"Appointment TV" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season eleven. In this episode, the long-lost episode of "Mermaid Man" is finally showing on TV, but SpongeBob may not make it home in time to watch.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Barnacle Star/Barnacle Boy
- Gary the Snail
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Captain Tightwad
- Squidward Tentacles
- Doctor Negative
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Mrs. Puff
- Sandy Cheeks
- Bubble Bass' friends
- Larry the Lobster
- Flying Dutchman (cameo)
- Old Man Jenkins (fat and green)
- Santa Claus (Cameo on one of SpongeBob's VHS tapes)
- French Narrator
- The Moth (cameo)
- Sinister Slug (cameo)
- Impound worker (debut)
- Bikini Bottomites
The episode begins with SpongeBob talking about how the only episode of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy that has never been seen is finally airing on TV, and how he's fully prepared to watch it when it airs after the day's shift at the Krusty Krab.
At the Krusty Krab, the day is going very slowly, making SpongeBob annoyed. When the day's finally over, he rushes to get to his house, but is stopped by Mrs. Puff as she needs him to fix her flat tire. After doing that, he continues rushing to his house, only to get stopped by Patrick who needs him to find his rock at the Impound Yard. Afterwards, Sandy needs him to do a chore, but after he hears two fans of Mermaid Man talking about how no real fan would miss the show, he leaves Sandy and continues rushing to his house.
However, SpongeBob is constantly stopped by several people as they need him to do their tasks. SpongeBob finally goes back home, hoping that he can at least watch the recorded version, only to see his VCR going haywire and all the other things he set up getting ruined and bursting into flames, which sets his house on fire. He cries so loudly everyone can hear him, and everyone feels bad for what they did for SpongeBob.
To compensate for this, they bring SpongeBob, who is in a depressed state, to see a live performance of the episode on an amphitheater. SpongeBob loves their show and thanks them for showing the love they had for him. The episode ends with Old Man Jenkins asking everyone what their doing at his amphitheater, but this makes everyone run away, despite him just wanting to have a role in the play.
- SpongeBob saying "But 'Mermaid Man'" when helping someone.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Moloka'i Nui A - Kapono Beamer [Title card]
‣ Marching to Honolulu - Kapono Beamer [Opening]
• Unknown Track 96 - Nicolas Carr ["...so I can relive the magic..."]
• ? ["...over and over forever!"]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm, but which tape to use?"]
‣ Victory Chords - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] ["Oh, here we go!"]
‣ Ensemble Gliss - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] [SpongeBob puts tape in VCR]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 33 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes to work]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["But today is moving so slowly."]
• Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Everything is slowly at the Krusty Krab]
• Monster Wave - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [SpongeBob runs out of the Krusty Krab]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob bumps into Mrs. Puff's boat]
‣ Midget March - Cedric Palmer [Mrs. Puff asks SpongeBob to help her change the tire of her boat]
• 12th Street Rag 3 with Bass - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob tries to replace the tire of Mrs. Puff's boat]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob thinks for a second]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ Happy Links 6-9 - Paul Fenoulhet [Mrs. Puff drives home]
‣ Happy Links 1-5 - Paul Fenoulhet ["I still have time to get home before my show, if I pick up the pace."]
‣ Happy Links 6-9 - Paul Fenoulhet [Patrick asks SpongeBob to help him to get back his rock]
‣ Walking on the Beach A - Mac Prindy, Kapono Beamer [Patrick looking for his rock at Impound Yard]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 2 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Wait, wait, Patrick! Could you give me a...ride?"]
‣ Kitsch Twist - Harold Geller, Desmond Champ [Sandy asks SpongeBob help]
‣ Eight Comical Cuts - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob runs home]
• Mr Krabs Happy Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Boy-o, you gotta help me sort me loose change!"]
‣ Four More Comical Cuts - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob runs home again]
• Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Montage of SpongeBob helping different people]
‣ Clumsy A - Bernd Gesell [SpongeBob arrives tired at home]
‣ Dramatic Cue (g) - Ronald Hanmer [VCR spits out mangled tape and SpongeBob's house ends up on fire]
• Salt Water Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob crying]
‣ O Makalapua B - Kapono Beamer ["All right, listen up. SpongeBob has helped every single one of us dozens of times over. But we ain't been very helpful to him today."]
• M'Wanna - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob is depressed at home]
‣ Piano Flourish 2 - Sam Fonteyn [Plankton comes out on stage]
• ? ["It's time for the exciting conclusion to...!"]
‣ The Old Pianoplayer - Hans Conzelmann, Delle Haensch [Start of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy play]
‣ Relentless Chase - Keith Nichols ["You should give up while you can, Mermaid Man."]
‣ Rescued - Keith Nichols [End of play]
• He's Our Mermaid Man - Andrew Goodman, Eban Schletter [Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, Sandy, Mrs. Puff, Gary, and Plankton sing this.]
‣ Moloka'i Nui A - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob thanks everyone for the play]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 2 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Cheese it, everyone! It's Old Man Jenkins!"]
• Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy Action Theme - Nicolas Carr, Michael Bolger, Pat Irwin [Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 19 and The Complete Eleventh Season DVDs.
- SpongeBob owns the following VHS tapes:
- "How to Make a Bed"
- "Krusty Krab Training Video"
- The bottom of the spine reads "POOP," an obvious reference to the abbreviation "People Order Our Patties," from said episode.
- "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town"
- "Mr. Krab's Birthday Party"
- "Plankton Ruins Mr. Krab's B-Day"
- "SpongeBob's Birth" (the tape SpongeBob uses to record the episode over)
- When this episode first aired, it was paired up with "Bubbletown," but since it has re-airing with it's sister Episode "Karen's Virus."
- A clip from this episode appears in the Nickelodeon's Unfiltered episode "Cactus Pop Tarts."
- A Krusty Kids Meal appears on SpongeBob's wall.
- When this episode premiered in Wallonia, it was paired up with "Spin the Bottle."
- Some objects from older episodes reappear in this episode:
- SpongeBob acting like a crossing guard is a nod to "Hall Monitor."
- SpongeBob is revealed to own a Mermaid Man wristwatch.
- SpongeBob references "Home Sweet Pineapple." When he goes home, he hugs his house and says "home sweet pineapple!"
- Squidward's backyard retains its appearance from "Bunny Hunt."
- This episode is similar to "Best Day Ever" as SpongeBob plans to do something, but his plans are ruined and then his friends make up for it in the end.
- This episode is also similar to "Overbooked" as SpongeBob does multiple favors for his friends.
- SpongeBob previously watched a lost episode of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy with Patrick in "The Bad Guy Club for Villains."
- This is the first episode to play Molaka'i Nui (a) as the title card since "Picture Day."
- This is the second episode in which Plankton wears a Man Ray helmet.
- Squidward & Mr. Krabs wear their Doctor Negative & Captain Tightwad outfits from "Mermaid Pants".
- Sandy wears her Miss Appear outfit from "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V."
- The badly-played fanfare accenting the shot of the poster for the lost episode of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy (also heard in "A Flea in Her Dome" and "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob") was performed by Stephen Hillenburg himself according to a tweet from sound designer Jeffrey Hutchins.
- This episode premiered during an Nickelodeon airing of Aliens in the Attic.
- The French title of this episode is "L'Épisode À Ne Pas Manquer" which means "The Must-See Episode"
- One of SpongeBob's videotapes references the 1970 Rankin/Bass Christmas special Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town.
- The book Mrs. Puff was reading alludes to Gone with the Wind.
- When SpongeBob says, "Play," only the left half of his mouth moves.
- The VHS tape that's called "Mr. Krab's Birthday Party" should actually be called "Mr. Krabs' Birthday Party" because his last name is "Krabs," not "Krab."