Tim, better known by his superhero name Barnacle Boy, is the sidekick of Mermaid Man. He is a superhero and a parody of both Aqualad and Robin. He is said to be 68 years old. He first appears in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy."
Barnacle Boy's voice actor, Tim Conway, passed away in 2019. Along with Mermaid Man and Grandma SquarePants, he is one of the three supporting characters who have been retired from the series. He became retired from the series alongside Mermaid Man ever since Ernest Borgnine's death in 2012. He and Mermaid Man now appear in non-speaking appearances or as toys.
- 1 Description
- 2 Video games
- 2.1 Operation Krabby Patty
- 2.2 SuperSponge
- 2.3 Employee of the Month
- 2.4 Battle for Bikini Bottom/Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated
- 2.5 Lights, Camera, Pants!
- 2.6 SpongeBob's Truth or Square
- 2.7 SpongeBob's Boating Bash
- 2.8 SpongeBob SquigglePants
- 2.9 Nicktoons MLB
- 2.10 Nicktoons: Android Invasion
- 3 Trivia
- 4 See also
- 5 References
Barnacle Boy is tall, thin, bald, has a round head, a very large nose, puffy ears, wears a sailor hat, a black mask, and a turquoise neckerchief. As an older man, he bears a slight resemblance to Squidward. He also wears dark blue rubber gloves, boots, a red T-shirt, and rubber black shorts. As the younger of the duo, he is more sane and self-aware than Mermaid Man. However, Barnacle Boy is also more cranky. He often calls Mermaid Man an "old coot." He is revealed to be 68 years old in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V." As his younger self, instead of a black mask, he wears glasses and is much taller. Also, as his younger self, his neckerchief is space-control. His nose is also smaller.
Barnacle Boy possesses powers similar to Mermaid Man, though he lacks the belt powers. Barnacle Boy also has "Sulfur Vision" - a form of heat vision - which Mermaid Man has never been shown to have. Like Mermaid Man, his powers do not work as well as they used to, mostly due to old age.
Despite being a senior citizen, Barnacle Boy is still treated like a child by his mentor, much to his disdain. In "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V," when Mermaid Man orders a Pipsqueak Patty for Barnacle Boy at the Krusty Krab, they get into an argument, which ultimately results in Barnacle Boy becoming a villain and forming a group called "E.V.I.L." (Every Villain Is Lemons) with Man Ray and the Dirty Bubble. After a protracted fight with Mermaid Man and the "International Justice League of Super Acquaintances" which E.V.I.L. wins, he and Mermaid Man patch things up. Barnacle Man (as he prefers to be called) gets a little more respect now.
Barnacle Boy makes a cameo with Mermaid Man in Boating School #101 and has a picture signed with an autograph.
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are in Rock Bottom when Patrick and Mermaid Man have a soda drinking contest. Patrick ends up winning, but Mermaid Man gets injured and SpongeBob finds help to get him in the invisible boatmobile.
Later, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy leave Rock Bottom. At the end of the game, they are at Neptune's Paradise with SpongeBob.
In the console versions of the original Battle for Bikini Bottom, and all versions of Rehydrated, Barnacle Boy appears in the Mermalair where Plankton's robots have invaded. He is also present in Rock Bottom and Kelp Forest.
If the player goes into the Rock Bottom Museum for the first time as SpongeBob, it is revealed that Barnacle Boy has a son, a daughter-in-law, and four "screaming" grandchildren.
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy appear during a new episode being directed by Gill Hammerstein. In it, the duo is falsely accused of destroying the Sand Stadium when it was stolen by the Sneaky Hermit. However, when they are sent to Bikini Bottom Jail, the prison warden tells them what is happening and frees them so they can catch the villain, thus accidentally letting the Dirty Bubble and Man Ray go free.
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy go to Goo Lagoon and the Krusty Krab to find clues. When they go to the Chum Bucket, they discover that Man Ray and the Dirty Bubble are using the mayor's child as their captive in an attempt to help the Sneaky Hermit's plans. They reluctantly make a truce with the villains and work together to find the Sneaky Hermit with some help from an expert hunter from Jellyfish Fields.
They manage to track down the hermit and foil his plan of putting Bikini Bottom on his back so he can have a home. When the crisis ends, they return to the Sand Stadium to continue to watch the musical performance.
He and Mermaid Man appear in the Mermalair and SpongeBob's bedroom.
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy appear when SpongeBob and Patrick want to borrow the invisible boatmobile.
They later appear when SpongeBob gets his "license" from Seymour Scales. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy later arrest Seymour for being a fraud.
They are also unlockable characters who drive in the same boat during the races.
He appears in some of the Comic Book nano-games.
He and Mermaid Man are seen as a card.
He and Mermaid Man are mentioned after SpongeBob rescues El Tigre for Zim's telephone booth.
- On the DVD episode listings, his name is spelled as "Barnacleboy."
- The SpongeBob SquarePants Experience, a book by animation historian Jerry Beck, uses this fanart by DeviantArt user EnterPraiz for Barnacle Boy's image. EnterPraiz did not release his fanart under Creative Commons, so it seems Jerry Beck took the fanart without permission and without checking to see its license.
- Barnacle Boy's arm on the fanart is even obviously airbrushed to remove the other side of it, where EnterPraiz put Mermaid Man and his artist signature.
- Barnacle Boy has a bad case of dandruff.
- Barnacle Boy seems to enjoy eating meatloaf.
- Barnacle Boy is retired but still fights crime.
- A kid appears dressed as Barnacle Boy in "The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom."
- He has hair growing out the wrinkles on his liver spots.
- Barnacle Boy had become a superhero during the 1960s-like era.
- Burt Ward, who voices Tim, was also the potrayer of Robin from the 1960s TV show, Batman.
- He has a case of cauliflower ear, in which the ear becomes swollen and deformed. This condition is commonly seen in elderly people.
- In the Russian dub, Barnacle Boy had his name changed several times. Initially, in the first three Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy-centered episodes, his name was "Очкарик," which roughly translates to "Glasses Boy," then in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV," his name was "Прилипала," which roughly translates to "Suction Boy." In "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V," his name was "Юнга," which roughly translates to "Sea Cadet" and in "Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture," his name was "Малыш-Ковбой," which roughly translates to "Cowboy Kid."
- In the German dub, Barnacle Boy is called "Blaubarschbube," which translates to "bluefish boy." This is not the only instance in SpongeBob where "barnacle" is translated as "Blaubarsch," the other being The Ugly Barnacle (ger. Der hässliche Blaubarsch).
- Barnacle Boy's real name is Tim, which is a nod to the first name of his late voice actor Tim Conway.
- Mermaid Man's real name, Ernie, shares the same attribute to his own voice actor, Ernest Borgnine.
- In the Danish dub, he has two names which change during the seasons. In season 1 to 2, he is called "Andeskælsdrengen," which means Barnacle Boy. From season 3 onward, his name was changed to "Klæbedrengen," which means "sticky" or "Glue Boy."
- In the Croatian dub, he speaks with a Bosnian dialect.
- ^ "Mermaid Man Begins." SpongeBob SquarePants. Nickelodeon. DATE. Television.
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/502519292349673473
- ^ "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V"
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/732673043277864960?
- ^ "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob." SpongeBob SquarePants. Nickelodeon. DATE. Television.
- ^ "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy." SpongeBob SquarePants. Nickelodeon. August 21, 1999. Television.
|Recurring characters (V • E)|
Patchy • Potty • French Narrator • Mermaid Man • Barnacle Boy • Flying Dutchman • King Neptune • Larry the Lobster • Harold SquarePants • Margaret SquarePants • Grandma SquarePants • Realistic Fish Head • Perch Perkins • Bikini Bottomites • Jellyfish
Other recurring characters