"Bottle Burglars" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season 11. In this episode, SpongeBob and Squidward accidentally let Plankton slip away with the formula, and it is up to them to retrieve it.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- SpongeBob's skeleton
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Plankton's eye
- Karen Plankton
- Bubble Bass
- Electric eye (debut)
- TV actress
- TV monster (debut)
- DoodleBob (cameo)
- Mermaid Man (cameo)
- Barnacle Boy (cameo)
The episode begins with SpongeBob and Squidward cleaning Mr. Krabs' room, with Mr. Krabs telling them to watch over the formula. Meanwhile, Plankton is using an invisibility cloak to steal the formula, and ends up doing so when Squidward accidentally throws it out due to SpongeBob mistakenly placing it in the trash. He goes back to the Chum Bucket to tell Karen this, and she becomes extremely happy.
SpongeBob tries to look for the formula, but cannot find and Squidward tells him it was actually a trash can. SpongeBob and Squidward then look at the security footage to see what happened, and see that Plankton had stolen it. They devise a plan to steal the formula back, while Plankton fails to open the formula due to there being a 12-hour time lock.
SpongeBob and Squidward go inside the Chum Bucket, right when Plankton finishes watching his show and goes to bed. After SpongeBob makes sure Plankton is asleep, they face many obstacles before eventually reaching the safe. However, whenever SpongeBob steps on a tile, he activates a trap which hurts Squidward. When they finally reach the safe, SpongeBob tries to take it, but this causes a rocket to take SpongeBob and Squidward and blast them outside of the restaurant.
Mr. Krabs comes back to the Krusty Krab, where SpongeBob and Squidward tell him that Plankton stole the formula. He gets very mad, but ends up stealing the formula back very easily by punching a hole through the safe outside the restaurant. The episode ends with Plankton being mad that the formula is gone, while Mr. Krabs puts SpongeBob and Squidward in his safe to further protect the formula.
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Discovery - Benny Carter [Title card]
• Another Krusty Krab Day 3 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Squidward clean Mr. Krabs' office.]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton puts on invisibility helmet.]
• Toy Piano 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob puts the secret formula bottle in a trash can.]
• Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward drops trash on the trash can and dumps outside.]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["The secret formula!"]
‣ Tricks and Traps - James McConnel [Plankton takes the formula/Plankton enters the Chum Bucket with the formula.]
• Mr Krabs Happy Jig Short Version - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob cleaning Mr. Krabs' desk.]
• Melodramatic Moments - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob notices the formula's gone.]
‣ Drama Link (D) - Hubert Clifford ["The formula?!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 30 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Squidward searching for the formula in the trash outside.]
• M'Wanna - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries.]
• Fooling Around 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick and Bubble Bass are seen on the security footage.]
• A Simple Conversation 1 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [The formula is seen in movement on the security footage.]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton is seen with the formula on the security footage.]
• Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton trying to remove the cork from the bottle.]
‣ ? ["Open sesame!"]
• Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton uses flamethrower and dynamite to remove the cork.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 9A - Jeremy Wakefield ["It's no use, Karen. It won't budge."]
• Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Cork has a time lock.]
• Tip Toe Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Closing time at the Krusty Krab.]
• Sneaky Panther Pants - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Squidward sneak into the Chum Bucket.]
‣ New Threat - Roger Roger [Valentino Production Music] [Plankton watching a scary movie.]
‣ ? - unknown public domain movie soundtrack samples [Plankton watching a scary movie]
• Humorous Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton preparing for bed.]
‣ Happy Links 6-9 - Paul Fenoulhet [Plankton arrives at his bedroom.]
• Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob makes sure that Plankton is slept.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (A) - Ronald Hanmer [Spot growls at SpongeBob and Squidward.]
‣ Droopy - Arthur Wilkinson [Spot licking Squidward.]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 34 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob takes a spent fuel rod.]
‣ Eight Comical Cuts - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob plays fetch with Spot.]
‣ Dirty Dick - Ralph Dollimore [Karen appears in sleep mode.]
‣ Dramatic Episode 2 - Kurt Rehfeld [SpongeBob and Squidward arrive at another part of Chum Bucket.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 2B - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob takes a Plankton's prison photo.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 10 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Looks like they captured the rest of him too."]
‣ Space Horizons - Wolf Helling [Retina scans Plankton's photo.]
‣ Discovery - Benny Carter [Traps fall on Squidward while trying to approach to the safe.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 22B - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob takes Squidward's remains into the bucket.]
• Harp! - Nicolas Carr [Safe opens.]
‣ Crime And Danger Sign #3 - Hans Conzelmann, Delle Haensch [Alarm goes off and Squidward and SpongeBob get into a rocket.]
• Mr Krabs Happy Jig Short Version - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs arrives at the Krusty Krab at the morning.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1A - Jeremy Wakefield ["Why are you two smoldering?"]
‣ Deeply Moving Experience - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob confesses Mr. Krabs that the secret formula is on the Chum Bucket.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 14A - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs steals the formula back from the Chum Bucket.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 17A - Jeremy Wakefield [Spot in Plankton's safe.]
• Ahoy Landlubbers - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Ah... I'm sure glad the formula is back in the safe where it belongs, Mr. Krabs."]
• Unknown Track 99 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 18 and The Complete Eleventh Season DVDs.
- In the French dub, Spot's name is not translated.
- Plankton's bedroom in this episode is completely different from the bedroom he was previously shown with in "One Coarse Meal." Also, in "One Coarse Meal," Plankton sleeps in his bedroom alone, but in this episode, Karen and Plankton both share the same bedroom. As a result, "Bottle Burglars" is the first time that both Plankton and Karen are shown sleeping together in the same room.
- This is the second episode to show Plankton's skinned form. The first was "Plankton's Regular."
- This is the third time the RMS Titanic is shown. The first time was in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water and the second time was in "Moving Bubble Bass."
- This is the third appearance of Spot. The first was in "Plankton's Pet," and the second was in "Spot Returns."
- This is also the first time Spot and Squidward interact.
- This episode references numerous past episodes:
- SpongeBob being used as a window washer is a reference to "Plankton Retires."
- SpongeBob washing Mr. Krabs' first dollar is a reference to "Wet Painters."
- Karen's "kissy face" screensaver from "Grandmum's the Word" reappears when she kisses Plankton.
- When Squidward turns on the Krusty Krab's security footage, a drawing of DoodleBob can be seen on the bottom of the table, referencing both "Frankendoodle" and "Doodle Dimension."
- SpongeBob mimicking Plankton is a reference to "Mimic Madness."
- Plankton turning into a genie when he is trying to open the Krabby Patty formula, which is a reference to "Spin the Bottle." He also says "Open Sesame," which is a reference to Patrick saying the same thing in "Survival of the Idiots."
- Squidward's claustrophobia from "Wishing You Well" is brought up again in the ending.
- The boot that squishes Squidward is similar to how the Cyclops' boot squishes Dennis from the first movie.
- Squidward getting burnt by fire is similar to the deleted scene from "Just One Bite."
- The piano that fell on Squidward is similar to SpongeBob dropping a piano on Plankton twice in "Fear of a Krabby Patty."
- When Squidward turns on the Krusty Krab's security footage, the date 05-01-99 (May 1, 1999) can be seen on the bottom of the table. This is a reference to the airdate of "Help Wanted," the first episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
- The scenes from the horror movie Plankton was watching also appears in "The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom" on Karen's screen.
- When Spot chases after the fuel rod, the lightsaber sound from Star Wars is heard.
- The boat that crushes Squidward is the RMS Titanic.
- The film Plankton watches is the 1961 horror film Creature from the Haunted Sea.
- While Karen is in sleep mode, the floating shapes on her screen allude to the Mystify screensaver included in Windows XP and earlier.
- The opening credits read "animation director" even though there are two animation directors.
- When SpongeBob says, "I'm not even doing anything!," his eyelashes are missing.
- When SpongeBob takes off the cat burglar suit, Squidward's nose is behind his mouth for one frame.
- When SpongeBob is cleaning the window, one of his eyes turn yellow for a split second.
- When SpongeBob and Squidward are walking towards Mr. Krabs in front of the Krusty Krab near the end of the episode, the rim of Squidward's hat is miscolored using his skin color.