- Squidward Tentacles
- Purple Doctorfish
- Squilliam Fancyson (debut)
- Squilliam's band (mentioned)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Fish who passes by Plankton
- Mrs. Puff
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Larry the Lobster
- Music Rental Clerk (mentioned)
- Jimmy Gus
- Squidina's mother
- Ivy (gray)
- Nathiel Waters
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Clay (green)
- Pearl Krabs
- Medley Fishbowl
- Peterson Nat Tucker
- Miss Shell
- Harold (red fish)
- Frank (red shirt)
- Fred (normal; tan)
- Evelyn (normal; green)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Tina Fran
- Frankie Billy
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Nazz-Mimi (purple)
- Fireman (mentioned)
- Paramedic (mentioned as "some guy in an ambulance")
- Human audience (debut)
- Owner of the white sedan (mentioned)
One day, after Squidward turns away a doctor who arrived at his house after mistaking his clarinet playing for a "dying animal", he receives a call from his former highs chool classmate and rival Squilliam Fancyson. The rich, successful, and very smug Squilliam informs Squidward that he is the leader of a band that is supposed to play the prestigious Bubble Bowl the following week, but he will be unable to attend. He gives Squidward a backhanded offer to replace him, correctly suspecting that Squidward does not have his own band. However, Squidward defiantly insists that he does have a band and accepts the offer, before posting flyers around Bikini Bottom looking for people to join his band. On the first night of rehearsals, Squidward brings his rented instruments to a practice hall filled with townspeople, though some of them (particularly Mr. Krabs) had come for the promise of free refreshments. Upon discovering that none of his prospective bandmates have any previous musical experience, Squidward teaches them the basics. Unfortunately, the night doesn't end well as Sandy beats up Patrick and shoves his body through the bore of a trombone after the latter kicks her leg.Things don't get any better during the second day of training; while practicing a march through the street (while playing a horrible rendition of Semper Fidelis), two flag twirlers are killed when they spin their flags too fast (per Squidward's demand), causing them to fly into the air and crash into a passing blimp. On the third day, Squidward checks on Plankton's harmonica solo, though he becomes exhausted and collapses from running back and forth between the holes as the harmonica is much bigger than him. On the fourth and final day of practice, Squidward says that while none of them have made any improvement since the beginning, he suggests that everyone play loud so they will be good. Unfortunately, they take this theory a bit too literally as they play so loud and badly that the windows of the practice hall break and Squidward's face is deformed beyond recognition, prompting him to change the plan to playing extremely quietly so nobody will hear them.
The band members then begin to insult each other, and despite Squidward attempting to quell the rising tensions, a mass brawl breaks out that damages most of the instruments. When the clock hits 10PM, the fighting ends and everyone starts to head home. Squidward stops them at the entrance and expresses his disappointment at their lack of progress and for not taking his dream seriously. After Squidward leaves in distress at his failure, SpongeBob asks the townspeople to think about all of the times Squidward came through for them. Despite drawing a blank, they are convinced enough to give practice one more try for Squidward's sake, with SpongeBob taking command as the trainer. The day of the performance arrives, and Squidward prepares to finalize his band's cancellation, only to find Squilliam waiting for him at the entrance of the Bubble Bowl. Squidward tries to explain that his band can no longer play as they all died in a marching accident, but they suddenly appear behind him in full uniform and with their instruments at ready, forcing Squidward to go through with the performance. As everyone enters a huge glass dome, Squidward bemoans the humiliation that he is certain is awaiting him. The dome rises into a football stadium filled with human fans, and Patrick quotes "These are some ugly looking fish". Squidward, still fearing that the performance will be a disaster, nervously begins conducting. But to his and Squilliam's astonishment, the band performs a rock ballad called Sweet Victory (with SpongeBob's lead vocals being sung by the song's writer, David Glen Eisley) and it turns out to be a tremendous success. As the crowd sways in awe and Squilliam faints in shock, Squidward throws away his baton and leaps into the air in triumph, ending the episode.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ ? - Brad Carow [Squidward playing his clarinet]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr ["Squilliam Fancyson from band class?"]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["I hear you're playing the cash register now."]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer ["I gotta drum up a marching band fast!"/everyone reading Squidward's flyer]
‣ ? - Brad Carow, Nicolas Carr, Robert Lee Faust, Ira Nepus [band playing]
‣ Taps - played after explosion
‣ Like Strange - Kenny Graham ["What did you say, punk?"]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["You took my one chance at happiness and crushed it."]
‣ Fates - Gregor F. Narholz ["What kind of monsters are we?"]
‣ Whisper from the Past - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob's pep talk]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [Bubble Bowl]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer [Squidward sees Squilliam]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["I just wanted to watch you blow it."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer ["That would be my band!"]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squilliam laughs]
‣ Gala A - Dieter Reith [live-action football field]
‣ Send them Victorious (b) - Graham De Wilde [fanfare]
‣ Sweet Victory 1 - David Eisley, Bob Kulick [ending]
- This episode is available on the Halloween, Home Sweet Pineapple, Big Hits: Volume 2, Triple Pack 4, Holidays with SpongeBob 3-DVD Gift Set, Glumly Squidward, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 3, From the Beginning, Pt.1, Laugh Pack, The Complete Second Season, The First & Second Seasons, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, Complete 2nd Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- It was also available on the Home Sweet Pineapple (VHS) tape.
- On The Winner Take All Sunday this episode was #6
- During the Super Stuffed Nicksgiving Weekend in 2007, the song "Sweet Victory" was named as the #1 Nicktoon moment of all time.
- In SpongeBob's Top 100 Marathon in UK, this episode was #1.
- This episode is #9 on Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes. His description says:
Squid tries to "inspire" Bikini Bottom's doofy denizens into being a tight marching band – but it's like herding kittens. "Sweet Victory" is like the worst Night Ranger – type power ballad in history.
- "Band Geeks" was ranked #38 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- According to The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash, David Archuleta rated this episode as his favorite.
- Just like "Frankendoodle," "Krusty Love," and the "The Secret Box," SpongeBob is colored with a darker shade of yellow.
- This episode premiered in Canada on January 18, 2002.
- There is a book based on the episode named Star Power!
- In the Croatian dub, the episode title is "Kalamarkov Bend," which translates to "Squidward's Band."
- The flyer for Squidward's band reads as follows: "Looking to add fulfillment to your dull, dull life? Then become a part of the greatest musical sensation ever to hit Bikini Bottom and be forever adored by thousands of people you don't know. Not to mention free refreshments! Practice begins tonight, 8:30 sharp."
- The ending is similar to The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie: someone happily jumps in to the air and the screen freezes as it fades to black.
- The Bubble Bowl "real-life" crowd is the footage used from a USFL Memphis Showboats vs. Tampa Bay Bandits game at the Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium in Memphis, Tennessee back in the 1980s.
- During day two when the band is marching down the street, they are actually doing a rendition of "Semper Fidelis," regarded as the official marching song of the U.S. Marine Corps.
- This episode came packaged in a PVD in black and white with the VideoNow personal video player by Hasbro. The episode was later released in color with "The Secret Box."
- On the "Day Three" time card, the background is the same as the "I Was a Teenage Gary" title card.
- In the Latin American Spanish version, the title card is called "Squidward's Band Geek."
- SpongeBob's eager face was used in the online games Reef Rumble and Nick's Not So Ultimate Boss Battles.
- It was also used in the short Super Bowl LIII Halftime Show short.
- Three scenes from this episode have become famous internet memes:
- On Nick.com's official SpongeBob site, the original episode video description stated that Squidward only has minutes to put together a band for the Bubble Bowl, yet the band actually has four days to train.
- In the Japanese dub of this episode, the French Narrator and the announcer in the stadium are not heard.
- In Latin America, during the day one training, the line where SpongeBob interferes Squidward after he asks everyone to stand in rows of five saying "Is this the part where we start kicking?" Squidward's response was changed. In English, he replies "No SpongeBob, that's a chorus line" (which in Spanish would translate to "No SpongeBob, esa es una linea de coro"), while in the Latin American version, he replies "No SpongeBob, you think this is Karate?" (which in Latin American Spanish translates to "No SpongeBob, ¿crees que esto es Karate?"). However, this is countered by the fact that in the Latin American version, while asking the drum line to repeat the line from his clarinet, instead of saying "Drums" ("Tambores" in Spanish), he says "Percussion" ("Percusion" in Spanish), which is a far less common denomination of the instrument.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Kapela Skalmara," which translates to "Squidward's Band."
- During the song, when SpongeBob is pointing and Sandy is in the background, SpongeBob is wearing the friendship ring from this episode's sister episode, "The Secret Box."
- A clip from this episode was used at the Super Bowl LIII halftime show to honor the death of the show's creator, Stephen Hillenburg.
- The Bubble Bowl is a parody of the Super Bowl, a series of football games where two Teams with the most Victories compete on who will be the Champion.
- Part of Pearl's skirt is gone when SpongeBob talks to Evelyn and Larry, but reappears in the next scene, and then disappears again.
- During the band's performance of "Sweet Victory" when the main cast is shown, Mr. Krabs is playing a purple keytar, but during the panning the keytar is green.
- During the full band scene, all of the main cast moves in some way but Mr. Krabs does not move at all.
- When everyone in the room is talking, SpongeBob and Patrick are sitting next to each other. However, when Patrick asks if mayonnaise is an instrument and when he says "Kicking? I want to do some kicking!," he is sitting next to Sandy.
- Then, after getting beaten by Sandy, Patrick returns to a third seat.
- Throughout the scenes of the rehearsals, the characters constantly change instruments.
- During multiple scenes in which the screen shakes, when televised, it is surrounded by either a brown or blue border. This error also occurs in "Welcome to the Chum Bucket" and "The Secret Box."
- When Squidward says that he really expected better of them, Evelyn's skin is green instead of pink.
- SpongeBob is an even darker shade of yellow than usual for the entire episode. "The Secret Box" also has the same error for the entire episode.
- Patrick's trombone has valves on it, a feature uniquely absent from trombones in real life.
- When Squidward says "That's his eager face," his mouth is somewhat out of sync with the animation.
- When Squidward asks Plankton how the harmonica solo is going, the harmonica is not on the chair. A second later, it is on the chair.
- The saxophone is a woodwind instrument, but when Squidward tells the brass section to play, Harold can be seen playing a saxophone.
- When Squidward tells the woodwind section to play, one of the players is playing a brass instrument.
- When it is day four, all the seats are missing.
- In the shot where Mr. Krabs asks, "When do we get the free food?," Sandy is sitting next to him. Two seats behind Mr. Krabs is Frank. Part of him is shown, but the part that should be shown in Sandy's helmet is not there. It is not a trick with lighting because the part of Fred, who is sitting behind Mr. Krabs, that is in Sandy's helmet is shown.
- When Patrick opens his mouth while talking with a trombone noise from being stuck in a trombone, the slider goes downwards from a higher-pitched noise to a lower-pitched noise. Correctly, the slider should have been sliding upwards.
- After class was over on the way towards the door, the door flies open revealing Squidward with his arms to his side, as he had not touched the door.
- When the band is shown turning from above, Pearl's nose is unreasonably big and covers several people.
- In Indonesian dub that aired in Global TV (now GTV) as well Nickelodeon Asia Indonesia, instead of saying "Is mayonnaise an instrument?," Patrick says "Is mine an instrument?" and instead of "Horseradish is not an instrument, either," Squidward says "Horse racing is not an instrument, either." However, when the episode was aired in Lativi (now TvOne), the error did not happen.
- During the scene where SpongeBob and Plankton harmonize in singing, SpongeBob's eyelid turns blue for a split second.
- When the glass dome containing the band originally rises up to the field, it is seen to be approximately 10 yards in diameter and positioned just off of the center of the field. Later shots from within the dome looking outward show an entirely different perspective with many more white lines than would be expected.
- None of the sea creatures have ever played musical instruments before, and yet, somehow, on the second day, a fish is able to play "Taps" perfectly on the trumpet.
- Patrick kicking Sandy, making her attack him with a trombone first and then a trumpet.
- People saying "blah blah blah."
- Squidward saying some "band humor."
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)
Golden Reel Awards