باب اسفنجی (Baab Esfanji) is the title of many Persian dubs of SpongeBob SquarePants. The Persian version has many different dubs, from 5 different channels, all unique in their own way.
All of the dubs are most likely illegally produced as there is no evidence that the dubs are licensed by Viacom or Nickelodeon, more evidence being that none of the dubs have official visual or audio assets (localization and official music and effects).
It is part of International SpongeBob SquarePants.
- SpongeBob SquarePants - باب اسفنجی
- Patrick Star - پاتریک
- Squidward Tentacles :
- بختاپوس (IRIB)
- خودبرتربین (?)
- Eugene H. Krabs :
- آقای خرچنگ (IRIB)
- آقای بداخلاق (?)
- Pearl Krabs - پرل
- Larry the Lobster - لری میگو
- Gary the Snail - گری
The episodes of the show have many differences in them across the multiple versions. Most of the songs used in the episodes are mostly replaced with Persian music, and the music and effects of the episodes are either from the English dub (edited with the Vocal remover feature in an audio editing program) or completely custom instrumentals, for example, in the intro.
- A 43-minute bootleg, called باب اسفنجی در تهران (Baab Esfanji dar Tehran) (SpongeBob in Tehran in English), was aired in 2017. According to some viewers of the film, the movie ends abruptly, with no ending to the story.
- However, the people in the credits have had no résumé in IRIB, so presumably it's a fanmade work slapped in a DVD as a bootleg episode.
- The version that airs on Utoon is the IRIB Pooya version but part of the episode is a music video.
- The name of the setting of the show, Bikini Bottom, was often censored in the IRIB airings, because wearing bikini is offensive for the "Islamic society" of the Iranian Islamic regime (for the same reason, the Wikipedia article for Bikini Atoll was temporarily blocked in Iran), but the DVD releases retained the name, and for the first film, it was dubbed to Mayoe-kenar (مایوکنار).