He eats a blue blob thinking that he was "creamed corn" but actually meatloaf that expired
- He started a band called Scrubby and the Cleaning Crew, which made everyone in the restaurant listen to his music (thankfully, Mr. Krabs thought it was a party and everyone had an after party at the labor authority guy's house).
- Despite the plot, SpongeBob has actually taken a break before, like in "Hooky," "Jellyfish Hunter," and "Bummer Vacation."
- This episode is only six minutes long, due to its sister episode "Handemonium" being 15 minutes long.
- In airing order, this is the first 6-minute episode to air after Stephen Hillenburg's lifetime.
- The title is similar to that of "Ditchin'."
- The title card is also similar to that of "Don't Feed the Clowns," except the background is purple instead of green and there are a lot more dots.
- The fourth wall is broken three times in this episode:
- Mr. Krabs says that SpongeBob has to take a five-minute break when five minutes are remaining in the episode.
- SpongeBob states that he only needs one five-minute break every twenty years, which is a reference to the fact that the show was celebrating its twentieth anniversary in the year that this episode premiered.
- SpongeBob whistles the "SpongeBob Closing Theme" when sitting on the table.
- This is the second time the "SpongeBob Closing Theme" has been heard from SpongeBob, the first being "Krabs vs. Plankton" when he hums it while walking to Mr. Krabs' office.
- This is the only episode to date that takes place entirely inside. However, the outdoors can still be seen through the Krusty Krab windows, but none of the characters go outside nor is there an exterior shot of the restaurant.
- In "Ghoul Fools," Mr. Krabs suggests buying a break room for the Krusty Krab. Although in this episode, he is already shown to have a break room hidden inside of a wall in the Krusty Krab.
- The painting in the break room is similar to the 1831 painting The Great Wave off Kanagawa.
- Scrubby and the Cleaning Crew seem to be based on Trash and the Gang from the Five Nights at Freddy's series.
- Whenever SpongeBob is in the break room, the microwave's location changes.
- When Mr. Krabs opens up the break room, there are two Incidental 40s having fun.
- Gary the Snail is listed in the credits for this episode. However, Gary is not seen or heard in this episode.
- In the French dub, the opening credits are from "SpongeBob's Bad Habit."