- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Dream Seahorse
- Jack M. Crazyfish (debut)
- Dream Jack
- Gary the Snail
- 30-foot librarian (mentioned)
- Patrick Star
- Sandy Cheeks
- Sea cows/Manatees (debut)
- Cat snake (mentioned)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Evelyn Annette
- Frankie Billy (normal; dark gray)
- Dream Frankie Billy (female)
- Frank (red shirt)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Peterson Nat Tucker
- Gramma (debut)
- Debbie Rechid
- Ivy (gray)
SynopsisSpongeBob has a dream where he has to save someone from being tied up on railroad tracks until he sees a fish named Jack M. Crazyfish and they played rock, paper, scissors. SpongeBob won, but Jack M. Crazyfish cheats and they argue. It was a nightmare and SpongeBob loses the battle. His dreams disturb Gary's sleep all night. When SpongeBob goes to his bathroom to brush his teeth, he cannot open his toothpaste, so he uses a wrench to open it. But he accidentally gets the wrench stuck in his eyelid, he gets a hideous black eye from the accident. Whenever people notice SpongeBob's black eye, he tells them that he was fighting Jack M. Crazyfish, and he got the black eye from doing that. Later, when Jack M. Crazyfish arrives at the Krusty Krab and says he is looking for SpongeBob, the customers tell Crazyfish the story SpongeBob said. SpongeBob was very afraid and wanted to tell him the truth, so he went back home and gets the wrench and the toothpaste.
SpongeBob demonstrates it to Jack M. Crazyfish what really happened to him. SpongeBob then got a second black eye. Jack M. Crazyfish tells him that he just came to the Krusty Krab because he has heard that SpongeBob makes great Krabby Patties, and he is hungry for one.
SpongeBob then served him delicious Krabby Patties but because he had two black eyes he could not see very well. The patties then went flying to Jack M. Crazyfish. Jack M. Crazyfish loses his temper and gets mad and challenges SpongeBob to a game of rock, paper, and scissors. SpongeBob won the first time but he did not know that Jack M. Crazyfish cheated on him and SpongeBob yells "NO!"
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Wahini Wobble - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Galloping Gertie - Sam Fonteyn [opening]
‣ Dirty Work at the Crossroads - Sam Fonteyn [woman tied to railroad tracks]
‣ Rescued - Keith Nichols ["There, there, you're safe now."]
‣ Villains and Vampires (a) - Sam Fonteyn [Jack M. Crazyfish]
‣ Runaway Piano - Trevor Bastow [rock-paper-scissors]
‣ Spot 1 - Trevor Bastow [train approaching]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob wakes up]
‣ Editor's Falling Over (c) - Dick Stephen Walter [toothpaste cap flies everywhere]
‣ Editor's Falling Over (f) - Dick Stephen Walter [Cap hits SpongeBob in his eye]
‣ Editor's Falling Over (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob falls over backwards]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob looks in the mirror]
‣ Editor's Falling Over (g) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob slips on the toothpaste cap]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob with a black eye]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob wearing sunglasses]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Patrick appears]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["SpongeBob, your eye!"]
‣ The Stalking - Trevor Bastow [SpongeBob imaginating Jack M. Crazyfish]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Jack M. Crazyfish!"]
‣ Blood in the Gutter - Laurie Johnson [SpongeBob says he beat up Crazyfish]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield ["That is exactly what I mean, Patrick!"]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["There goes a real hero."]
‣ What's This Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What the...?"]
‣ American Odyssey (a) - Graham D.H. Preskett [sea cow crossing]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy sees SpongeBob's black eye]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [SpongeBob says he got it in a fight]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["He was the notorious outlaw, Jack M. Crazyfish!"]
‣ Slinky Panther Pants - Nicolas Carr ["I was walking home from work, alone, when all of a sudden..."]
‣ Towerstreet 17 [#4] - Gerhard Narholz ["...Crazyfish sprung up out of nowhere!"]
‣ West Point - Larry Hochman ["He ran all the way home, leaving behind a pool of tears."]
‣ Witty Fellow - Gerhard Trede [straw jabs SpongeBob in the eye]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Adios!"]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [exterior of Krusty Krab]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence [SpongeBob enters]
‣ Moving Target - Dick Stephen Walter ["I'm talking to you, Grandma!"]
‣ Unease - Dick Stephen Walter ["Now I suppose you're wondering how I got this black eye."]
‣ Man from the Ministry [#73] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["...a shining trophy of my glorious triumph over the forces of evil."]
• 12th Street Rag Revisited - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob begins his story]
‣ Dr. Death - Trevor Bastow ["...when a wanted cry of distress pounded against my eardrum."/SpongeBob finishes the story]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [after SpongeBob's story]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a second."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 1 - Ivor Slaney [Crazyfish enters Krusty Krab]
‣ Fates [#62.02] - Gregor F. Narholz ["Mr. Crazyfish, please don't skin me alive!"]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob showing how he got the black eye]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [Crazyfish just wanted a Krabby Patty]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [SpongeBob serving Crazyfish]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - The Folk Players [ending]
- This episode is available on the To Love a Patty, Season 5 Volume 2, First 100 Episodes, Holidays with SpongeBob 3-DVD Gift Set, Complete Fifth Season, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- When SpongeBob throws some things on Gary, he throws the shirt with the inscription "I'm with stupid," which is a reference to the episode of the same name.
- SpongeBob tells Patrick that Jack M. Crazyfish is about 60 feet tall. 60 feet would be about 4-6 stories high, or the length of a bowling lane.
- Manatees, also known as sea cows, make their only appearance in this episode.
- Technically, in a way, there is such thing as a pain gland called nerves.
- SpongeBob tells Sandy he got the black eye in a fight with Jack M. Crazyfish. However, when he tells the story, he says that he got the black eye by "miscalculating the trajectory of the cup, and the straw jabbing him in the eye" and that does not involve Jack M. Crazyfish.
- Frank says to SpongeBob that sponges do not have eardrums, but in "The Inside Job," SpongeBob has an eardrum.
- This was Greg Miller's only episode as a writer and storyboard director.
- In the Welsh dub, this episode is called "Llygad Ddu," which translates to "black eye."
- SpongeBob's dream is a reference to an archetypal western.
- SpongeBob uses Krust toothpaste, which is a parody of the real-life toothpaste brand Crest.
- When SpongeBob is talking to Gary and says, "No, no, Tuesday night was the one with the 30-foot librarian," one of his white teeth turn yellow for a split-second.
- In SpongeBob's bathroom, when he turns muscular and tries to open the toothpaste, the bubbles by his hand stop moving for a moment.
- The music when SpongeBob tries to open the toothpaste is not the usual Hawaiian guitar, but has a harpsichord, and a bassoon.
- When SpongeBob looks at himself through the mirror after getting hit in the eye with the toothpaste cap, the wrench is in his left hand. But when he slips on the cap and hits one of his eyes with the wrench, it's in his right hand.
- When SpongeBob says, "Oh I mean I..." and Patrick says, "I know what you mean," there appears to be a few frames of animation cut with Patrick's expression suddenly changing, which implies there may have been a deleted scene animated but removed in the final cut.
- Sandy refers to the manatees as "fishies," but in reality, they are mammals.
- When SpongeBob says, "Hi Sandy," part of his white shirt is black.
- In the scene where Jack M. Crazyfish throws a tire at SpongeBob, they are on a sidewalk. Shortly after when Jack M. Crazyfish runs away crying, the sidewalk disappears.
- When SpongeBob tells his story to Sandy, in the prologue, SpongeBob does not have a hat on. However, when Jack M. Crazyfish ran all the way home leaving behind a pool of tears, SpongeBob is wearing his Krusty Krab employee hat, but there is no anchor on that hat. When SpongeBob drinks the tears, he does not have a hat on again.
- When a close-up of the clam sign is shown, the Krusty Krab sign is misspelled as "Krysty Krab." Also, the y is backwards.
- The Krusty Krab looks dark than usual
- When Frankie Billy first appears and Mr. Krabs comments about how late SpongeBob is, he is in his normal color scheme, but when SpongeBob walks past him and Evelyn Annette, Frankie Billy has a different color scheme similar to Ivy.
- During the telling of his story in the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob says, "I emerged from my fruit-shaped bungalow fresh as a bee..." but in numerous episodes his house has more than one floor, so it cannot be considered a bungalow.
- When SpongeBob spilled mustard on Jack M. Crazyfish's shirt, the mustard was still there. After they were playing rock-paper-scissors, the mustard is gone.
- SpongeBob telling false stories about a fight with Jack M. Crazyfish.