Template:Infobox episode Time cards shown:
- Day Two
- Day Three
- Day Four
- Squidward Tentacles
- Squilliam Fancyson (Debut)
- Squidward's Band:
- "Comic Walk" Squilliam: (I hear you're playing the cash register now)
- "Semper Fidelis" (the band tries, badly, to play it during the marching practice)
- "Taps" (played after the flag twirlers' demise)
- Sweet Victory
|compsed by||Phil aaron|
Squidward gets a call from his high school classmate, Squilliam Fancyson, who is very successful and has succeeded in everything that Squidward failed in. He asks Squidward for his band to substitute for his own at the Bubble Bowl (a parody of football events such as the Super Bowl), believing (correctly) that he does not have one, However, Squidward denies that he doesn't have a band and accepts the offer. He assembles a large marching band, comprised of various Bikini Bottomites, including all the other main characters.
During their one week of training, the band performs consistently badly and fails to improve at all. This Includes the Drummers throwing the sticks pinning Squidward to the wall and Patrick and Sandy get in a fight when he kicks Sandy, as a result he gets a trombone stuck up him. (He thought the figure of speech 'Start kicking' meant to kick someone).
On day two, while practicing a march, two flag twirlers are killed ( Only one was killed but the other got fractured ) when they fly into the air and crash into a blimp, as result of them spinning too fast, at Squidward's demand. They all mourn and play 'Taps', except for Squidward, who just collapses to the ground.On the third day, Plankton plays his harmonica, but becomes exhausted from having to run from one place to another since he is very small and collapses. On the last day of practice, Squidward says if everyone plays loud they'll be good but instead they play so bad Squidward changes the idea of loud to quiet. A heckler gets upset when he is accused of bad playing then Mr. Krabs gets in the idea and everyone gets into a huge brawl smashing the instruments and hurting people offensively,causing the band to break up. At this time, a grieving Squidward expresses his disappointment in all of them and goes home to grieve over his failure. However, SpongeBob convinces them to go through with the performance for Squidward's sake. He says that if Squidward were someone who did something they'd never forget then maybe they should do something for him. So he takes command of their training.
On the day of the concert, Squilliam shows up to see Squidward's failure, and he claims that his band died in a marching accident. However, Squidward's band shows up and he is forced to go through with the performance. They enter a large glass dome, which rises up and takes them to a live-action football field for a team called the Showboats, complete with human fans. Squidward turns his head away from the band before they begin, assuming that the performance will be a disaster, but the band is tremendously successful, playing a rock ballad of Sweet Victory. Squilliam goes into a state of shock and faints from a heart attack, leaving Squidward to celebrate his "Sweet Victory".
- This episode is number 9 on Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes. His description says:
"Squid tries to 'inspire' Bikini Bottom's doofy denizens into being a tight marching band – but it's like herding kittens. 'Sweet Victory' is like the best song– type power ballad in history. I love Squidward's freeze-frame at the end, too."
- The song used in this episode, Sweet Victory, was performed by David Glen Eisley of the 1980s heavy metal band, Giuffria.
- Many fans think that this should have been the final episode of Spongebob to give it the 'epic' ending feel.
- When everyone in the room is talking, SpongeBob and Patrick are sitting next to each other. However, when Patrick asks if mayonnaise is an instrument, he is sitting next to Sandy.
- When Squidward leaves the Rec center for the final time, he says "I'll just tell them you all died in a marching accident". Ironically, one person actually did die in a marching accident (the other just got injured).
- The German title of the episode, "Hör mal, wer da spielt" (roughly translated: "Listen, who's playing"), is probably an allusion to the German title of Home Improvement, which is "Hör mal, wer da hämmert" (roughly translated: "Listen, who's hammering").
- It is stated that Larry's heart once gave out from too many tanning pills.
- Nicktoons in the JP aired the "Sweet Victory" scene on a continuous loop for a few days after Telewest decided to include them in their cable packages again.
- Throughout the scenes of the rehearsals, the characters constantly change instruments.
- When Squidward asks the brass section to repeat after him, Pearl is seen with a saxophone. Although it is a woodwind instrument, it is often placed with the brass in marching bands.
- In the Tokyo,Japan version of this episode, the French narrator and the announcer in the stadium are not heard.
- During the Nicktoons Superstuffed Weekend during Thanksgiving 2007, the song "Sweet Victory" named as the #1 Nicktoon moment of all time.
- The flyer for Squidward's band says:
Looking to add fulfillment to your dull, dull life? Then become a part of the greatest musical sensation ever to hit Bikini Bottom and be forever adored by thousands of people you don't know. Not to mention - free refreshments! Practice begins tonight, 8:30 sharp.
- The Bubble Bowl "real life" crowd is footage from a USFL Memphis Showboats vs. Tampa Bay Bandits game.
- On the Day 3 time card, the background is the same exact one used for the "I Was a Teenage Gary" title card.
- One of the flag twirlers who died on Day 2 appears on Day 4 saying "Hey, class is over!" and the bubble bowl.He must have got injured in the marching accident.
- In the beginning of the episode, when Squilliam calls Squidward, Squilliam tells Squidward that he is busy, and can't make it. But, at the end of the episode, Squilliam shows up to watch Squidward humiliate himself, implying that he did the whole thing just to humiliate Squidward.
- The title card is the same as A Life in a Day.
- An interesting fact is, that during the Big Band Battle, everyone uses their signature instruments to fight.
- In Bahasa Indonesia, SpongeBob blabbers "Alalalalala" instead of "A-one, a-two, a-scidilly-didilly-doo".
- In Italy, SpongeBob blabbers "A-one, a-two, a-Scooby-Dooby-Doo!".
- When Nancy calls SpongeBob "talking cheese", it may be a reference to the fact that Stephen Hillenburg originally made sure that "Sponge" was in SpongeBob's name in order to let audiences know that he isn't made of cheese.
- When the Class was over in Day 4, Squidward was inside, but when the band leaves, squidward opens the doors and he was outside.
- In some versions, the final playing scene has been cut for time reasons.
- Part of Pearl's skirt is gone when SpongeBob talks to Evelyn and Larry, but reappers in the next scene, and then disappears again
- On the Nick.com's SpongeBob official site, the episode video description states that Squidward only has minutes to put together a band for the Bubble Bowl, yet the band actually has four days to train.
- During the band's performance of "Sweet Victory" when the main cast (minus Mrs. Puff and Plankton) is shown, Mr. Krabs is playing a purple keytar, but during the panning the keytar is Green.
- Also when the full band scene, all of the main cast move in some way but Mr. Krabs doesn't move at all.
- Patrick's horn, on day four, looks like a vuvuzuela.
- Sandy's air helmet in the band room appears to be in front of a fish as it can be seen, but disappears when passing Sandy's air helmet
- In this episode, Plankton is shown that he is smaller than harmonica hole. But later, Plankton is same size as the microphone when he sings with SpongeBob.
- When Patrick sits down with the trombone on his neck, the note goes down. In reality, the note would go up.
- The final scene is parodied many times on YouTube using different songs by different artists.
- Squilliam mentions "Ibuprofen", a common Over-the-counter pain reliever.
- The part where Patrick says "Is mayonnaise an instrument?" and Squidward answers "No, Patrick mayonaise is not an instrument." has become a popular meme in YouTube where they make Patrick and Squidward say different (mostly non-sailor mouthed ) things instead of mayonaise for example: Pingas, Spaghetti, Dr. Octagonapus, dr. octamother!\#$%^&gonapus, mama LUIGI, and The Ugly Barnacle and play it so many times and ends with Squidward telling Patrick to SHUT the (beep) UP!!! or Shoop Da Whoops (Fires a laser with googly eyes and a giant red mouth) Patrick.
- When Mrs. Puff smashes Harold and Mr. Krabs with the cymbals, she appears much bigger than she normally is.
- The drums can't make a musical note.
- In the Marching Parade, you can distinguish Pearl from the other characters because she appears as a gigantic rectangle shape.
- (Squidward is playing his clarinet, doorbell rings)
Doctor: Yeah, uh, we're with the pet hospital down the street, and I understand you have a dying animal on the premises. (slams door)
- [At band class]
- Squidward: Let's just try stepping in rhythm. Now, I want everyone to line up in straight rows of five.
- SpongeBob: Is this the part where we start kicking?
- Squidward: No SpongeBob, that's a chorus line.
- Patrick: Kicking? Oh, I wanna do some kicking! [Kicks Sandy]
- Sandy: Ow! Why you...! Why I oughta...! [Sandy begins beating Patrick up. The fight tumbles outside]
- Patrick: AAAAAAAAAH! [awkward silence, then Patrick pokes his head through the door] Whoever's the owner of the White Sedan, you left your lights on. [Patrick walks through the doors. Revealing that he has a trombone for a neck. The instrument plays a note at every footstep Patrick takes. When Patrick sits down, the trombone plays a long, low note along with Patrick opening his mouth to make the sound. Patrick looks at the trombone]
- Squidward: People, people, settle down. OK, now, how many of you have played musical instruments before?
- Plankton: Do instruments of torture count?
- Squidward: No.
- Patrick: Is mayonnaise an instrument?
- Squidward: No Patrick, Mayonnaise is not an instrument. [Patrick raises his hand]
- Squidward: Horseradish is not an instrument either. [Patrick lowers his hand]
- Squidward: Now the drums! [SpongeBob and two fish have their drumsticks in their mouths. They blow, which shoots the drumsticks in Squidward's direction, pinning him to the wall]
- Squidward: Too bad that didn't kill me.
- Squidward: I have a theory, people talk loud when they wanna act smart, right?
- Plankton: (shouts) CORRECT!
- Squidward: So, if we play loud, people might think we're good! Everybody ready! A-one a-two a-one two three four! (The band plays really loud, blowing out the windows of the building, and sound worse than before)
- Squidward: (Squidward's face is blown back by the force, baton breaks in half) Okay, New theory. Maybe we should play so quietly nobody can hear us.
- Harold: Well maybe we wouldn't sound so bad if some people didn't try to play with big meaty claws!
- Mr. Krabs: What did you say, punk?
- Harold: Big, meaty, CLAWS!
- Mr. Krabs: Well these claws ain't for just attracting mates!
- Harold: Bring it on old man! Bring it on!
- SpongeBob: No, people. Let's be smart and bring it off.
- Nancy: Oh! So now the talking cheese is gonna preach to us!
- [Outside the Bubble Bowl]
- Squidward: I knew this was going happen. They're just gonna have to find another band to play. I just hope that [Spots Squilliam] SQUILLIAM DOESN'T FIND OUT! SQUILLIAM!!!! AAAAAAAAAAUUGH!!!!!!!!! What are you doing here?
- Squilliam: I just came to see you blow it. So, where's your band?
- Squidward: They couldn't come they...died.
- Squilliam: Then who's that?
- Squidward: [sees fancy band] AHHHHHHHH! THAT WOULD BE MY BAND!
- SpongeBob: We're ready to perform Squidward.
- Squilliam: Well Squiddy, this is exactly how I pictured your band would look. [SpongeBob's waving his hands back and forth along with his tongue]
- Squidward: That's his...eager face.
- [At the Bubble Bowl, looking at the humans]
- Patrick: These are some ugly looking fish.
- SpongeBob: Maybe we're near one of those toxic waste dumps.
- Mr. Krabs: I think I'm gonna be sick!
- [After first talking with Squilliam at his house]
- Squidward: I've got to drum up a marching band fast...heh, drum. Band humor.
(driving to band class)
- Squidward: Stupid music rental clerk made me late! That trilobite didn't know an oboe from an elbow! Heh heh heh...More band humor.
- Crowd: Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah!(repeated line)
- Squidward: Brass section! Go! [some fish with brass instruments repeat his notes for five times] Good! Now,the drums! [Sponge and two other fish try to blow on the drumsticks to make noise for eight times. They fly out of their mouths and hit Squid, two on his shirt and one under his arm, pinning him to the wall.] Too bad that didn't kill me. (Fades out, too bad indeed for Squidward anyway.)
- (phone rings)
- Squidward: Hello. You've reached the house of unrecognized talent. Please start after the (blows clarinet).
- Squilliam: Sounds as though you've got a dying animal to attend to, eh, old chum?
- Squidward: (gasp) Squilliam Fancyson from band class?
- Squilliam: I hear you're playing the cash register, now.
- Squidward: Um, sometimes. How's the unibrow?
- Squilliam: It's big and valuable. I'm the leader of a big fancy band, now. And we're supposed to play the bubble bowl next week.
- Squidward: The bu-bu-bu-? The bu-bu-bu-? The bu-bu-bu-?
- Squilliam: That's right! I'm living your dreams, Squidward. The problem is, I'm busy next week and can't make it. So, I was hoping you and your band could cover for me.
- Squidward: Uh... Uh, Ummm...
- Squilliam: I knew it! You don't even have a band! Well, I'll just let you get back to the service industry, now.
- Squidward: HOLD IT! It just so matters that I DON'T sell fast food, I DO have a band, and we're going to play that bubble bowl! How do you like that, fancy boy?
- Squilliam: Good luck next Tuesday. I hope the audience brings lots of ibuprofen! (hangs up)
- Squidward: Don't bother showing up tomorrow, I'll just tell them you all died in a marching accident. So "thanks," thanks for nothing!
Patrick: You're Welcome
APM Music Identification
- Here Comes the Band! (a) - Title card
- Comic Walk - "I hear you're playing the cash register now."; "I just wanted to watch you blow it."
- On the Beach - "I got to drum up a marching band fast" and during the montage of Bikini Bottom dwellers reading Squidward's flyer
- Like Strange - "What did you say, punk?!"
- Hawaiian Cocktail - "Well, you did it. You took my one chance at happiness and crushed it. Crushed it into little tiny, bite-size pieces. I really had expected better of you people. I guess I'm a loser for that, too. Don't bother showing up tomorrow. I'll just tell them you all died in a marching accident. So, thanks, thanks for nothing!"
- Fates - "What kind of monsters are we?"
- Whisper from the Past - "Evelyn, when your little Jimmy was trapped in a fire, who rescued him?"
- Hawaiian Link A - "I knew this was going to happen."
- Dramatic Cue A - "I just hope that ... SQUILLIAM DOESN'T FIND OUT!! SQUILLIAM! AH!"
- Dramatic Cue D - "Ah! That would be my band!"
- Send Them Victorious (b) - the fanfare that the band plays before "Sweet Victory"
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|