- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs (mentioned)
- Highway Speed Patrol officer
- Mrs. Puff
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 18
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 115
- Incidental 106 (normal; light green)
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 8
- Mr. Muscul
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 68
- Johnson (name revealed)
- Incidental 154
- Cowboy fish (debut)
SpongeBob is brushing Gary when he hears a strange noise. He goes outside to investigate, only to find out that it is just Squidward breathing. Squidward then tells SpongeBob that he will pay him five dollars if he gives him peace and quiet for the rest of the day. However, Squidward already gave SpongeBob five dollars to leave him alone yesterday. He gets annoyed, so Squidward begins walking away. He then finds out that
SpongeBob is following him, so he starts running and he jumps onto his boat. However, he cannot find the keys and then SpongeBob arrives at Squidward's boat. Squidward then becomes furious, only to find out that SpongeBob wanted to give him his keys. Squidward drives away and literally drives through a stop sign. He gets pulled over by a police man, telling him that he needs to go to boating school.
After that, the scene changes to Squidward walking up to Mrs. Puff's Boating School and once he opens the door, he sees SpongeBob and then starts to cry. During class, Squidward is forced to sit next to SpongeBob. Then Mrs. Puff asks Squidward why he is enrolled in Boating School, so he tells everyone in the class while SpongeBob heavily breathes during this, annoying Squidward. After, Mrs. Puff tells SpongeBob to illustrate his side of the story, but SpongeBob just draws a picture with him and Squidward saying "SpongeBob and Squidward, Best Boating Buddies Forever" on the chalkboard.
Later, it is lunchtime and Squidward tries to avoid SpongeBob. He then decides to eat in the bathroom, but he saw SpongeBob's feet. Squidward angrily banging the door yelling at SpongeBob, but when it opens, it reveals to be a tough guy. Squidward awkwardly freaks out that he thought it was SpongeBob and got beaten up. He arrives back in class with SpongeBob, and Mrs. Puff tells him that he has to drive with SpongeBob for a test. So they get inside a boat and SpongeBob is the driver. However, he drives out of control and crashes into a research lab. There, he, Squidward, and Mrs. Puff shrink and get washed down the drain. SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff end up in a water fountain back at Mrs. Puff's Boating School, while Squidward ends up in the bathroom and gets beat up again.
The scene changes to everyone back in class. Mrs. Puff explains that everyone is going to do a test. But when SpongeBob tries to help him, Squidward snaps at him exclaiming that they aren't "Boating Buddies" and he never wants help from him ever again. SpongeBob's feelings are hurt. However, Squidward can't do the test because he can't pick up the pencil, so he asks for SpongeBob's help; when the sponge reminds him of what he said, Squidward denies it, only for his voice to have been recorded by another student. Finally, when Squidward admits that he and SpongeBob are "Boating Buddies," SpongeBob cheers. But time runs out and Squidward asks Mrs. Puff what to do. She then says that he needs to come back the next week to retake the test. Squidward finds out that SpongeBob also failed the test and he has to come back the next week too, and Squidward screams as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Salty Squid Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton [title card]
• What the Huh Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Gary, can you hear that?"]
• Boring Morning - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [Squidward reading/Squidward searching for five dollars on his wallet/Squidward leaves]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward stops]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob chases Squidward]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["You left your keys on the table back there."]
• SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward drives away]
• Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [cop writes Squidward a ticket]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["Officer, please! I have impeccable boat smarts."]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Bo-bo-bo-bo-bo?"]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [Squidward goes to boating school]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward cries]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [Class begins/During class/Squidward explains/Squidward finishes his explaining/"...and proceeded safely toward my vehicle."]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["SpongeBob would like to come up, and illustrate his side of the story."]
‣ The Four Seasons: Spring - Antonio Vivaldi [SpongeBob's side of the incident]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What the...?"]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [lunch]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward's angry]
‣ Unknown Track 26 - Nicolas Carr [tough guy]
• Steel Licks 20 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward with leg cast]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [driving test begins]
• Monster Wave - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King ["SpongeBob, look out!"]
‣ Lonely Stranger - Laurie Johnson [top secret laboratory]
• Monster Wave - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [Boat gets shrunk]
‣ Frankenstein's Niece A - Gregor F. Narholz ["Where'd they go?"]
• Steel Licks 12 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I will never understand these city folk."]
‣ Unknown Track 26 - Nicolas Carr ["I was just leaving."]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward with leg cast again]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Okay, Squidward, if that's the way you want it."]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Squidward asks SpongeBob for help]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Jerk."]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [time's up]
• Steel Licks 11 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Time can't be up!"]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants, Season 6 Volume 1, Boating Buddies, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 9, Complete Sixth Season, 3 DVD Value Pack, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Kids Double Pack: Volume 4, Driving Bikini Bottom Crazy!, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode was originally going to premiere on Friday, August 8, 2008 but was pulled forward to Thursday, August 7, 2008 and replaced with "The Krabby Kronicle" instead.
- The info for this episode on TV guides say Squidward is caught speeding. However, he is not speeding; he just ran over a stop sign.
- Squidward claims he has impeccable boat smarts, but he lost them in "Slide Whistle Stooges" when he destroyed the Chum Bucket and the Krusty Krab.
- The close-up of SpongeBob breathing heavily has become a famous Internet meme.
- When SpongeBob is driving recklessly and nearly hits the old lady, she is shown to be Granny from the episode "Have You Seen This Snail?"
- The gorilla suit that SpongeBob wears when he drives through the Costume Supplies shop is similar to the one Patrick wears in "I Had an Accident."
- At the end of the episode, SpongeBob says he has never passed the test exam. In "Boating School," he says he always passes the oral but can never do the driving part.
- This is the first episode where "Salty Squid Jig" plays.
- This is the second time a main character goes to boating school with SpongeBob. The first was Patrick in "New Student Starfish."
- This is the second episode where Squidward ends up in a full body cast. The first is "Jellyfishing."
- This is the third episode where Squidward's vehicle is shown. The first is "Dying for Pie" and the second is "Boat Smarts."
- In the German dub, this episode is called "Bootsbrüder," which translates to "Boating Brothers."
- When Squidward's hot chocolate lands on his head, SpongeBob exclaims "Chocolate rain!" This is a reference to the song "Chocolate Rain" by Tay Zonday.
- When SpongeBob drives through the Costume Supplies shop, Mrs. Puff is dressed like Jason Voorhees, the main character of Friday the 13th.
- When SpongeBob says, "Okay" to Squidward when the latter offers the former 5$, his flappy face appearance is similar to the Canadians from South Park.
- When Squidward says "I don't care what Mr. Krabs says!," when SpongeBob leans backwards slightly, his black belt turns white.
- The outline of the newspaper on the table is blue, but when Squidward snatches it from the table, the outline is gray.
- When Squidward walks away from SpongeBob, he has a newspaper in his hand, but in the next shot, he does not.
- In reality, Squidward couldn't get his license revoked just because an officer told him to return to boating school. To get a license revoked, he would either need to get arrested or be taken to court.
- Squidward says he has no criminal record prior to getting the ticket. However, he got arrested in "Good Ol' Whatshisname," though it is possible that the events of this episode took place before it or the episode wasn't canon.
- In one scene where Squidward is talking to SpongeBob, he's side belt is missing.
- During the close-up of SpongeBob breathing heavily, when he blinks, his eyelashes are visible for a split-second.
- When Squidward screeches the chalkboard, he appears to draw a line. That line is not seen again when it shows a shot of the whole chalkboard. Squidward was not shown erasing that line either.
- After Squidward is done with his illustration, he does not erase the board when he is finished, and when SpongeBob is drawing, there is no trace of Squidward's drawing left, and he was never seen picking up an eraser.
- When SpongeBob draws the curl on the line, it disappears when the camera zooms out to the entire chalkboard.
- When Mrs. Puff says "Now, we're going to take this nice and slow," she blinks her eyes but her eyelashes are still seen.
- After Squidward got beat up the first time, he has a half body cast on, but when the scene changes, he does not have a cast on until he got beat up the second time.
- When Squidward sits down to take the final exam, he is neither holding a pencil nor is there a pencil on his desk, but in the next shot, he has a pencil laying on his desk.
- In the scene where Squidward is talking to SpongeBob about him needing his help, Debbie Rechid is pink, and in the next shot, she is purple.
- In this episode, SpongeBob's cheeks appear bigger than usual.
- Squidward getting injured by a bully in the restroom.