- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Pearl Krabs
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Patrick Star (mentioned)
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 8
- Incidental K2
- Pearl's cyan friend
- Jennifer (purple)
- Incidental 186 (debut)
- Other fish at Bikini Bottom High School
The night before the big school dance, Pearl gets a barnacle on her face. After requesting expensive treatment to get rid of the blemish, Mr. Krabs refuses and asks SpongeBob to help Pearl remove the barnacle. He tries prying the barnacle out with his spatula, then a shovel, then a jackhammer, all to no avail. Then, when Pearl washes her face with soap, more barnacles sprouted up. Thinking all hope is lost, she locks herself in the restroom and cries violently.
SpongeBob then decides to simply hide the barnacles under a layer of facial cream, which ends up making Pearl's face look severely deformed and causing her to be unable to talk. Finally, Pearl asks SpongeBob to get her more soap from the basement's soap press, where he finds Mr. Krabs producing the house's soap. Mr. Krabs explains to SpongeBob that he makes all of his soap out of leftover Krabby Patties. Pearl overhears this and, realizing that she's been washing her face with grease, screams at her father and gives up trying to remove the barnacles.
SpongeBob, inspired by something she said, resolves to cover up the barnacles with Mr. Krabs' precious jewels. Pearl's friends are dazzled by her sparkling face, and they happily depart for the school dance. Mr. Krabs, furious that Pearl is wearing his diamonds, desperately sprints after her, as the episode ends.
- Pearl using the soap and getting more barnacles.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
• Self Surfing - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
‣ Drama Link (c) - Hubert Clifford [barnacle on Pearl's face]
‣ Shock Happening 2 - Harry Lubin [Pearl screams]
‣ Shock Happening 1 - Harry Lubin [Pearl screams again]
• Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob mopping the Krusty Krab floor]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl enters, crying]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Krabs screams]
‣ Melodramatic Moments - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Pearl listing what she wants]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [two customers leave]
• Tip Toe Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["This is eating away at me profit margarine."]
• What Is It - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob singing, mopping]
• Attention! - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob salutes]
• Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs asks SpongeBob to get rid of Pearl's barnacle]
• Attention! - Nicolas Carr ["I will do you this favor."]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["I don't know, SpongeBob."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["He was a really good hypnotist."]
• A Fishy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob using his spatula to remove the barnacle]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["I don't think the spatula's gonna work."]
• A Fishy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob uses a shovel and jackhammer.]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [Pearl screams]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 3 - Phil Green [more barnacles]
• A Fishy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob sniffing soap]
‣ Shock (f) - Dave Hewson [Krabs screams]
‣ Mystery Murder [#60] - Phil Green ["Something wrong, Mr. Krabs?"]
‣ Clumsy (a) - Bernd Gesell ["It's just me beloved daughter Pearl."]
• Salt Water Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl crying in the bathroom]
• Hey Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Hey!"]
‣ Tipsy Turvy - Phil Green [Pearl grabs soap]
‣ Alone in the Old House - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob in the basement]
‣ New Vibe Hits 2011 - Nicolas Carr ["Soap press?"]
‣ Pizzicato Polka - Clive Harrison [Krabs making soap bars out of Krabby Patties]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["Daddy!"]
• Solo Steel 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl cries]
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin ["Don't worry, Pearl."]
• Solo Steel 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl cries again/"The Bikini Bottom High School Dance was supposed to be my chance to sparkle."]
‣ Droopy - Arthur Harold Wilkinson ["I think I have an idea."]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [Pearl's face covered in diamonds]
‣ An Underwater Conversation - Barry Anthony ["We shall see forthwith."]
• Self Surf - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl and her friends go to the dance]
• Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the Sweet & Sour Squidward, Complete Eighth Season, Tales of a Teenage Whale, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 13, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- The barnacles are meant to parody acne, a common skin disease in humans that generally develops during puberty.
- The title card is meant to represent the barnacles on Pearl's face.
- The barnacles on Pearl's face appear to be acorn barnacles.
- The glue SpongeBob uses for the jewels is Patrick's Forever Glue from "Stuck in the Wringer."
- It is impossible for SpongeBob to remove Pearl's barnacles. However, in "Accidents Will Happen," Mr. Krabs and Squidward both have to pop back barnacles off of each other.
- This is the second time Pearl gets a condition. The first was in "Growth Spout."
- This is the third episode to take place mostly at Mr. Krabs' house. The first is "Wet Painters" and the second is "The Slumber Party."
- In this episode, it is revealed that SpongeBob knows how to swim. However, in "SpongeGuard on Duty," he does not know how to. It's possible that SpongeBob took swimming lessons at some point.
- This is the third episode where hypnosis is used/mentioned. The first is "Fear of a Krabby Patty", and the second was "Professor Squidward".
- Both this and its sister episode, "Pet Sitter Pat," have a scene where SpongeBob is swimming through an unusual amount of water.
- This was Andrew Goodman's first episode as a writer.
- Just after the customers leave for the Chum Bucket across the street and Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob stand in front of the Krusty Krab doors, the Chum Bucket is not there.
- The clock in the background when Pearl is crying looks like it would say 3 o'clock, but it is really 4.
- When Mr. Krabs' jewels are first shown, they are in multiple colors, but when SpongeBob glues them on Pearl, they are all in one color.
- When Mr. Krabs opens his vault of jewels, he opens the door to the right. When he is horrified to learn his jewels were taken, the door opens to the left.