|“||We've received a tremendous response from almost 4 million fans who have voted online for their favorite SpongeBob episodes and we'll reward them with our biggest SpongeBob event ever.||”|
— Tom Ascheim, executive vice president and general manager for Nickelodeon Television
The Best Day Ever marathon was a SpongeBob SquarePants marathon that aired on November 9 and 10, 2006. The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie television premiere occurred after the marathon. The episode “Best Day Ever” also premiered during this event.
This episode aired on November 10, 2006, during a 24-hour marathon, in which Patchy the Pirate counted down the top 100 SpongeBob episodes, while on a boat in the New York City harbor. Fans voted weeks prior to the marathon on an online poll. The marathon started on November 9, 2006, and ran through November 10, 2006, and ended with the network premiere of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. The marathon raised Nickelodeon's ratings to an average of over 6.7 million viewers and became the network's most highest-rated day ever.
During the Best Day Ever marathon for 24 hours, starting at 8 p.m. on November 9. During the marathon at 9 p.m., the logo in the right bottom corner changed from Nick to the Nick at Nite logo. At 6:00 a.m. it went back from the "Nick at Nite" logo to the "Nick" logo. If one were to look for episode information in their cable guide during the countdown, the message "A yellow sponge lives in subterranean Bikini Bottom" would appear in the "Info" box so as not to give away the rankings. During the 24 hour marathon, regular Nick at Nite programming and Nick Jr. programs were not broadcast.
Repeats of the top 10 episodes (referred to as "The Best 10 Ever") were shown on November 22, November 25, December 9, December 29, and January 12. The marathon (lasting for 1 day (or 24 hours)) and the episode are both called "Best Day Ever." In Australia, the marathon (lasting for 4 days (or 96 hours)) has another version called "Non-Stop SpongeBob" which premiered on December 23, 2006. On February 1–2, 2008, the "Best Day Ever" premiere on Nickelodeon in Australia.
Top 100 Episodes
Forty-three episodes did not make the countdown, as there were one hundred and forty-three episodes released prior to the marathon. "Procrastination" was ranked the 100th episode and "Karate Island" was ranked the number one episode. The rankings on Turbo Nick are oddly different from the marathon order, and some have changed in the process. The Top 100 episodes are shown on the table below.
Episodes that didn't make it to the list
- "Ripped Pants"
- "Naughty Nautical Neighbors"
- "Boating School"
- "Jellyfish Jam"
- "Squeaky Boots"
- "The Chaperone"
- "Valentine's Day"
- "Walking Small"
- "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II"
- "Something Smells"
- "Life of Crime"
- "Christmas Who?"
- "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic"
- "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III"
- "The Smoking Peanut"
- "The Secret Box"
- "I'm with Stupid"
- "Artist Unknown"
- "Jellyfish Hunter"
- "The Algae's Always Greener"
- "SpongeGuard on Duty"
- "Club SpongeBob"
- "The Bully"
- "Doing Time"
- "One Krab's Trash"
- "Can You Spare a Dime?"
- "Squilliam Returns"
- "Krab Borg"
- "Mid-Life Crustacean"
- "Born Again Krabs"
- "The Sponge Who Could Fly"
- "Pranks a Lot"
- "Good Neighbors"
- "Funny Pants"
- "Chimps Ahoy"
- "Bummer Vacation"
- "Squidtastic Voyage"
- Every episode that premiered after "Best Day Ever" (in airing order)
When the Best Day Ever countdown started, Patchy's hook was on his left side. After the next commercial, his hook was on the right side. It has since been relocated to his left hand. Patchy's hosting supposedly took place in real time alongside the marathon. A few times during the Best Day Ever marathon in the day, the Patchy commercials would take place at night. Some segments were shown several times. Before Squid on Strike, Patchy is seen reading a men's magazine on Jessica Alba. As Patchy reads an NYC guidebook he can remember only two of the seven seas.
Patchy fell asleep at midnight and woke up at 8:00 a.m., because he can't remember anything between #85, Shell of a Man (shown at midnight) and #43, Nature Pants (shown at 7:45 a.m.). However, in the middle of the night, Patchy woke up (he lost track of what episode was next) to announce #61, "Suds" and came up with the excuse that he was "resting his eyes". However, he was stumbling over his words in the process, showing that he was half-asleep and, ironically, skipped numbers 62-73. After that, he went back to sleep.
On Number 6, Patchy was about to "dance" with a broom, but realized that he's on air, and "continued cleaning," while presenting the number 6, "New Leaf."
A giant, sequined SpongeBob over New York Harbor was lowered as the #1 episode drew closer and closer, a la the famous New Years' Ball in Times Square.
Several promotional advertisements for the airing of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie showed the film in its original widescreen aspect ratio, however, the airing of the film at 8:00 p.m. EST was in a cropped full-screen aspect ratio/pan and scan version of the film.
During the airing of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie at the climax of the Best Day Ever marathon, the Nickelodeon logo changes to a semi-transparent version of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie logo.
- To promote the special and the episode, a SpongeBob Sponge Station was made for the 2006 New York City marathon, where sponges with the words "Best Day Ever" on them, would be handed out by people, including the Nickelodeon Senior Vice President of Consumer Products Hal Snik.
- Prior the premiere of the episode, Best Buy stores across the United States would introduce a "Best Day Ever"-themed Best Buy gift card that doubles as a DVD-ROM packed with music videos, video game previews and more. Additional designs of the cards can be found here. In addition, "Best Day Ever"-themed activities would be held at the Nickelodeon Family Suites Hotel by Holiday Inn, including a themed party called the Bikini Bottom Bash. Throughout the month of November, the hotel released a "Best Day Ever" package to its guests starting at $369.
- Patchy the Pirate's hook changes hands throughout the marathon. Also, for some odd reason when it aired, "Best Day Ever" aired before "Karate Island" in a rerun.
- After this marathon, Pat Morita's dedication card at the end of "Karate Island" was cut except for DVD releases and Canadian airings. However, for some time afterward, the image could be seen for a split second at the end of the episode.
- There is an event with the same name in Israel, although it was different.
- Even though Patchy claims that "Shanghaied" is one of his favorite episodes, it is not on the list.
- The best performing episodes per season were:
- Season 1: F.U.N. (#14)
- Season 2: Big Pink Loser (#13)
- Season 3: The Camping Episode (#7)
- Season 4: Karate Island (#1)
- The worst performing episodes per season were:
- Season 1: Hall Monitor (#99)
- Season 2: Procrastination (#100)
- Season 3: Clams (#98)
- Season 4: Shell of a Man (#85)
- ^ https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nickelodeon-gives-kids-their-best-spongebob-day-ever-with-a-24-hour-marathon-counting-down-viewer-favorites-followed-by-the-best-day-ever-special-and-the-network-premiere-of-the-spongebob-squarepants-movie-56640382.html
- ^ http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-SpongeBobSquarePantsnickratingsbestever,0,5020576.story?coll=zap-tv-headlines
- ^ Rankings according to nick.com
- ^ Rank #100 on television was shown as "Procrastination." This was the same with the TurboNick rank. However, TurboNick later changed the ranking episode to "Sailor Mouth."
- ^ Rank #97 on television was shown as "Tea at the Treedome." This was the same with the TurboNick rank. However, TurboNick changed the ranking episode to "Welcome to the Chum Bucket."
- ^ "Bossy Boots" was referred to as "Working Pearl" during the marathon.
- ^ "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV" was referred to as "Mermaid Man IV" during the marathon.
- ^ "SquidBob TentaclePants" was referred to as "Squidward Tentaclepants" during the marathon.
- ^ "Nasty Patty" was referred to as "The Nasty Patty" during the marathon.
- ^ Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture was supposed to be "Enemy In-Law" during the marathon
- ^ Employee of the Month was supposed to be Neptune's Spatula during the marathon.
- ^ "The Great Snail Race" was referred to as "Great Snail Race" during the marathon.
- ^ "Snowball Effect" was referred to as "The Snowball Effect" during the marathon.
- ^ "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V" was referred to as "Super Friends" during the marathon.
- ^ "Have You Seen This Snail?" was referred to as "|Where's Gary?" during the marathon.
- ^ http://www.gettyimages.com/event/new-york-marathon-nickelodeon-spongebob-sponge-station-72371604
- ^ http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nickelodeon-gives-kids-their-best-spongebob-day-ever-with-a-24-hour-marathon-counting-down-viewer-favorites-followed-by-the-best-day-ever-special-and-the-network-premiere-of-the-spongebob-squarepants-movie-56640382.html
- Best Day Ever Site:
- Press Release on the Marathon, on October 31
- 12 episodes that were not skipped
- Ratings success
- Watch (German) episode here
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|