April Fool's Day is a holiday that occurs on April 1. The day involves pulling pranks on other people, followed by a "April Fool's!" after the victim gets pranked. The episode "Fools in April" is based on this holiday.
Role in episode
Squidward, fed up and annoyed by SpongeBob's excessive laughter on this holiday, pulls an April Fool's prank on him by squirting mustard on the floor for him to clean up. Once SpongeBob goes to clean it up, his feet are caught in a lasso which Squidward cuts the rope of, sending SpongeBob flying across the Krusty Krab and bumping into several obstacles, ending up in a trash can. Due to the mean spirit of this prank, SpongeBob runs off crying and the Bikini Bottomites turn against Squidward for pulling such a cruel prank.
Squidward pulls off many unsuccessful attempts to apologize to SpongeBob later on, and eventually does so as long as it be kept a secret between the two of them. However, SpongeBob then opens the door to reveal that everyone witnessed his apology and says along with them, "April Fool's!" Squidward then reveals that he was lying about feeling sorry for SpongeBob and says "April Fool's!" himself, running off hysterically.
- April Fool's Day is SpongeBob's favorite holiday.
- However, in "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!," he says Christmas is his favorite time of year.
- "Fools in April" is a wordplay on April Fools.
- Squidward quits on this day and returns a few seconds later.
- Four episodes premiered on this day: "Fools in April," "Neptune's Spatula," "Krusty Towers," and "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired."
- However, only the former is relevant to this holiday.